• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Payne joins Paul Hurst at Grimsby who got the best out of him at Shrewsbury. Stefan on his day if given service could score but had injuries and was never going to get in ahead of Vaughan.
Wish him luck but I’m not too bothered he’s gone

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Payne would be more prolific than Ferrier at this level if played regularly, but he was not good enough for us in the long term. Not too bothered he has gone provided the new signings work out.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting signing. And he's yet another Scouser returning to Merseyside! Keith has said he's been after him for a while. I wonder when he saw him in action. He was in the squad for the EFT game but didn't feature. He's very inexperienced but apparently has the high energy game KH plays. Does Keith really think he is ready for League Two football? Presumably yes, as I doubt we can afford to spend money from our precious salary cap on "ones for the future". Let's wait and see. I wonder were this leaves Jake Burton, although he's a year younger.

Player
aldo
I for one am glad Payne has gone overpaid waste of space, good some of the lads who don't feature are getting shipped out get the feeling it is going to be a busy week with ins and outs

Player
aldo
true but I know some who work at the club and they did not like him and he was one of the big earners, every time I have seen him he was poor or always got injured so I am happy we have got shut of him

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting move for someone with so little senior football - assume it means Burton will be off out on loan if we can find someone to take him and then will be let go at end season now that Jolley has signed - shame I would like to have seen him given more game time.
Seems no matter which Manager is in charge the youth setup simply can't produce players as the PL creaming off all talent now - DWR also seems to have sunk without trace this season.

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

Don’t think he featured in the EFL game, he certainly didn’t start it? Given Wigan’s financial woes and pared down squad, surprising he wasn’t given much opportunity there if he’s got potential. Would like Jake Burton to be given another go, if we’re going down the inexperienced striker route.
Curiously we’ve already had a Charlie Jolley on the books who played a handful of games for Rovers in the 50s
Interesting re Charlie Jolley. The 1950s guy was also a forward. Born in Bebington. Went on to play a few times for Chester and then Oswestry. Died a few years ago. I wonder is they were related?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting move for someone with so little senior football - assume it means Burton will be off out on loan if we can find someone to take him and then will be let go at end season now that Jolley has signed - shame I would like to have seen him given more game time.
Seems no matter which Manager is in charge the youth setup simply can't produce players as the PL creaming off all talent now - DWR also seems to have sunk without trace this season.
I agree re Burton, guessing he got covid, but deserves another chance on what I saw in the Barnsley game. The fact that Jolley hasn't been given much opportunity even in Wigan's current difficulties troubles me a bit, he is very short of experience and unless something unexpected happens, he'll probably be a bench warmer for the rest of the season.

I'd forgotten about DWR, he looked totally out of sorts in the Pizza Cup game, though played out of position and hasn't been seen since.

Player
Manager
John King
Jolley is ostensibly replacing Payne, so I don't think it is a given that Burton has no future with us.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Burton is a year younger and would not be expected to make the first team yet. However, given that Payne was injured a lot and didn’t seem to be rated by KH, it seems Charlie will push Jake further away from the match day squad.

I have huge sympathy for our youngsters. For whatever reason, they are not making the breakthrough into the first team. I think the last three to get regular games were Max Power, Jake Kirby and Cole Stockton. It’s partly the fact that bigger clubs were creaming off the best talent when we had our academy and partly because it’s difficult to blood a youngster into a promotion or relegation battle, which we’ve been in for the past nine seasons.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
We need four genuine strikers so I guess that leaves the pecking order as Vaughan > Ferrier > Jolley > Burton.

Player
Manager
John King
The reality is that it is not financially viable for the club to coach children from the ages of six to sixteen and then risk losing them for nothing under the EPP rules. A Premier League club can take any of our sixteen year olds for £7,000 which means running the academy on the same lines as in the eighties and nineties is impossible and our youth programme had to be massively scaled back.

Another instance of the Premier League screwing the lower division clubs, and the main reason why the majority of our youngsters are not good enough for the first team.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
All of us (especially Boz), would love home grown youngsters in the team. However we have to trust the management that if they were good enough they would play after impressing in training. You only have to look at the number of premiership or championship players we’ve had on loan that have ended up without a real career (admittedly some eg Ben Gibson do).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I understand why we’re operating this way now. Historically we were able to take players discarded by the bigger clubs at an earlier stage and develop them through and probably got as many that way as those who spent their entire youth career at Rovers. Kenny Irons is one that comes to mind.

I think we lose something by not having a home grown player who we can watch developing through the ranks. Hence hoping for that even under the current arrangements, but the prospects are slim.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The ITK poster on the other site is suggesting CBT, Ellis and Nelson as players who might be moved on, he is vaguer about Ferrier.

Assuming Ellis/Nelson is an either/or. It would be risky to let both go without replacement. I still think both are better players than Ray, but the manager seems to think otherwise.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The ITK poster on the other site is suggesting CBT, Ellis and Nelson as players who might be moved on, he is vaguer about Ferrier.

Assuming Ellis/Nelson is an either/or. It would be risky to let both go without replacement. I still think both are better players than Ray, but the manager seems to think otherwise.
It’s funny how football works. Nelson who played at Wembley v Newport ahead of Mcnulty and was excellent. Ellis was quality in the last few games of league 1 before lockdown. CBT arguably our player of this season under Dawes and Parky. Football is a ruthless business and can only assume that neither Sid or Mark have impressed Hill as much as Ray.