• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The Squad 20/21. It says a lot that we are onto our 12th page of posts on this topic and we haven't yet made a single signing. :(

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The Squad 20/21. It says a lot that we are onto our 12th page of posts on this topic and we haven't yet made a single signing. :(
sums it up for me.

Played I believe are back training on wednesday, it will be a case of trying to identify potential new signings from the training.photos.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I would have preferred to have kept caprice. He had his dodgy defensive moments in league one but in league 2 would have been ok plus he was one of the side that beat Newport so with Connor gone too it’s more of a rebuilding job.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Caprice is a reasonable player, but I do not think he is irreplaceable. There will be other free agents of similar ability that we can bring in at right back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
sums it up for me.

Played I believe are back training on wednesday, it will be a case of trying to identify potential new signings from the training.photos.
Always an entertaining pursuit that guess the player. Given the lack of any other news yet, thought a return to training should be worth a mention on the o/s.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Boz, 6th of August is I believe the arbitary date the EFL chose so all players that came in before then are assumed to be on a set average (low) wage irrespective of what they are actually paid so those teams that have spent by then will automatically (and fairly according to the EFL) be able to breach the salary cap. For us that means after that date logically there will be less immediate demand for the good players in theory. The issue of course is if the season starts on time? If it does then with less than 6 weeks to go we surely cannot have a match fit squad ready. I think MP is gambling on the season not starting on time as to be fair I think are many other clubs.
I think it is a gamble either way. A gamble to minimise expenditure at present probably has a worst case result of a difficult 20/21 if it doesn't pay off. However, the worst case scenario for overstretching finances too early will be far more catastrophic - like no club. I'm not convinced that, in our situation, buying early to exploit any salary cap regulations would be a further risk worth taking. The only clubs who would benefit from this strategy are those who would be looking at spending significantly more than any cap and have solid enough finance to do so if the resumption of match day revenues is delayed. I absolutely support MP's call on this one and don't believe that their is any other Chair in the EFL who is better placed to deal with the current situation. After all, dealing with this kind of cr*p was his day job. He's not guaranteed to get it right because nobody can predict the virus, the Government response to it in respect of crowds/business support or EFL shenanigans but we are more likely to have a club at the end of this than many others which most surely be the Number One priority.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Don't forget what Mark said was the aim for this season, he needs to back up his words with backing for Jacko as well as getting the rest of the coaching staff in place as soon as possible.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Don't forget what Mark said was the aim for this season, he needs to back up his words with backing for Jacko as well as getting the rest of the coaching staff in place as soon as possible.
Since then a lot of things have changed @bigmart , not least the introduction of short-notice local lockdowns and the slowdown of certain "liberties" that were being introduced. I'm sure Mark's strategy is evolving accordingly.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Since then a lot of things have changed @bigmart , not least the introduction of short-notice local lockdowns and the slowdown of certain "liberties" that were being introduced. I'm sure Mark's strategy is evolving accordingly.
but he also said we can last a whole year without fans.

Time is ticking away, the season starts in less than 6 weeks, Jacko needs to be backed and quickly.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
but he also said we can last a whole year without fans.

Time is ticking away, the season starts in less than 6 weeks, Jacko needs to be backed and quickly.
Yes but on what basis did he say that? It may well be the case if the club is mothballed with no football revenues and minimal wages. I can't believe that it is on the basis of no revenues and paying 20 players plus coaching staff plus other required staff plus overheads. There are very few businesses that would survive in that scenario never mind football clubs who live a hand to mouth existence at the best of times.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes but on what basis did he say that? It may well be the case if the club is mothballed with no football revenues and minimal wages. I can't believe that it is on the basis of no revenues and paying 20 players plus coaching staff plus other required staff plus overheads. There are very few businesses that would survive in that scenario never mind football clubs who live a hand to mouth existence at the best of times.
I agree. My understanding of MP's comments was that in a worst case scenario where the season does not resume and we have no gate income, we at least have enough cash to survive for twelve months, not that we can sign a squad of twenty good League Two players irrespective of the financial circumstances.

Player
Manager
John King
In other news, Harrogate seem to be on their way up from the NL. Another bankrolled club, but a nice away day when we finally get to travel there.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Worst case scenario is the season starts as scheduled mid-September and is played without any fans in the ground for the bulk if not all of next season. Assuming all the first year pros are on the bench, we still need another keeper and two others to be able to name a full squad for the season opener. We will need more than that to achieve our primary aim of staying in the FL and the later players are signed, the harder it will be to function as a unit.

None of us (that I know of) are telepaths able to see how things will pan out in terms of the virus or know exactly how Mark is thinking. However things have changed since he made the remark about funds for survival. To my mind it would be good if Mark put out a statement or better still held another Facebook meeting to explain how he sees things going forward now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In other news, Harrogate seem to be on their way up from the NL. Another bankrolled club, but a nice away day when we finally get to travel there.
Another vanity project club. In some ways, suspect the cost of replacing their artificial pitch will outweigh the benefit of FL membership in the current situation regarding spectators. Despite living in Yorkshire, never been to Harrogate yet so would be good to visit when fans are allowed back in.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Worst case scenario is the season starts as scheduled mid-September and is played without any fans in the ground for the bulk if not all of next season. Assuming all the first year pros are on the bench, we still need another keeper and two others to be able to name a full squad for the season opener. We will need more than that to achieve our primary aim of staying in the FL and the later players are signed, the harder it will be to function as a unit.

None of us (that I know of) are telepaths able to see how things will pan out in terms of the virus or know exactly how Mark is thinking. However things have changed since he made the remark about funds for survival. To my mind it would be good if Mark put out a statement or better still held another Facebook meeting to explain how he sees things going forward now.
I don't think your worst case scenario is a realistic one, since few clubs would survive a significant part of the season without matchday revenue. There would be carnage very quickly. However, I do think that some sort of statement would be comforting.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Another vanity project club. In some ways, suspect the cost of replacing their artificial pitch will outweigh the benefit of FL membership in the current situation regarding spectators. Despite living in Yorkshire, never been to Harrogate yet so would be good to visit when fans are allowed back in.
An easy journey for me and a lovely town. Let's hope that if and when we play them in Yorkshire we are able to attend. The thought of the streets and bars of Harrogate filled with footie supporters feels a bit surreal, though!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think your worst case scenario is a realistic one, since few clubs would survive a significant part of the season without matchday revenue. There would be carnage very quickly. However, I do think that some sort of statement would be comforting.
Agreed, I’ve made it on the basis other L2 sides are in a similar position to Rovers, whereas the reality is likely to be that some are not.

Player
Manager
John King

When Mark made the original comments he discussed the possibility that the season would be cancelled completely, which is why I made that reference above. That was the worst case scenario he was considering at the time.

We are far from the only club that does not have a full squad at the moment, and several of those that do could not survive a season without fans in the ground.

Player
aldo
Harrogate are up good luck with the wage cap and no fans. also lets hope shi$%y Salford get fkd horrid team and owners