• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Connor Jennings 2 year deal at Stockport

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I appreciate the sentiment regarding CJ signing for Stockport, but I can't help but think he's wasted there! He's still only 28, a footballers prime by all accounts, and he's playing 3 leagues lower than he did last season. I agree that he possibly struggled last season but he's a decent league 2 player and could have helped us get back to league 1, if an offer was made.
Agree with this, he was a key player in our promotion season, just hope we have a couple of good forwards to bring in.

Player
ian goodison
am I right in thinking if conor was out of contract he would have been without wages ? if so a 2yr contract at stockport seems too good to turn down

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am sure if it hadn't been for Covid-19 and if Micky had stayed, Connor would have been offered - and accepted - a two-year deal. But with no wages from TRFC since 1st July and no certainty of when or if he'd be re-signed, he probably lost patience and followed the money.

I am sure we'll lose others for the same reason, but frankly I can't see training starting until at least September, despite what the government are saying about games in stadiums starting in the autumn. Without a manager in place and with a salary cap in the offing, it's no surprise we are not offering senior players any deals.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am sure if it hadn't been for Covid-19 and if Micky had stayed, Connor would have been offered - and accepted - a two-year deal. But with no wages from TRFC since 1st July and no certainty of when or if he'd be re-signed, he probably lost patience and followed the money.

I am sure we'll lose others for the same reason, but frankly I can't see training starting until at least September, despite what the government are saying about games in stadiums starting in the autumn. Without a manager in place and with a salary cap in the offing, it's no surprise we are not offering senior players any deals.
games are likely to start.mid September so training will start next month.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

the players wil! Have had their wages the end of june as normal.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

I not sure we would have offered Jennings another two years without Covid. He was apparently one of the players transfer listed in January and if we had stayed in League One I don't think he would have been offered another deal.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I not sure we would have offered Jennings another two years without Covid. He was apparently one of the players transfer listed in January and if we had stayed in League One I don't think he would have been offered another deal.
Who were the others transfer-listed; Payne, Ray, Nelson?

What you say about CJ tends to tie in with some comment from Stockport fans, who believed that had Covid not intervened, there was an agreement to release Connor from his contract early so that he could join them for a small fee. Personally thought he improved, after a nervy start in L1 and is more than capable of doing a job in L2.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

What you say about CJ tends to tie in with some comment from Stockport fans, who believed that had Covid not intervened, there was an agreement to release Connor from his contract early so that he could join them for a small fee. Personally thought he improved, after a nervy start in L1 and is more than capable of doing a job in L2.
I think there were only about 6 who were not made available for transfer.

Player
Manager
John King

Had we stayed in League One I think it would have been sensible to release him. He is fine in League Two, but no club has offered him a two year deal at that level (apparently).

I think eight or nine players were transfer listed. I would guess that included the names mentioned above, plus Mullin and the old stagers in midfield.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I remain hopeful that the likes of Ray and Payne who struggled in league 1 may do better in league 2. I can’t see their being much interest in them so we may be stuck with them. Even Mullin May come into that category although he just isn’t prolific enough.

woodyard sounds like he might rejoin which is a positive.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One decision Jacko may make is the captaincy. Jacko himself was a centre half skipper and if with Clarke tied down, if it were me I’d give him the armband

Player
ian goodison
keep forgetting ray was captain at crewe if I,m right so as sparky says should be ok in this league (fingers crossed)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I remain hopeful that the likes of Ray and Payne who struggled in league 1 may do better in league 2. I can’t see their being much interest in them so we may be stuck with them. Even Mullin May come into that category although he just isn’t prolific enough.

woodyard sounds like he might rejoin which is a positive.
I doubt mullin will be offered a contrsct.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Were have the Woodyard rumours come from, does anybody know?

Player
Manager
John King
Were have the Woodyard rumours come from, does anybody know?
General Twitter rumours, but the usual source on the other site now says the deal is almost done.

That would be a huge signing, particularly if we get Vaughan as well, which is possible from what I was told a few months ago.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agreed would be excellent if they signed. Payne fell out of favour with MM but despite that and unlike reports from previous clubs I felt his attitude remained excellent and he also could do a great job for us in L2 if he starts well. Signings like them would make a massive difference. What about Danns is he coming back do we think?