• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
All part of KH long term plan.. Who's up for more of the same nonsense tomorrow night?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
So far then Smith, Young and Banks all left with no incomings to the squad. We are very light on central midfield as well as right back yet look to possibly bringing in a left back........
We look weak in central midfield, at right back and arguably at centre forward. They are the areas where we surely need to strengthen.

I would say the centre of midfield has to be the priority now, with Banks and Young both leaving.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Good luck to him - a nice move. A luxury player however - great in games like Leicester kids but simply not quick enough in tight games when pressed. Before Covid he wasn't even making the bench. Not concerned at his departure. Did we get a fee or was his contract cancelled by mutual consent? I assume the latter?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good luck to him - a nice move. A luxury player however - great in games like Leicester kids but simply not quick enough in tight games when pressed. Before Covid he wasn't even making the bench. Not concerned at his departure. Did we get a fee or was his contract cancelled by mutual consent? I assume the latter?

no mention of a fee. My guess is he knew he wasn’t guaranteed first team action and his contract was up in June and probably got an 18 month deal at barrow

Player
ian goodison
if he's been offered say an 18month contract fair play to him short career and at this level wont be a millionaire when he retires

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Only three of our squad have deals beyond this summer (Davies, Vaughan and Spearing), so I would expect that any of the fringe players could be persuaded to leave if they were offered an 18-month deal elsewhere. Conversely, most players at other clubs will be in the same position, so we could benefit from that. The salary cap will make it more likely that clubs must offload before they recruit. I can foresee an interesting fortnight until the transfer window closes.

Player
Manager
John King
The counter argument would be that most of our contracts only run until the end of the season, because we don't want the risk of being committed to longer deals when there is so much financial uncertainty. I am not sure how many clubs will be willing to offer eighteen month deals at the current time (including ourselves), given that it is highly unlikely full crowds will be attending even in the early part of next season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think its still far from certain what will happen crowds wise for next season. Safe to say rest this season is a right off for getting back in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I attended the two home games this season and it was just rubbish to be honest. The football was poor and so was the atmosphere. Football will never be the same without crowds and people screaming/cheering at the players.

Player
Manager
John King
I must admit, I quite enjoyed the Walsall game. After so long away, the football seemed like La Liga, as there is a massive difference between watching on a screen and experiencing a match in the flesh. The reaction of the fans when the players first came out of the tunnel was quite moving as well.

However, I agree it will be some time before we are back to anything approaching normality.

Player
aldo
well after watching the last few on tv, I am glad I am not watching it and freezing my balls off starting to remind me of when parry was in charge watching dross week in week out

drwhoman

Interesting that Danny Rowe has left Oldham for Bradford. Maybe L2 is proving hard for him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting that Danny Rowe has left Oldham for Bradford. Maybe L2 is proving hard for him.
Bradford are also league 2 drwhoman. I don’t think he set the world alight at Oldham apart from a few spectacular goals. He did ok I think but has got an 18 month deal at a bigger club so can’t blame him.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Rowe had actually been one of Oldham's best couple of players this season, and their supporters seem gutted that he has gone.

I think he copes comfortably in League Two, but I doubt we were interested in him given the creative attacking options we have already got. Rowe effectively plays as a number ten and we already have several players that can perform that role.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the snippet of banks interview on a trip to the moon about why he left. Basically he wanted to stay but didn’t like not playing but mentioned he wasn’t getting a fair crack of the whip after training hard all week.
That’s football I guess. You wonder if he was hills sort of player being a flair player who some accused of not the type to put his foot in.

Player
Manager
John King
Just watched the snippet of banks interview on a trip to the moon about why he left. Basically he wanted to stay but didn’t like not playing but mentioned he wasn’t getting a fair crack of the whip after training hard all week.
That’s football I guess. You wonder if he was hills sort of player being a flair player who some accused of not the type to put his foot in.
I don't think Banks' style of play really fits in with the current group of players. At our best under Dawes and Hill we have played little midfield triangles, with short range passing and a lot of movement, but Banks is too cumbersome for that kind of football.

I don't think he ever really recovered from Norwood leaving. Those forty yard passes in behind for Norwood to run on to were his forte.