• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Going to be interesting the remainder of the transfer window as bound to be outgoings and incomings.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd really like to see us tie Doohan down for longer but I may be asking too much!

Player
aldo
wow just got in did see it this Afternoon but have been Battered today,well made up now for Ross,can,t belive some on the cowshed forum saying they don,t rate him some fans are a little thick

Player
aldo
now some rumors that we are extending a contract, be interesting what a great day and all I will say is if this is the Beck and Vaughan effect on our transfer policy well good on mark and nicky

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Hats off to the club to get 3 players in for fees and on 2 & half year deals is fantastic.
Mark & Nicola get some stick some deserved other not but we'll done to them for this
Could not do it without the investment from overseas!
I am surprised at the length of contracts!
Just another back up centre mid in case of injuries!
Let's hope we can continue with the form, even a draw v the vegans would not be that bad!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Let's hope we can continue with the form, even a draw v the vegans would not be that bad!
I was going to ask about where the funding had come for these excellent signings, is it confirmed as more Indonesian investment?

So long as we keep Merrie (there are some suggestions he's off), we don't desperately need reinforcements in central midfield. I'd rather see central defensive cover added.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We will bring in another centre half, possibly a centre midfielder as well

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was going to ask about where the funding had come for these excellent signings, is it confirmed as more Indonesian investment?
I am still not convinced there has been any substantial new investment, if you consider the players that have left and those that are likely to leave.

Player
aldo
just Thinking back to the start of the season we had one of the oldest squads in the LG, it is now come right down, with young hungry talented players who want to play for the fans, also with some pace, well made up with this, would be Amazing if we managed to get Ross even on loan again next season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am still not convinced there has been any substantial new investment, if you consider the players that have left and those that are likely to leave.
Duffy gone, one of our higher wage earners if you believe the leaked tables and Watson for a fee of some sort. Hemmings did attract a fee you'd guess that wouldn't be too great given his age and contract position. while guess we've also paid something for O'Connor and Hawkes. Of the players who might leave [being optimistic and assuming no first team regulars go] only Merrie looks likely to bring a fee in. Would be interested in what draws you to that conclusion. I've no inside knowledge but it feels like we've got more funds now than in the summer.

Player
Manager
John King
Duffy gone, one of our higher wage earners if you believe the leaked tables and Watson for a fee of some sort. Hemmings did attract a fee you'd guess that wouldn't be too great given his age and contract position. while guess we've also paid something for O'Connor and Hawkes. Of the players who might leave [being optimistic and assuming no first team regulars go] only Merrie looks likely to bring a fee in. Would be interested in what draws you to that conclusion. I've no inside knowledge but it feels like we've got more funds now than in the summer.
Watson's wage and transfer fee effectively covers the Hemmings signing.

Walker's departure covers McPake.

The saving on Duffy's wage probably covers any additional wages we are playing to Hawkes and O'Connor now that their deals are permanent.

Perhaps the fees paid for O'Connor and Hawkes required additional funds, but that could potentially be covered by the existing budget.

I think we have been more intelligent in our use of resources, shipping out deadwood and replacing it with players with potential, rather than striking gold with substantial new funds. Mellon has said several times in interviews that we had to move players out to bring others in.

Player
aldo
Also with the extra money coming in from the 3G pitch that is always in use and very full up, and the beechwood gym all those small things plus the 400k and player departures will all be getting used, also with the team doing so well we should see an increase in home crowds,

Player
aldo
at the end of the day, we will never guess what is going on, one thing is all the people saying the club was broke and we had cash flow this and cash flow that was way off the mark, Credit has to go to the Accountant who runs the club he has done an Amazing job, ok with some cock ups on the way but manly credit without him and his good lady we would not have a club or one lingering with the Chesters and Southports of this world

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd really like to see us tie Doohan down for longer but I may be asking too much!
I think his current four-year deal ends in the summer, so he may be available, unless he is snapped up by a wealthier club. I think he may be surplus to requirements at Celtic. They have another young keeper, Conor Hazard, who has already played for the first team and for Northern Ireland. Conor is out on loan till June to a Finnish top level club.

Player
Manager
John King
I think what is crucial with these deals is that we now have a nucleus of players coming into their prime who are capable of playing in League One. IF we were to be promoted, that puts us in a far stronger position than we were in the summer of 2019. In August 2019 I think we only had two players - Kane Wilson and Kieron Morris - who were indisputably of League One standard, and that became apparent when Rochdale took us apart on the opening day of the season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think what is crucial with these deals is that we now have a nucleus of players coming into their prime who are capable of playing in League One. IF we were to be promoted, that puts us in a far stronger position than we were in the summer of 2019. In August 2019 I think we only had two players - Kane Wilson and Kieron Morris - who were indisputably of League One standard, and that became apparent when Rochdale took us apart on the opening day of the season.
Absolutely, RLC. In recent years, one-year deals have been the norm. They have lower financial risk and we don’t get stuck with a poor player for too long, but it means a virtual team rebuild every season. If we are involved in the playoffs, as has happened in four of the last five seasons, it delays recruitment as you don’t know which league you’ll be in.
This batch of recruitment is a calculated gamble, which will pay off if we get promoted but could be a drain if we don’t.
Clearly, the owners, manager and new signings believe we are likely to go up. It’s great for us fans to see this happening.