• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, and I think we have to be realistic too. There are goals in our midfield but we aren't going to be able to go out a cherry pick goal scoring midfielders. If the ones we have can chip in with a few goals each and the strikers do the business, we should be fine.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with Ian in that the bulk of our goals need to come from the forwards. However, Vaughan will struggle to get into double figures deployed as a lone striker, while Payne and Ferrier can’t score unless they’re playing.

Kieron Morris is one of our best players, but he’s never been that prolific a scorer, think he only got a few in half a season on loan in L2 with us previously. If all the midfield and defence can chip in that’s good, but don’t see enough there to compensate for a lack of goals from up front so Mike Jackson needs to find a way of getting the forwards
firing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Payne should be partnering Vaughan up front and that would help in terms of goalscoring.

My point is that we should not obsess with throwing more players at the squad. We have good attacking players in the squad, but we are not getting enough out of them.

It is clear that we have done a lot of the work on the training ground in terms of defensive organisation, but it is not obvious to me that we have paid the same attention to the attacking areas. Perhaps that is understandable with Jacko as manager.

Unless the understanding and pattern of play improves in the attacking areas, we will struggle to score whoever is up front.

If the defence remains solid, we have enough goals in the squad to have a successful season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have 3 strikers of which 1 is currently injured, we need another striker as was further options out wide.

Player
aldo
have to agree with all comments we need a few more players in and some out but we need pace and creative players

ADD

Player
Norwood
We also have the young lad Burton already don't forget who is a CF - no idea if he is any good mind you and whether he will get any game time this season.....
That said, I agree with what RLC said above - I thought we set up far too defensively. Payne and Vaughan should have started up front together and even more so when CBT is injured as he is now. We saw last Tuesday and again on Saturday that neither Payne nor Vaughan is remotely capable of playing up front by themselves as Norwood could...
Together, however I think they would work well and more importantly would give the midfield far more options. The stats don't lie - we created almost nothing on Saturday and whilst Jacko clearly set up for a draw on Saturday we can't be playing like that week in and week out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don't think we will set up to play with 1 up front at home, injuries permitting.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was fine to set up with one striker in a tough opening game at Mansfield and agree with Mart that we won't do it in the long term.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After 3 draws on the trot, I'm hoping for a little bit more of an attacking display on Sat with out first league match at home.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have signed kaiyne woolery ex fg & swindon attacker

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The SWA will have to forgive his brace for FGR at Wembley against us!
Seriously I’m pleased as he’s pacey, powerful and has an eye for goal. Got promoted last season too and is mates with Monthe so overall a good signing. Wonder if we’ll bring one more out and out centre forward in

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a great signing, if he's still as good as he was for FGR in the play-off final. He gave Rides the runaround and with Christian Doidge cause no end of problems. We now have genuine pace on either side. He is not a prolific goalscorer, however, and can be erratic and injury-prone, but he was a regular in Swindon's promotion-winning side. He refused a contract extension to join us, so that bodes well. Ironically, his replacement at the County Ground is Jonny Smith. At worst, he'll be a great impact player.

Last edited:

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Good signing, gives us some more attacking options, and is someone who can be a decent outlet when we are under the cosh. Hopefully this means we will adopt a more forward thinking approach to the next game as I think he and Vaughan up top will cause teams lots of problems.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He’s got pace which we need, from remarks from fans of other clubs he’s played for, maybe not so much of a footballing brain. Always looked good against us, hope for similar performances in a Rovers shirt.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting that he has signed for us after the season has started, despite having been out of contract since June. It seems discussions have been continuing for a while, so I expect either he dropped his wage demands or we upped ours or most likely a bit of both. Interestingly, the contract length has not been disclosed. My guess is it's a year with the player having an extra year's option.

The player was worth £350,000 just three years ago and was clearly a key figure in Swindon's League Two championship campaign last season, but it was Eoin Doyle who got most of their goals. Woolery scored only twice in 39 appearances. I would expect him to hit the target more often this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the generally summary is he's got bags of pace but is a bit toothless in front of goal. I guess we'll find out soon.