• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2021-22

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rolling squad list (updated):

Scott Davies
Joe Murphy
Tom Davies
Nathaniel Knight-Percival
Peter Clarke
Callum MacDonald
Jay Spearing
Chris Merrie
Kieron Morris
Charlie Jolley

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Yes, while I would be happy if we signed Andrade, it is not logical to assume that every underperforming player will exceed expectations to the extent that Mullin did. His was a highly unusual case.
it is not logical to assume they won't perform either so unsure of your point. I certainly did not assume anything. I just raised the obvious consideration that players can perform at some clubs and not others, and for any number of reasons, and to any level of competence. So it is illogical also to assume that someone performing badly at one club will be as bad at another. Life isn't so simple.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are still a bit light up front but the defence and midfield is looking handy. The current squad is mainly over 30s and youngsters. I’d like to see a few more players in their mid twenties. Otherwise, I’m happy so far.

Player
Manager
John King
it is not logical to assume they won't perform either so unsure of your point. I certainly did not assume anything. I just raised the obvious consideration that players can perform at some clubs and not others, and for any number of reasons, and to any level of competence. So it is illogical also to assume that someone performing badly at one club will be as bad at another. Life isn't so simple.
If a player has continually underperformed at a number of clubs, it is more logical to assume that he is not very good, rather than a brilliant performer who has been poorly managed or just unlucky. That is why the case of Mullin is untypical, and why it is illogical to apply his example to many other players.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Time will tell. If life were logical
If a player has continually underperformed at a number of clubs, it is more logical to assume that he is not very good, rather than a brilliant performer who has been poorly managed or just unlucky. That is why the case of Mullin is untypical, and why it is illogical to apply his example to many other players.
Mullin scored 25 in 3 years for Morecambe - 1 every 5 games; 6 in a year for Swindon - 1 every 7 games; 8 in around 18 months for Tranmere, 1 every 4.5 games Seems to me he was very unfortunate to either have been so poorly managed or simply unlucky. Bruno did well at Borehamwood, roughly 1 every 2,5 games or so, Lincoln less so, 1 every 6 but in a very good team where goals were spread around and I can't find any stats on Bruno's assists.. Salford - well what can you say about a club that goes through so many managers in a year? So to be logical, I guess a definition of 'underperformed' is necessary. For a striker, is 1 in 5 poor? is 1 every 7? 1 every 4.5? 1 every 2.5? 1 every 6?

Player
Manager
John King
Andrade is a winger, not a centre forward. I would be happy if we signed him, because his performances were very good at Boreham Wood and Lincoln.

I still don't know what Andrade has got to do with Paul Mullin.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Andrade was a key figure when the Cowley’s got Lincoln promoted from league two. He struggled a bit in league one but agree he’s not a striker.

As for Mullin, plenty of players have spells at one club and do well, but struggle wherever else they go. Some just find a place they like with a manager and team/tactics that suit them.

Although nobody saw Mullin's goal return coming this season, he was always going to be handy in L2. He did alright at Morecambe in a consistently poor team, was admired, if not a regular, at Swindon, and with us was unlucky to find himself (1) behind an undroppable Norwood then (2) in a team struggling to adapt to L1.

Bear in mind he was only 23 or 24 when we signed him. I think we improved him as a player and now, coming to his peak, he had the guts to take a slight step down to get a regular start. Then overtook us!!

I think he could do a job for many clubs. Not 30 goals a year but he'd still get his fair share.

Reactions: Boz
When he went on loan we were in L1 and that level looked a step too far him at the time.

When we got demoted and let him go we looked quite blessed in the striker department at the time, which I think is why his release barely caused a murmur, as opposed to anyone thinking he wasn't good enough to do a job in L2.

Player
Manager
John King
I think there is a difference between doing a job in League Two and scoring 32 goals. Mullin had been decidedly average at his previous clubs at this level, never even reaching double figures, and I don't think anybody predicted his performance last season.

It was the right decision for both club and player to let Mullin leave when he did. I think the change of environment, and playing style, at Cambridge was crucial to his performance last season. I doubt he would have repeated that performance if he had stayed here.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think there is a difference between doing a job in League Two and scoring 32 goals. Mullin had been decidedly average at his previous clubs at this level, never even reaching double figures, and I don't think anybody predicted his performance last season.

It was the right decision for both club and player to let Mullin leave when he did. I think the change of environment, and playing style, at Cambridge was crucial to his performance last season. I doubt he would have repeated that performance if he had stayed here.

will be interesting where Mullin ends up. Offered a new deal at Cambridge but don’t think he has signed it and will have offers I’m sure. Like Nors he could be offered an almost life changing deal somewhere as won’t have been on much at Cambridge.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
More interesting will be how Mullin does at another club with a different manager and team. Will he adapt? Will the team adapt? Can he succeed at a higher level? He may end up as a one season wonder.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Mullin did so well at Cambridge because he played in a front two or three, but more importantly, he was given chances to score, the assists his teammates created.
You do have to have a balance between attack and defence but you need quality and work rate, to create chances. I wonder if the current squad has the legs and the stamina to challenge again for promotion?
We have experience and youth, but not a lot of players who are near their peak. It's very important to have that balance. We need to get some twenty odds in.