• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Checked the Twitter
When Feeney first came into the squad, he was used as a winger simply to get crosses into the box, which he did well and was getting assists. Since then he’s been used in all sorts of positions, needless to say pretty ineffective to try and fill in for the striker void.

Leave him to what he is good at and he can be an important player for us. He seems to be taking a lot of flack for recent results pretty harshly in my view.
I agree Ian. We may end up with a better winger, but played out wide he can do s decent job for us and has proved it.

Player
aldo
Well erm, I don,t really know what to make of today, we knew a few of the players coming in hope Walker is fast and can cross a ball, Nicky was not too good last season so I just hope he has the hunger to get in the box and the wide players can feed him

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In response to Sparky's comments about Maynard, I watched some highlights of his goals at Mansfield and a number came from crosses when he found the spaces between the centre halves. You would think he will thrive on Cogley's delivery.

Yes that’s what I’m hoping RLC. I don’t think he’s ever been especially quick in his career and like other goal poachers we’ve had over the years, he has the knack of finding space and being able to finish chances off.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rolling squad list (updated):

Goalkeepers
Scott Davies
Joe Murphy
Ross Doohan

Defenders
Josh Cogley
Lee O'Connor
Tom Davies
Nathaniel Knight-Percival
Peter Clarke
Callum MacDonald
Joe Maguire

Midfielders
Jay Spearing
Ryan Watson
Chris Merrie
Sam Foley
Kieron Morris
Liam Feeney
Callum McManaman
Mark Duffy

Forwards
Nicky Maynard
Stephen Walker
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe
Paul Glatzel
Charlie Jolley
Elliot Nevitt

First and second year professionals
Ben Jones
Jake Burton
Kyle Hayde
Ryan Stratullis

Last update until January ?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. Interesting to note only three players with two-year deals, Cogley, Merrie and Watson. Last year we had four, but Vaughan retired after just a year.

The fact is that our financial position discourages long contracts. We don't take the risk on inexperienced youngsters or players nearing the end of their careers. In most cases, those are the only players we can afford. A positive spin on this is that we don't want any deadwood if we get promoted, so the only players we seem to give longer deals to are those we think could play at a higher level.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thank for the rolling squad RLC. Could be a bun fight for the attacking midfield position/s. I wonder how narrow MM will set it up.
I'm guessing Walker might get tried wide in the same way Glatzel did.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And Jolley too!

Player
Manager
John King
As an aside to the general debate about our squad strength, I do think people tend to massively overestimate the strength of other squads at this level when considering our promotion chances. Yes, there is still doubt regarding our forwards, but the wider squad is still stronger and deeper than many.

For example, I would say only Salford and Mansfield have more than one striker that guarantees goals, and even then there are doubts regarding a player like Hawkins at Mansfield. Much has been made of the strength of Bradford's strikers, but it is only Cook who guarantees goals for them (he was released by Mansfield at the same time as Maynard, interestingly enough). Angol is average and injury prone, Lavery is also average, and last night they signed Theo Robinson who is useless.

None of the teams we have played this season has a better squad on paper than ours. The two sides that have just beaten us were full of meh individuals that we would have no interest in.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Quite right, RLC. In any case, let’s trust Micky’s judgement on the new players until can form our own judgement. And how many managers in this league do you reckon are better than Micky?

I am expecting at least the playoffs but hope we might still be able to challenge for automatic promotion.

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
its not only who we sign but also what team MM picks we shouldn't be playing people out of position the squad we now have, real guessing game for Saturdays game

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
None of the teams we have played this season has a better squad on paper than ours. The two sides that have just beaten us were full of meh individuals that we would have no interest in.
Doesn't that make those results worse then, if we're unable to deliver against meh teams?

Player
Manager
John King
Doesn't that make those results worse then, if we're unable to deliver against meh teams?
It means you can't judge the quality of the squad after five games, when there have been fifteen to twenty new signings to integrate into that squad.

Defeats to meh teams in individual matches are par for the course at any level. We had a number of such defeats in the two promotion seasons.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Could be another signing, Nicola tweeted they think it's all over then deleted the tweet

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Could be another signing, Nicola tweeted they think it's all over then deleted the tweet
I won't hold my breath and I certainly won't get excited. It is almost certainly an out of contract player who has been vying for the best possible deal in terms of money and duration. We may have offered terms to Khan or whoever and are waiting for the response. If it's no, I assume the money gets carried over to January's pot.

Player
Manager
John King
There are still some decent out of contract players available, so I am at least a little bit excited.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
No interest in any more new arrivals unless it is someone who is going to offer something different (i.e. some actual pace). Thats where we are going to come unstuck this season. Micky likes his old head type players (think McCulloch, Perkins, Dann) but sadly unless there is a CBT / Hepburn-Murphy in the team there is never the option to break quickly, so the game becomes more laboured and it is harder to then break teams down.