• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mark Ellis is going to Notts County on loan apparently.

I would agree that the January recruitment does not look great at present. Time will tell how much that hinders us, if at all.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mark Ellis is going to Notts County on loan apparently.

I would agree that the January recruitment does not look great at present. Time will tell how much that hinders us, if at all.
Strange situation with Ellis. Before the first lockdown and in league 1 him and Clarke were immense. He’s had his injuries but has been fit for a while I understand. He’s effectively 5th choice CB though and even with rays hip injury we still have Manny plus Nelson (although Sid is injured at the moment). Can’t blame mark for wanting first team football at his age

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't see any of the Ellis-Clarke pre-lockdown games in L1, but we didn't keep a clean sheet in any of them. That bald fact suggests it wasn't that good a defensive pairing, but those who saw the live games may have more to add.

While I don't understand why Mark is so out of favour with KH, given we've got Ray and Nelson out injured at present and I'm not sure that Ridehalgh has played much in a back two, another injury/suspension there would make things very stretched for us. I hope there's a recall clause.

Player
Manager
John King
I saw the games Clarke and Ellis played together last season and they were excellent as a partnership. They were a massive improvement on Monthe / Nelson / Ray at that level, both defensively and in terms of attacking threat from set plays.

However, while Ellis is a solid defender, he is poor in possession of the ball, probably on a par with Monthe in that regard. I am sure that is why Hill does not want to keep him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Confirmed Ellis joins Luke Pillings Notts County on loan until the end of the season. Probably the last we’ll see of him at PP.

drwhoman

Yes I agree we can’t expect to have anyone as good as Vaughan to be happy being a bench warmer. I just think having Nugent and Jolley I.e. one extreme to the other, a veteran and a youngster, it may have been better having someone with similar attributes to Vaughan in their mid/late 20s who could push him (not that he needed it), and provide suitable back up.

As RLC says Payne would have been ok as a like for like replacement albeit not at the level of Vaughan. As Boz says Vaughan had a track record of injuries so his absence isn’t really a massive shock. It is equally frustrating when the players Hill did bring in don’t seem to be up to it. That said, as Ian points out it’s still fairly early days and once Nugent had a run of games he may come good. However games are running down...
[/QUOTEI hear what you say RLC but I think you would agree that the January window is not an easy one in which to recruit players. You would be very lucky to find a a goal scoring forward of the age and quality you describe. There were clearly discipline issues with Ferrier and, like any good Manager, Keith Hill did not put up with them. We are where we are and let us hope that we can maintain the momentum in some way or other.

Player
Manager
John King
I have consistently said that Ferrier was not good enough and should be allowed to leave, so I think you are confusing my post with Sparky's.

drwhoman

I have consistently said that Ferrier was not good enough and should be allowed to leave, so I think you are confusing my post with Sparky's.
If we are talking about my previous post RLC I was merely observing on why Hill let Ferrier go - discipline possibly around his lack of playing time. I am sorry if my post was unclear. I do not disagree with you regarding him being allowed to leave - in fact he was probably shoved!

Player
Manager
John King
If we are talking about my previous post RLC I was merely observing on why Hill let Ferrier go - discipline possibly around his lack of playing time. I am sorry if my post was unclear. I do not disagree with you regarding him being allowed to leave - in fact he was probably shoved!
You replied to Sparky's post but referenced me, probably because our avatars are similar.

Anyway, no worries.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
at the end of the day neither Payne nor morgan where good enough their goals return was very poor, if morgan was good he was very good but more often poor or injured, and Payne was just injured all the time or just not fit enough

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Confirmed Ellis joins Luke Pillings Notts County on loan until the end of the season. Probably the last we’ll see of him at PP.
Thank you and good luck to Mark. He has served the club well and it was his bad luck not to fit into the new manager's plans. These things happen and can transform a player's career. On the other side of the coin, look at how Otis Khan has benefited. Given that Mark is out of contract in June and is unlikely to be offered an extension, it is as well he joins an ambitious club where he can put himself in the shop window for next season. He would be invaluable to County with his experience of the NL and playing in the play-offs, as he did for FGR against us.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Only rumours but Khan linked with Sunderland and Portsmouth after his eye catching displays at right back. Out of contract in the summer so may well be on his way, especially if we don’t go up.

Player
aldo
this is why I have been saying we need to tie the players down, loads of them are out of contract in the summer it's stupid, and yes I know the club are doing it with the state of things at the moment

Player
aldo
so its Confirmed Scotty has ruptured his Achilles it is normally around a year to recover from it, we could do without it so we might have to get a keeper in or get a youngster on the Bench his op is going to be next week

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Only rumours but Khan linked with Sunderland and Portsmouth after his eye catching displays at right back. Out of contract in the summer so may well be on his way, especially if we don’t go up.
That would be an amazing turnaround for someone released by Mansfield last summer and only deemed worthy of a one-year contract. Keith has transformed his career by spotting his potential at right-back.

If he goes, it will be without a fee. That's the consequence of the club's transfer policy of offering most players just one-year deals and only very few two-years. However, given all the uncertainty at the moment, I think it is the best policy on balance.

Round about now in the season, the club has traditionally offered its better players extended deals. I wonder if anything is currently on the table. I'd like to see Otis, Danny Lloyd and Kaiyne Woolery offered two more years and Liam Feeney made permanent, but until we know which division we will be in, that may be difficult.

Player
Manager
John King
I take most of these rumours with a pinch of salt to be honest. It is the time of year when agents try and hype their clients, and as an example I remember Danny Holmes was on his way to Celtic a few years ago !

Khan will be in demand but so will most of our players. As it stands, we have no idea what our income will be beyond May, and I don't think we are in a position to start dishing out long contracts.

We don't know when crowds will be allowed back in the ground, what the limits on capacity will be and for how long, or whether any additional support will be forthcoming from the EFL / EPL next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After an excellent return against Sunderland, Khan's form has been a bit patchy. While he is one of a number of players I'd like us to keep, agree that there is too much uncertainty to be dishing out contracts at present.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure how accurate this is and assume OConnors wages may be paid mostly by Celtic but interesting all the same

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not sure how accurate this is and assume OConnors wages may be paid mostly by Celtic but interesting all the same

Interesting and surprising. Out of interest, I went on the Mansfield page and found Andy Cook is on more than twice the money that any of our permanent players are on. That may explain why we didn't sign him either permanently or on loan in January. I expect Bradford City were able to pay more, anyway.