• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with the sentiment in RLCs post about how much better the squad is now than 2019 for coping with a possible promotion. I’d actually go a bit further and say only Morris was definitely L1 standard at that time. Kane Wilson was raw defensively when we got him and had little playing experience though an obvious talent.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Re Doohan I’m not sure what his contract situation at Celtic. Any chance of signing him permanently may depend on what division we are in next season. His clean sheet numbers this season will be noticed by other clubs so he’ll have plenty of interest in the summer should he choose to leave Celtic. Hopefully OConnor joining us could influence Ross to stay.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Re Doohan I’m not sure what his contract situation at Celtic. Any chance of signing him permanently may depend on what division we are in next season. His clean sheet numbers this season will be noticed by other clubs so he’ll have plenty of interest in the summer should he choose to leave Celtic. Hopefully OConnor joining us could influence Ross to stay.
Back in the summer, Doohan stated that he wasn't ready to give up on his Celtic dream. Despite having a contract that runs until the summer of 2022, the Scottish talent said he spoke to Ange Postecoglou and they agreed his next step was regular game-time elsewhere [Scottish Sun].8 Nov 2021

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Liam Feeney leaves the club. Had some great games early in his SWA career but was continually frustrating with his delivery and was lucky to get another year arguably.
Hopefully he gets a year somewhere else perhaps lower down the pyramid

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Liam Feeney leaves the club. Had some great games early in his SWA career but was continually frustrating with his delivery and was lucky to get another year arguably.
Hopefully he gets a year somewhere else perhaps lower down the pyramid
His first 6 months were pretty decent the rest of the time poor.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I feel a bit for Feeney as he always works hard and never shirks responsibility, unlike a few others. However, it is the right decision for the reasons given above.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we are to move forward and are continually looking to improve, Feeney had to go really. I liked his first season here, he put in some excellent crosses but as Bigmart says above, it went downhill from there. Squad shaping up really nicely now.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It's the nature of the beast really. As we progress and improve the squad we say goodbye to players, some of whom are fan favourites. Harris one of the more notable ones as we moved from VNL to L1. It is a far better proposition than the alternative where the club is descending and players are jumping ship to maintain their playing level. We had enough of that in 2014 and 2015 to last a lifetime!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Feeney joints Keith hill at scunny.
I was just about to post that as a suggestion! His experience and attitude should help a struggling side. Although I'm sure he'd prefer to stay, he will have had his payoff from Rovers to add to his wage at Scunny. He'll be a few quid up, so everybody should be happy.

Liam was almost certain not to feature much now that we have McPake, Hawkes and McManaman on the books.

Last edited:
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
That was Palios spin the way it came out.
it was definitely spin.

Now, that we are nearing the end of the window, it is clear to me that we have gone back to improving the squad with a lot of comings and goings in the January window. It has worked before with the two back to back promotions, although both were Wembley victories! Won't mention that season in League one.
The difference from last season and the summer, is that MM has had a much bigger saying recruitment!

Hopefully, we won't need PP south at the end of the season!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
it was definitely spin.

Now, that we are nearing the end of the window, it is clear to me that we have gone back to improving the squad with a lot of comings and goings in the January window. It has worked before with the two back to back promotions, although both were Wembley victories! Won't mention that season in League one.
The difference from last season and the summer, is that MM has had a much bigger saying recruitment!

I am very much hoping we get promoted before the last game of the season

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I was going to ask about where the funding had come for these excellent signings, is it confirmed as more Indonesian investment?

So long as we keep Merrie (there are some suggestions he's off), we don't desperately need reinforcements in central midfield. I'd rather see central defensive cover added.
If he stays I think Merrie could be good cover for CM.
Good length contracts, but did Hawkes and O'Connor involve a fee also?

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
it was definitely spin.

The January recruitment was very good in the League One season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was surprised that we offered Feeney a new deal in the summer, he actually started this season well v Walsall where it was a toss up between him and Merrie for MoM, but that promising start has not continued. All of our manager's including Micky seem to have had something of a blind-spot regarding his ability at set-pieces, as it was only rarely that he delivered in that aspect of his game. However, Liam's played some intelligent cameos for us this season and some of the flak directed his way seems harsh. I agree that given his prospects of seeing much first team action are limited in the current squad it's best for both sides that he moved on. Hopefully he will have a decent time at Scunthorpe, though their prospects of FL survival seem bleak.