• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Player
aldo
the one player I'm not bothered abt is Payne useless. the sooner he goes the better my cat has better ball skills licking his balls than Payne will ever have lol. lets just say I don,t really like him

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Agreed would be excellent if they signed. Payne fell out of favour with MM but despite that and unlike reports from previous clubs I felt his attitude remained excellent and he also could do a great job for us in L2 if he starts well. Signings like them would make a massive difference. What about Danns is he coming back do we think?
I would rather we move on from danns, Perkins and potter.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think we need a bit of both. Certainly we need pace in the team but experience of promotion from L2 isn’t a bad thing either. That said Potter certainly has to go as he contributed nothing. Perkins and Danns had their moments especially the former - is it worth making Perks player coach if possible?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Personally, I would not keep Perkins or Danns. I thought Danns was the better of the two last season. However, we already have experience with Banks, McCullough and Woodyard, depending on who stays.

Don't forget, the budget and squad size is likely to be limited, so we can't afford to carry players that don't contribute regularly.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Too many 35+ year olds is a risk although Perkins made a vital difference in our L2 run in and I've enjoyed Danns's commitment last season. No matter how good or fit every ageing player is a risk and thought needs to be given to contingency planning which adds cost in some form or another. I'll be happy to just have the one senior citizen in Clarke this season. Experience doesn't have to mean players who are in the death throes of their careers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Personally, I would not keep Perkins or Danns. I thought Danns was the better of the two last season. However, we already have experience with Banks, McCullough and Woodyard, depending on who stays.

Don't forget, the budget and squad size is likely to be limited, so we can't afford to carry players that don't contribute regularly.
Agreed,if we can have those 3 then that is a good and experienced midfield.

It will be interesting to see if many others are sold, Manny & cbt appear to be going, a couple more may go too.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If CBT goes and having already lost loanee Wilson to Forest Green, the Rovers team would be seriously lacking in pace, which will need addressing when we recruit.

In midfield, Woodyard would be a good addition, but would he find another club, if we're playing a waiting game? McCullough (injury prone) and Banks (inconsistent) at peak fitness and consistency would be good signings, particularly Luke as we need someone to break up the play in midfield and I agree that Perkins and Danns are past their prime and won't be retained. Smaller squads necessarily mean a greater reliance on reliability.

Vaughan is reportedly on a decent wage and 2 year contract at Bradford. Given no certainty when the season will start and the cautious approach from Mark over taking on playing staff, I would expect us to look elsewhere.

A right-back is also needed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If CBT goes and having already lost loanee Wilson to Forest Green, the Rovers team would be seriously lacking in pace, which will need addressing when we recruit.

In midfield, Woodyard would be a good addition, but would he find another club, if we're playing a waiting game? McCullough (injury prone) and Banks (inconsistent) at peak fitness and consistency would be good signings, particularly Luke as we need someone to break up the play in midfield and I agree that Perkins and Danns are past their prime and won't be retained. Smaller squads necessarily mean a greater reliance on reliability.

Vaughan is reportedly on a decent wage and 2 year contract at Bradford. Given no certainty when the season will start and the cautious approach from Mark over taking on playing staff, I would expect us to look elsewhere.

A right-back is also needed.
the season will start either August 29th or September 12th the vote to confirm which date is ne,t friday.

If CBT & Manny are sold we.will more than be able to afford Vaughan .

Player
Manager
John King
I think we are in ongoing conversation regarding Woodyard and Vaughan. We have not offered formal contracts, but players will still have been sounded out and some already have options to join us.

It has been suggested Woodyard will sign next week.

Player
ian goodison
I know its all if's & buts at the moment but what a lift it would be to have them both on board hope I've not put the mockers on

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
the season will start either August 29th or September 12th the vote to confirm which date is ne,t friday.

If CBT & Manny are sold we.will more than be able to afford Vaughan .
Might there be a move to put the start date back, given spectators won't be allowed in until the start of October?

Vaughan went to Bradford because they apparently offered him a better deal, financially, as well as for 3 years. He started slowly, before picking up and had covid not intervened would probably have contributed to our L1 survival. However, he's coming to the end of an injury-strewn career and won't have much re-sale value. I'm unsure how much that pair are likely to generate in sales funds in the current climate, at a guess around £150,000 in total plus add ons. While I'd like Vaughan to join it has to be at a sensible cost given our greatly reduced budget.

Player
Manager
John King
Might there be a move to put the start date back, given spectators won't be allowed in until the start of October?

Vaughan went to Bradford because they apparently offered him a better deal, financially, as well as for 3 years. He started slowly, before picking up and had covid not intervened would probably have contributed to our L1 survival. However, he's coming to the end of an injury-strewn career and won't have much re-sale value. I'm unsure how much that pair are likely to generate in sales funds in the current climate, at a guess around £150,000 in total plus add ons. While I'd like Vaughan to join it has to be at a sensible cost given our greatly reduced budget.
I was told several months ago that we had discussed a permanent move with Vaughan in January / February and he was keen on the idea.

If he is still available I am sure will sign him, and he would prove a valuable addition to the squad. Prolific goalscorers don't grow on trees and we don't currently have anyone of that description in the squad.

Player
Manager
John King
We will sign Vaughan for what he can do for us next season, not his resale value.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
CBT apparently going for 300k + 20% sell on clause according to an itk poster on another site.

When Vaughan and cook signed we agreed fees and have the option to make both permanent.

ADD

Player
Norwood
CBT apparently going for 300k + 20% sell on clause according to an itk poster on another site.

When Vaughan and cook signed we agreed fees and have the option to make both permanent.
That's a good price given he can sign pre-contarct terms in january - hope it goes through.

Vaughan yes but Cook I don't think is a good deal - he was patently not fit and with the much longer gap between seasons likely to be even worse next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I genuinely don't know how you'd define a "prolific goalscorer". Vaughan was averaging about a goal every 2.5 games last season, would that be prolific?

I'd be happy to see him sign, but if he was outside our price range last season for L1, then given we're going to be in L2 now £1 million down and had to make 20 members of staff redundant, even with the monies coming in from player sales as bigmart states and the compensation for Micky, I'm still uneasy about it.

Player
Manager
John King
I genuinely don't know how you'd define a "prolific goalscorer". Vaughan was averaging about a goal every 2.5 games last season, would that be prolific?

I'd be happy to see him sign, but if he was outside our price range last season for L1, then given we're going to be in L2 now £1 million down and had to make 20 members of staff redundant, even with the monies coming in from player sales as bigmart states and the compensation for Micky, I'm still uneasy about it.
A goal every 2.5 games is a hell of a lot better than any of our other strikers managed last season, and Vaughan has actually performed better than that for periods of his career. So I would say he is prolific.

Given how cautious Palios is financially, he is hardly going to put the club at risk by signing him, particularly if the fees quoted above are accurate.

I also have some reservations about Cook, due to his fitness record and propensity for falling out with managers. However, given a decent run in the team he would probably score regularly in League Two.