• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

ADD

Player
Norwood
Aside from the the fact that we so obviously had the personnel to make it up to L1 the other disapppointment for me is how once again the youngsters did not come through - either down to Hill or lack of ability. Walker Rice I had thought would come into the reckoning this season but never really got a look in and after one terrible Papa John's game admittedly completely out of position (how familiar is that) he disappeared from trace. From what little I saw of Burton he looked good but who knows given how little we saw of him and seems to be behind Jolley but from what I saw of him I doubt Jolley is good enough.
For me pretty much agree with RLC's suggestions - Clarke worth a 1 year deal given the amazing stat he played every League game at 39. Ditto Murphy another year as will be needed first part of the season anyhow. Khan I think is easily good enough for L2 so yes would offer and probably Rides (depending on salary levels) and that's about it sadly. Maybe Woolery at a push.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Clarke has to stay in my opinion. He wasn’t perfect but showed the passion and desire every week. He’s a leader and despite his age played every minute of a team that overall, had a decent defensive record (scoring goals was the issue). If we release him I’ll be fuming

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
As it seems the views vindicate my ‘silk purse’ comment (given the few selected to stay on), I simply think that we need to await a manager who has ‘a plan’ and who can determine who can fit in, whether that be all new blood apart from those contracted or a mixture of new and existing ‘ in and out of contract’ players .

mind you, I half expect that a few of the players who leave will be player of the season at their new clubs...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the issue with the current squad is one of attitude not ability in most cases. They were not 'sow's ears' in terms of aptitude.

The talent is there and they are good players individually, but they have not performed effectively as a team (which is also an indictment of the managers we have had this season).

Player
aldo
we need to shift the bad eggs out, we need a manager who wants pace flair and attack-minded. we need at least two stickers and a couple of attack-minded centre mids who will get you goals also wide players with pace who can cross a ball past the first man no more 35 year plus players we have enough and they have done a fab job but we need younger blood who are hungry and want to win, and not bloody sulk and not be arsed playing

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
I think we had a team that was more than good enough to win the league, the reason we didn`t was because most of them did not have the desire.. Next season I would rather see a team that will fight for the jersey than a team of talented individuals, who care nothing for the team and only played when they felt like it. To me the season that has just gone was a waisted opportunity, we should now be looking forward to being in league one, not still stuck in league two. We had three managers that for one reason or another could not get the team to deliver on a persistent basis to get promoted. You cannot keep blaming the manager, sometimes you have to look at the team and that team had all the skill but not the desire to win promotion. Get rid of those that only want to use the club as a meal ticket and keep those that will fight and be proud of wearing the Rovers shirt .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whatever the reasons for our failure to be promoted this season, there is simply no excuse for not giving 100%. That game yesterday was unacceptable in terms of effort and desire as Dawes quite rightly pointed out yesterday. For that reason alone, we need a shake up and we need rid of players that do not want to fight for this club. We need unity and that includes the players, the manager and the supporters all pulling together. I have never seen so much divide this season, absolutely awful when you look back at it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m still a bit confused. How did Dawes get them playing before Hill was appointed? How did they get to Wembley? Why haven’t they played like they did at Wembley again? It seems they can play well if they want to. I’m surprised even Dawes couldn’t fire everyone up for the playoffs with Wembley and promotion within their grasp - and to put them in the marketplace.

Did anyone else notice a little bust up between Clarke and CBT during the second half? Peter went up to Corey and pushed him back with a fair bit of anger on his face. Not a pleasant sight .

Player
Manager
John King
I think there are a number of factors behind our failure, some of which are inter-related: players lacking self-motivation, poor man management, sterile tactics that further confused and frustrated players who were struggling for form, failure to rotate players that were fatigued or low on confidence.

The season was ultimately a bit of a mess and hopefully there is a better season under new leadership.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Did anyone else notice a little bust up between Clarke and CBT during the second half? Peter went up to Corey and pushed him back with a fair bit of anger on his face. Not a pleasant sight .
I didn’t notice it but I’m not surprised. CBT is a strange one. With the ball he can be amazing,but often his body language isn’t great and he looks disinterested if he doesn’t have the ball. He’ll be on his way for sure but you can see why old fashioned Keith froze him out at times

Player
ian goodison
I agree with with ALUN in saying we had a good enough squad to go up and at one point we were playing good enough to make that happen, trouble is we can,t sign a squad of players on say 2yr contracts so are stuck with a merry-go round of replacing a good percentage of players only to bring in same number on 1yr contracts, so unless the new manager can get it right (no mean feat) we could be back in the same place next season.

Player
aldo
I can only agree with the lads who want out, let us just get rid and move on we don't need them and they are out of contract most of the team are out of contract it should be a good time for a new manager who can get his own team and stamp his own way on the club that's what we need someone like Challinor, but defo not like cooper or some of the managers who just go from club to blub every 12 months we need Paolios to get this right as they always seem to be wrong, he might have to bring in outside help to find a manager someone who knows what they are doing not that I am saying Mark does not know what he is doing just to help them get some consistency and bring the club and fans and manager together again its been far too Bitchy and soul-destroying at times this season and it is not what the club is abt its a family club and a community club, so let us all get shut of the players who don't give a dam about the club or fans, unite with the new manager and players and storm the LG next year

Player
aldo
like most clubs, at this level, we are all in the same boat.at least we don't have to keep the sulking bitches we have now, as far as I am concerned the ones not pulling their weight can go and f%&k off if they don,t care why should we when they go, I don't do babies at work so why would we go and pay to see them, not said much abt both games as I was being run off my feet some of the players need to get real jobs and come into the real world then see how Lucky they are, it annoys me as I am sure you can Tell LOL, all I will say is good on Daws for tearing into them you could tell he was pissed off I do think he will make a good manager, time will tell if he gets it but I think he won't and might not be at the club next season

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Hil blames players and he is jumped on, Dawes does and not one comment. And by the way ‘sow ears’ also refers to players attitude not solely skill’. Perhaps I should have spelled that out. Mea culpa. Three managers couldn’t make a decent player out of those who can’t be bothered.

Player
Manager
John King
Hil blames players and he is jumped on, Dawes does and not one comment. And by the way ‘sow ears’ also refers to players attitude not solely skill’. Perhaps I should have spelled that out. Mea culpa. Three managers couldn’t make a decent player out of those who can’t be bothered.
The difference being that the season had ended when Dawes made those comments and most of the players were effectively on their way out. Hill made the comments during the season when we still had the biggest matches of the season - the play offs - ahead of us. Plus, Dawes has never made negative comments regarding supporters and owner as Hill did habitually.

The manager has to engender team spirit and create a winning mentality, and Hill does not escape blame for what happened this season. He, Jackson and the players are all culpable.

Put Mellon, Cowley or any other decent manager in charge of these players for a full season and there would be a different outcome.

Player
Manager
John King
It is reported that James Vaughan has retired.

Sad news and leaves a huge hole in the squad, but understandable given his injury issues.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I’ve heard the same. Thought it was spam to begin with but sounds like it could be true. A massive loss given his contribution this season but we move on