• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
That would be great news. As a current Reading player, he should have done the full pre-season training with them, so should be match fit.

He has a patchy goal-scoring record, but Micky obviously knows and rates him, so should be able to get the best out of him. I could imagine him upfront with Glatzel as the new Cookie and Nors. ;)
He has been training with the under 23s rather than 1st team squad

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I just hope if we do sign McNulty then it will be as a number 9 and not played out wide with Mani played centrally. As RLC says McNulty has a decent record when played through the middle. Over 20 goals in league two in a season for Coventry got him his move to reading which didn’t work out but at this level he should be capable of scoring if played in the right position.
I don’t think he’s a target man type so say him and glatzel as a two may not work as so could see them alternating with big Mani possibly

ADD

Player
Norwood
I just doubt legally and contractually they would be able to recall him, even if the player was unhappy.
I thought there was always a recall option in all loan deals in January window RLC although maybe I am mistaken? My original point was more in the nature of I would suspect both MP and MM will want to ensure closer relationships with Liverpool and will be keen that we are seen as the go to Club for such future deals.
So whilst I am sure there will be no automatic recall right there might be "soft" suggestions that he is better through the middle etc. etc. That said it might simply be that it will take Glatzel a few games to get used to playing out wide and he may come good out there...

ADD

Player
Norwood
Apparently McNulty to be announced tomorrow
Just looking at comments from the ITK poster on the other site suggests will also be Duffy before tomorrow's game.... talking of which Sunderland game is on Ifollow btw - has been announced this morning...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I remain puzzled as to why we are signing 2 aged midfield squad players lacking pace in Foley and Duffy, when central midfield is already well-stocked to the extent that it was suggested Merrie may not be getting a start. I don't think Duffy has Khan's ability to fill in at right-back either.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Duffy is a wide player really. We have Spearing, Merrie, Watson and Foley as central midfielders, which I would say is the right number. Three would not be enough.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought there was always a recall option in all loan deals in January window RLC although maybe I am mistaken? My original point was more in the nature of I would suspect both MP and MM will want to ensure closer relationships with Liverpool and will be keen that we are seen as the go to Club for such future deals.
So whilst I am sure there will be no automatic recall right there might be "soft" suggestions that he is better through the middle etc. etc. That said it might simply be that it will take Glatzel a few games to get used to playing out wide and he may come good out there...
I don't think there is an automatic recall option, but may be mistaken.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I remain puzzled as to why we are signing 2 aged midfield squad players lacking pace in Foley and Duffy, when central midfield is already well-stocked to the extent that it was suggested Merrie may not be getting a start. I don't think Duffy has Khan's ability to fill in at right-back either.
Duffy could play the number 10 role if required

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I see Duffy as a number 10 or as a wide man although neither him or Feeney have real pace which we still need some more of

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Could Glatzel play a number 10 role? Or Watson? The fact that Duffy has allowed himself to get out of shape raises some concerns. On the face of it, feels a bit like another Potter type signing.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes I see Duffy as a number 10 or as a wide man although neither him or Feeney have real pace which we still need some more of
Although not lightening I thought Feeney had a bit of pace, I think we will sign another wideman yet

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Could Glatzel play a number 10 role? Or Watson? The fact that Duffy has allowed himself to get out of shape raises some concerns. On the face of it, feels a bit like another Potter type signing.
Glatzel to me seems a goal poacher so not a number 10. Watson could play there but I see him more as an all action Box to box centre mid but with an eye for goal. Duffy isn’t in the greatest shape but from memory even in his sheff Utd days he wasn’t a quick winger, more of a jinker type going one way then the other. Suspect carrying a bit of timber is partly just his build and his age (36 soon I think). Whereas foley who is 35 I think is a different build and looks fairly fit

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although not lightening I thought Feeney had a bit of pace, I think we will sign another wideman yet
Yes Feeney has a bit to be fair but I’d still like a bit more if we can get it

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Feeney's quick enough, albeit he won't leave anybody for dead, but as he is strong he can give himself a bit of room. And once he's got a yard he can get the delivery in. Poor comparison in a way, but Beckham wasn't a greyhound, but still had quality deliveries.....albeit sometimes from deep.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thanks Higgy. That article is a reminder that McNulty played for Scotland relatively recently. If the deal goes through, it will be the first time in a while that we have recruited a player who has played international football at a decent standard and has a realistic chance of future call-ups.
You're welcome RLC. From what I gathered he is a pure poacher at his best in and around the box who can come deeper if required but not really technical enough to be a link man. So if we get plenty of good deliveries into the box and he scores a bundle that call up chance might be realised.
In contrast understand Glatzel sees himself as a box player who is capable of dropping deeper and creating with some clever stuff.
Interesting to see how MM sees it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You're welcome RLC. From what I gathered he is a pure poacher at his best in and around the box who can come deeper if required but not really technical enough to be a link man. So if we get plenty of good deliveries into the box and he scores a bundle that call up chance might be realised.
In contrast understand Glatzel sees himself as a box player who is capable of dropping deeper and creating with some clever stuff.
Interesting to see how MM sees it.
Just need to get the deal over the line

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Another day goes by and no further signings. Jolley and Burton start at Caernarfon tonight and there's a trialist involved