• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Arguably as strong as our starting eleven in League One in the first half of last season.

We don't have a direct replacement for Spearing, but if he got injured we would be screwed anyway. He is indispensable.
Agreed. I don't think any of the other midfielders have the qualities to sit in there....possibly Lewis at a push. Maybe push O'Connor or McDonald in there as there are genuine alternatives for their places.

drwhoman

Nugent is a highly experienced player and will score more goals than Ferrier provided he is committed and is fit. We have had one or two very experienced strikers in recent years who have simply not be up for it. I am sure that Hill will have had that conversation. It is entirely up to both he and Crawford as to whether they flourish. Bolton cannot have been the easiest gig with all the comings and goings there but, again, Hill will know what Crawford has to offer. We are no worse off with either of them. Keeping MacDonald is a big positive.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
At the end of it all, I'm pleased with this window, but amazed that we've only shipped out two loanees. It's a massive squad, which we haven't had since the sixties. We now have quality and quantity. Keith's main problem now is to keep everyone happy!

drwhoman

At the end of it all, I'm pleased with this window, but amazed that we've only shipped out two loanees. It's a massive squad, which we haven't had since the sixties. We now have quality and quantity. Keith's main problem now is to keep everyone happy!
Agree BBTC but on the other hand, in most cases, they only have to hang round for another few months, taking their pay, before they can go elsewhere!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
BBTC, Banks and Payne also left, so think 4 out 4 in?

It is a decent sized squad with options in most areas. While agreeing that Spearing has made himself indispensable, the lack of defensive midfield cover may become an issue if he’s unavailable. Think Micky tried defenders there (Rides and Buxton) and it didn’t work, while can’t see any of the current crop as an option. Will have to hope Jay stays fit and steers clear of suspensions!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think Nugent will take a bit of time to get match fit. Crawford has apparently been disappointing this season but did well under KH last season.

I would say by far the best bit of business we did was getting Macdonald on a permanent deal.

As for Ferrier & cbt I'm not too sure we will see much of them the rest of the season and it's a pity we couldn't offload them or a centre half as the squad is currently huge.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’d still like to see CBT involved and now the window is shut maybe he’ll knuckle. Down and try and impress in training

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
BBTC, Banks and Payne also left, so think 4 out 4 in?

It is a decent sized squad with options in most areas. While agreeing that Spearing has made himself indispensable, the lack of defensive midfield cover may become an issue if he’s unavailable. Think Micky tried defenders there (Rides and Buxton) and it didn’t work, while can’t see any of the current crop as an option. Will have to hope Jay stays fit and steers clear of suspensions!
Yes, the squad is the same size as the one we started with and obviously still has to comply with the wage cap. If Spearing was injured I think we would play a diamond or three in midfield.

I agree with Mart about MacDonald but if Ferrier and CBT want contracts somewhere else next season they will have to knuckle down in the next few months.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Nugent has scored in the premier league and in a full international for England (admittedly against Andorra), we've not had many of them at Prenton Park.

It will be interesting to see how he does at this level, hopefully he's got another couple of seasons in him.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hopefully Nugent will be more successful than a previous ageing striker we signed who had a single cap for England and played in the premier league - Michael Ricketts

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Yes, the squad is the same size as the one we started with and obviously still has to comply with the wage cap. If Spearing was injured I think we would play a diamond or three in midfield.

I agree with Mart about MacDonald but if Ferrier and CBT want contracts somewhere else next season they will have to knuckle down in the next few months.
The problem for Ferrier and CBT now will be opportunities. Neither even made it onto the bench on Saturday - and that was before Nugent and Crawford arrived.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The problem for Ferrier and CBT now will be opportunities. Neither even made it onto the bench on Saturday - and that was before Nugent and Crawford arrived.
I'm sure that they will get opportunities if they knuckle down. The ball is in their court.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am sure they only failed to make the bench on Saturday because potential transfers were in the offing, certainly in the case of Ferrier.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Nugent has scored in the premier league and in a full international for England (admittedly against Andorra), we've not had many of them at Prenton Park.

It will be interesting to see how he does at this level, hopefully he's got another couple of seasons in him.
Michael Ricketts

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Hopefully Nugent will be more successful than a previous ageing striker we signed who had a single cap for England and played in the premier league - Michael Ricketts
Ricketts must challenge for the worst ever player to pull on a Rovers shirt! I remember him being brought on as sub and he was knackered from running to the box from the dugout. Shocking!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Ricketts must challenge for the worst ever player to pull on a Rovers shirt! I remember him being brought on as sub and he was knackered from running to the box from the dugout. Shocking!
I remember that. - he was blowing for tugs. :)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

There’s been a few over the years. Godwin Antwi springs to mind