• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the views expressed above are realistic rather than pessimistic. We are lucky to have a much larger ground than we need, so accommodating everyone who wants to attend while social distancing might be possible. However, filling and emptying PP without getting close to someone else would be a challenge. The queue for pies at half-time would stretch several times round the ground if we social distance! Then what about away games? Possibly, away fans will be banned initially in order to reduce transmission between communities, but then many of our fans travel further than some "away" fans. A lot to think through. Personally, I cannot see myself attending any match any time in the foreseeable future, except maybe in the local park.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
6 weeks to go till the season starts, we really need to get a move on and get the backroom.staff and squad sorted then arrange some friendlies as time is moving on.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
6 weeks to go till the season starts, we really need to get a move on and get the backroom.staff and squad sorted then arrange some friendlies as time is moving on.
It is a nightmare situation for Palios when there is so much uncertainty. We still don't really know when we will have any regular income.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It is a nightmare situation for Palios when there is so much uncertainty. We still don't really know when we will have any regular income.
Season ticket money and money from the football league is money we currently have, we cannot keep delaying things much longer if we want to have a competitive squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't see how the season is going to go ahead in this current state. We are no further forward in terms of allowing crowds of any nature and clubs at this level simply would not survive without matchday income. I do not envy MP right now. How much commitment do you make with the uncertainty of that hanging over your head?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mp has said we could survive till the end of the year if not a whilst season without crowds.

We have to plan for the season starting on the scheduled date and hope fans are allowed in at some time.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Caprice rumoured to have verbally agreed a deal with Exeter

Player
Manager
John King
Season ticket money and money from the football league is money we currently have, we cannot keep delaying things much longer if we want to have a competitive squad.
But the date on which crowds are allowed back in the ground makes a significant difference to our income which makes it difficult to budget and recruit. We won't know for certain which players we can and can't afford.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
But the date on which crowds are allowed back in the ground makes a significant difference to our income which makes it difficult to budget and recruit. We won't know for certain which players we can and can't afford.
Nor will all clubs, whi!st some have big backing others haven't yet the likes of barrow have made a number of signings.

Player
aldo
at least there is no squad taking money away from the club at the moment its catch 2 situation if we get loads of players and then they are told no season we lose tons and if they leave it to late we will have big trouble next season

drwhoman

The way things are looking in UK (and to an extent here in Oz) not signing players now does not seem a bad thing. Even if the season starts on 12th September, I wonder if even depleted crowds will be seen in October as was the UK Government's recent view.

Player
Manager
John King
Nor will all clubs, whi!st some have big backing others haven't yet the likes of barrow have made a number of signings.
About a dozen clubs have not signed anybody yet, and some of those that have will be taking risks.

I am sure we could afford to sign the cheap dross, if we assumed our income will be restricted to a minimum, but supporters would not be happy if we then spent the season struggling. We will be trying to gauge which quality of player we can afford, which is difficult when we still don't really know whether we are looking at a worst, best or moderate case scenario.

Palios said we could survive for twelve months without crowds, but he did not say we would have a high standard of squad without crowds.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The numbers of clubs who have neither signed new players or given new deals to existing players out of contract is dropping, with Cheltenham signing a couple and Exeter offering contracts to two, according to their manager, one believed to be Jake Caprice.

I accept it is incredibly difficult for Mark to make judgements in the current climate. If I had more confidence in the EFL, then not adding to the squad and financial burden makes sense. However, my fear is that it won’t be a level playing field and those that have recruited early and possibly irresponsibly won’t have those players full value recorded in any salary cap. This would put financially prudent clubs like Rovers at a disadvantage, unless any salary cap adjustments are moved back. As a supporter of salary caps, I would like to hear Mark’s thoughts on that potential disadvantage for this season.

Any thoughts on Jake Caprice’s departure? He did ok for us at this level, though I wouldn’t view his departure as such a big loss as Connor Jennings or Luke McCullough.

drwhoman

I take your point about teams having an advantage that have recruited early Boz but it is also possible that they will struggle financially having been over confident about how long the no crowds thing will go on. Unless the Premier League and EFL provide some general financial support I can see absolute financial carnage at the bottom end of the financial pyramid. We can only hope that the UK Govt gets it right. Over here in Oz we thought it was under control but it has been announced today that there will be a curfew in Melbourne 8pm-5am and tough rules across the whole state of Victoria about when you can go out and for what. We are in NSW and the borders to both Victoria and Queensland are effectively shut with few exceptions allowed. We are on the edge with some cases but not remotely as many as Victoria yet.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Boz, 6th of August is I believe the arbitary date the EFL chose so all players that came in before then are assumed to be on a set average (low) wage irrespective of what they are actually paid so those teams that have spent by then will automatically (and fairly according to the EFL) be able to breach the salary cap. For us that means after that date logically there will be less immediate demand for the good players in theory. The issue of course is if the season starts on time? If it does then with less than 6 weeks to go we surely cannot have a match fit squad ready. I think MP is gambling on the season not starting on time as to be fair I think are many other clubs.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Boz, as we are sadly in league 2 I think caprice would have done a good job for us and is another blow that He has left the club.

Player
ian goodison
I know we all see things differently but I wont be losing any sleep over caprice leaving unlike Jennings, the bloke was firstly a full back who never even got close enough to make a tackle !!!!