• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do agree to an extent but we also have to be looking after ourselves. Where are our ambitions if we are sellling our best players? We have to build a squad of players good enough to get out of this league, not sell them at the first opportunity.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I do agree to an extent but we also have to be looking after ourselves. Where are our ambitions if we are sellling our best players? We have to build a squad of players good enough to get out of this league, not sell them at the first opportunity.
I would say our ambitions lie in replacing and adding to those we sell with young talent partly funded by the transfer fees. If managed correctly this can lead to year on year improvement, ultimately leading to those promotions. Selling our best players is far preferable than the Norwood situation where we couldn't even sell our best player! Ultimately, an ambitious player who feels like he should be playing at a higher level will get that move. Surely it is better done with support from the club for players who are in contract and knowing that the club won't hinder their progression?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It will also help the club be self sustainable in the long run.
It's a balancing act as we could have sold Cook but may not have got out the National League and same with Norwood in league 2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would say our ambitions lie in replacing and adding to those we sell with young talent partly funded by the transfer fees.
But I don’t see progression this way. Ultimately that makes us just a feeder club, maturing younger players and selling them on. What about our own progression?

I agree it’s a balancing act and we still have to buy and sell. I just think we’ll be stuck in this division for a long time if we do not try and keep the quality we have.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
But I don’t see progression this way. Ultimately that makes us just a feeder club, maturing younger players and selling them on. What about our own progression?

I agree it’s a balancing act and we still have to buy and sell. I just think we’ll be stuck in this division for a long time if we do not try and keep the quality we have.
One of those rare occasions where we'll have to agree to disagree, @Ian !

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

We always have been but not been able to sell players in recent years with the odd exception

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it depends how well the policy is managed. Clubs like Brentford, Peterborough and Exeter have had a lot of success by selling young players for substantial sums, reinvesting the money in their squads and progressing upwards. I think they are the models we are trying to follow.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Stratulis signs as does Hughes 20 from Everton juniors on 2 year deal and Williams from Oldham juniors 1 year

frenchrover

Player
aldo
It clearly is a number of balancing acts. whereby (a) we recruit youngsters who clearly have the potential to develop and (b) who on doing so are retained by the club until a realistic value is met by a genuine offer from another club. Then (c) monies raised by any such transactions are seen by fans to be used to attract quality replacements who are able to progress the club in terms of league standing. One thing that is for sure is that getting the balance right will not be easy. Failure to achieve all 3 criteria in respect of the majority of development candidates will be seen as a negative, but success in achieving these criteria in the majority of cases should ensure not only stability in terms of the clubs finances but be seen as a springboard to league progression.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Pleased to see Stratulis staying - after his Oldham debut I thought he should have been gven more opportunities last season - hopefully he will be given a fair crack of the whip this time if he is good enough. MM will have to turn to youth whether he likes it or not this year given how many youngsters we have in the squad:)
Hughes sounds like a good addition - 2 year contract as well shows commitment!
So only Foley and MacDonald contract offers outstanding I believe?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The key is to look for promising talent
It clearly is a number of balancing acts. whereby (a) we recruit youngsters who clearly have the potential to develop and (b) who on doing so are retained by the club until a realistic value is met by a genuine offer from another club. Then (c) monies raised by any such transactions are seen by fans to be used to attract quality replacements who are able to progress the club in terms of league standing. One thing that is for sure is that getting the balance right will not be easy. Failure to achieve all 3 criteria in respect of the majority of development candidates will be seen as a negative, but success in achieving these criteria in the majority of cases should ensure not only stability in terms of the clubs finances but be seen as a springboard to league progression.
Agreed. But another issue is contract length. How many decent players have stayed for the one or two years then moved up a division or two on a free? The club has at last had faith in its judgement and offered unproven but promising talent deals of more than two years or (better still) deals of two years with a one-year option (at the club's discretion). When a sensible offer comes in that offers the player significantly more money and progression up the leagues, we normally take it.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Foley signs for Barrow
He must have been offered regular football there.

The idea that Mellon does not favour youth is a myth. Look at the average age of the side in the closing months of last season, let alone this summer's recruitment policy.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The key is to look for promising talent

Agreed. But another issue is contract length. How many decent players have stayed for the one or two years then moved up a division or two on a free? The club has at last had faith in its judgement and offered unproven but promising talent deals of more than two years or (better still) deals of two years with a one-year option (at the club's discretion). When a sensible offer comes in that offers the player significantly more money and progression up the leagues, we normally take it.
Spot on. For it to work we need to be getting the majority of the recruitment right AND offering minimum 2 year contracts. It becomes expensive when the former fails and we have duffers on decent contracts burning a hole in the Club's pocket.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not too upset about foley although would have preferred to keep him as a squad player. I can’t image he’ll play every week at barrow so wonder why he’s chosen as didn’t we offer him another year?
Regardless it’s another loss of experience along with Clarke, NKP and spearing from the dressing room so we do need one or two older heads in the squad I think. Or even just late 20s

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Foley’s departure a little bit surprising. Think the player himself said he wasn’t capable of playing every game and he’s a good reputation while here, so guessing Barrow offering him more dosh? I’m disappointed rather than devastated.

Stratulis showed promise on debut in the Pizza Cup but picked up an injury on loan and barely featured thereafter. Don’t know enough about the others to comment. I do agree with Sparky that we need to bulk up the experience levels in the squad now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Foley’s departure a little bit surprising. Think the player himself said he wasn’t capable of playing every game and he’s a good reputation while here, so guessing Barrow offering him more dosh? I’m disappointed rather than devastated.

Stratulis showed promise on debut in the Pizza Cup but picked up an injury on loan and barely featured thereafter. Don’t know enough about the others to comment. I do agree with Sparky that we need to bulk up the experience levels in the squad now.
If you look at the options in centre midfield, he wasn't likely to be involved much so no real surprise for me. There is also the option of a second year which we will not have offered

Status
Not open for further replies.