• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is impossible to discuss next season's squad in full detail when we don't even know who our manager will be, but who should we release ? Or perhaps more pertinently, who do we want to keep ?

Of the current squad, I would only definitely want to keep the following:

Clarke
Spearing (under contract)
Vaughan (under contract)
Davies (under contract)
MacDonald (under contract)
Ridehalgh
Kahn
Murphy (as back up, depending on the extent of Davies' injury and his recovery time)

I would not be too fussed if any of the others departed, as they have all gone missing for long periods of the season.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
None of the above, need a complete clear out, too many oaps in spine.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think some like Woolery will leave as he may get league 1 offers. Feeney will probably go as can’t see him wanting to stay after the last few months

frenchrover

Player
aldo
None of the above, need a complete clear out, too many oaps in spine.
I think we can discount this, as it's just not going to happen and if some of the "younger" players had shown as much commitment and effort as the maligned "oaps" we might actually have been promoted automatically. I would agree with RLCs selection but would try to add Woolery, if possible, and of course we've still have to see what Jolley can add who is also under contract until the end of next season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
To add to the 5 under contract I would say Woolery, Clarke and Ridehalgh I would like see stay the rest can leave as far as I'm concerned

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, agree about Woolery. I also like Morris but there is no denying he has had a poor season, although not helped by never getting a consistent run of games.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
What's worrying is the lack of any youngsters knocking on the door. Not sure Jolley or Burton are ready so would be looking to get them out on loan to get some experience. What has happened to Danny Walker Rice ? Is he injured ? He seems to have completely disappeared. Not inclined to keep many of those out of contract but would offer Clarke and Rides another year. We need to be looking for younger, hungrier lads possibly from non-league

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What's worrying is the lack of any youngsters knocking on the door. Not sure Jolley or Burton are ready so would be looking to get them out on loan to get some experience. What has happened to Danny Walker Rice ? Is he injured ? He seems to have completely disappeared. Not inclined to keep many of those out of contract but would offer Clarke and Rides another year. We need to be looking for younger, hungrier lads possibly from non-league
Walker-rice played in 1 of the pizza cup games but frankly was awful, I don't think he has played since and strangely I don't think he went out on loan

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would keep Clarke for one more season, McDonald, Davies, Spearing, Vaughan, Murphy are definates.
Not even sure about Khan and Rides.

Get rid of Feeney, CBT, Lewis, Woolery, Morris, Monthe. We need players that want to play for the shirt, not just pick up a wage at the end of the month.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was a suggestion that Walker-Rice had his contract terminated, don’t know if true. The game he played in the Pizza Cup struggled as very one-footed.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I would only keep Clarke, Khan, McDonald, Spearing, Vaughan, Ray, Morris and perhaps Woolery. I will happily drive CBT and Manny to the train station!

Definitely need to get some new blood into this old squad.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Concur totally with selections of RLC.
I Would add:
Nelson (squad and good attitude)
Woolery (potential)
Feeney (defo do a job down the right)

Player
Manager
John King
I personally would not want Feeney. He is coming to the end of his career and has been one of the serious under performers in the second half of the season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I personally would not want Feeney. He is coming to the end of his career and has been one of the serious under performers in the second half of the season.
Agreed he has been a big part of the slump and at 34 we should not be looking to keep him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Feeney is an odd one. Earlier in the season he was brilliant but over the last few months he’s been bloody awful. Age isn’t on his side of course but he was still our top assist make with around 8 plus was the most in the EFL the year before.

So I’d give him a year if he would stay as under a new manager he could be great again. But my gut tells me he’ll leave, somewhere like Salford possibly

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wonder who is going to be responsible for this. If for example, Challinor is the manager of choice and Pools progress in the play-offs, so that he doesn't sign on until mid-June, by that time will players be out of contract or do they run to the end of June? For example, Clarke might still be attractive to localish teams wanting to shore up their defence, so if there isn't an offer from Rovers on the table as we're sorting out a new manager, he may move on.

Currently, think we've 5 under contract for next season; Davies, Macdonald, Spearing, Vaughan and Jolley. I don't see any of those leaving, though Scottie unlikely to return to first team action until the end of the year and too early to assess how much his impact his injury will have.

Of those currently under contract my thoughts below;

Murphy. Keep if he wants to continue playing, though we may need to get a loan in as back-up until Davies' situation determined.

Clarke Keep

Ray Release

Monthe Release

Nelson. Unsure. I agree with Higgy, but it's been an unhappy time for Sid between injury and falling out of favour, so he may think it's time to move on.

Ridehalgh Keep as squad player on 1 year deal

Ellis Release

Lewis. Unsure. Think he offers us something different but doesn't look above L2 level.

Khan Probably worth a deal because of his versatility, but may move on.

Morris The ITK poster on the other site felt that he was unhappy and it was unlikely he'd stay. More than most, Kieron seems to need a manager who'll put his arm around him rather than give him a rollicking. Expect him to go.

Lloyd. Unsure. A disappointment, whether down to fitness or other factors he just hasn't made the impact expected.

CBT Release

Woolery. Keep. Has gone off the boil, but his pace and work with Vaughan during mid-season still makes him a good option.

Of the youngsters, I'd give Burton another year, but the fact he was behind Jolley in the recent selections suggests we won't. Don't think Hayde or the other Nugent have done enough.

Of the loanees, agree with RLC's view on another thread that Feeney has been badly managed and as a consequence burned out. With careful management he could do a job for us, but won't lose sleep should he move on. Nobody else worth keeping on.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Palios might offer Clarke another year in order to persuade him to stay.

I think the contracts all run out at the end of June.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Even if Challinor arrived tomorrow, how would he decide who to offer new deals? I am sure Dawes and perhaps Palios would have the most influence. If we wait until Challinor arrives (assuming he will), then some horses will have already bolted. No, but I do think any new signings will be the responsibility of the new manager.

Player
Manager
John King
Challinor would surely have targets of his own in mind, so his opinion of the current out of contract players would not necessarily be relevant.

All of the indications are that Palios and Beck will still be actively involved in the recruitment process. MP confirmed this in the recent Facebook Q and A.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Contracts expire 30th June and if a player hasn't signed for another club by the end of July we pay half there wages for that month.

We don't exactly have a good track record of getting deals done early on and I don't expect it to be any different this off season.