• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We need to strengthen at centre back, but KP is still fine as cover against average sides at this level.

Hemmings' link play in the first half was pretty good, but he received no service at all.

Player
Manager
John King
It has been suggested that we are about to sign Ryan Astley, a centre back, on loan from Everton.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Cover for centre half, I expect a midfielder in and one or two out

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The last central defender we loaned from Everton, Feeney picked up an injury in his first game for us and was last seen as a squad player at struggling Carlisle. Going back, Matthew Pennington played on loan for us during the L1 relegation season and has gone on to have a decent career, currently at Shrewsbury. Astley is under contract with Everton until next summer, so they must rate him and he's also a Wales U23 international. We'll have to see what he's like in reality, but on the face of it a decent loab if it happens.

Assuming Foley's injury isn't season ending and we've still got Merrie, not totally convinced we need another midfielder, particularly if we shift to 4231. However if there's a quality player available who'll be more than just a squad player then it becomes more appealing.

Player
Manager
John King
The last central defender we loaned from Everton, Feeney picked up an injury in his first game for us and was last seen as a squad player at struggling Carlisle. Going back, Matthew Pennington played on loan for us during the L1 relegation season and has gone on to have a decent career, currently at Shrewsbury. Astley is under contract with Everton until next summer, so they must rate him and he's also a Wales U23 international. We'll have to see what he's like in reality, but on the face of it a decent loab if it happens.

Assuming Foley's injury isn't season ending and we've still got Merrie, not totally convinced we need another midfielder, particularly if we shift to 4231. However if there's a quality player available who'll be more than just a squad player then it becomes more appealing.
I agree we don't need another midfielder. We have already got Morris, Hawkes, McPake and Foley who can play in a number ten role, and if we play a 442 with two wingers we probably need to start with two defensive midfielders (Spearing and O'Connor) anyway.

Player
aldo
but MM likes his Midfielders he always has could we do with another attacker to help the youngsters out it's a hard one, suggestions mani going thank god he takes Kitson Bains mantel as one of the worst forwards we have ever had, that's my opinion LOL

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well deadline day is here, it will be interesting to see what happens with our squad

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If previous years are anything to go by, we’ll bring in a couple of players last minute. Certainly a centre-back, probably an extra midfielder.

Player
Manager
John King
It looks like we are about to sign somebody. A young centre half or central midfielder from Everton seems likely......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
To prioritise getting another midfielder in when we are short of cover in central defence is puzzling. I hope Lewis enjoys his time with us and is a great loan signing.

Player
Manager
John King
To prioritise getting another midfielder in when we are short of cover in central defence is puzzling. I hope Lewis enjoys his time with us and is a great loan signing.
Did we prioritise the midfielder ? Deals can fall down for a number of reasons, and there is still time for a further announcement.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Meant to be quite good this kid. I don't think there is anything wrong in competition for places. Keeps everyone on their toes!