• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

drwhoman

Drwhoman, players signed before today are deemed to be average L2 salary, which may help those teams who have recruited early. Players already under contract at relegated /demoted sides also are deemed average salary which will help Rovers the coming season.

Think Bradford were one of the no votes, guess Salford the other.
Thanks Boz. Southend voted no so they must be the other.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very hard to understand why Southend would vote that way, given their regular problems with the taxman.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The downside in the short term is that it probably makes the Vaughan transfer extremely unlikely, as we would only be able to offer him a fraction of his current salary at Bradford.
It speaks volumes that our only pre-salary cap signing was Jay Spearing. I think most of us are surprised we made any, as I still think Mark is expecting wage levels to fall in the next few weeks, partly due to the cap and partly due to the changed economics of football. If we were ever going to make any other marquee signings, they would surely have been before today.

Player
aldo
it's going to be a hard season with over 1mill off our budget. that's huge and it will be a massive difference to the quality and the number of players we will have

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
it's going to be a hard season with over 1mill off our budget. that's huge and it will be a massive difference to the quality and the number of players we will have
In fairness, AM, we have 10 players still on contract from last season plus Jay Spearing. All are L2 standard or above and their wages only count as L2 average for salary cap purposes. That's a strong squad already, which we know we have budgeted for and can afford. We still have real funds and salary cap budget for a few more good players. So, I don't think we will struggle next season, but it would be a big ask to expect a rookie manager to take us straight back up against sides with the moneybags backing of FGR, Mansfield and Salford. But as ever with Rovers, we live in hope!

ADD

Player
Norwood
I am not going into the is it or is it not a good idea since I know all I will get back from some is that MP voted for it so it must be a good idea (though Vince also agreed to it which immediately makes me suspicious)!
What is noteworthy again however is how Parry is running the EFL. Any salary cap requires discussions with the PFA which has not happened or so the PFA have said and the PFA have already insisted that this is "illegal and unenforceable"and have sought for it to be put on hold pending arbitration. This could well end up in court.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The PFA would say that though, would not they ? And I think FGR have actually reduced their spending since getting in to the League. Vince probably realises he can't compete with Salford, so the cap suits him as much as us.

And I love your patronising attitude regarding Palios. Some of us are capable of coming to the same conclusion as Palios independently.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be interesting to see how far the PFA get with their action. I don’t think that the EFL have implemented the salary cap arrangements well and to my mind a workable form of FFP is a far fairer way of ensuring clubs live within their means. There are ways of mitigating the salary cap for example by paying for high quality management and back-room staff, who aren’t covered.

Forest Green are an advert for Dale Vince’s business. If their fans accounts are correct, then he’s pretty well breaking even on them now, having pumped a lot of money in to get their FL place. They seem to do quite well at bringing in young players and selling them on at a profit.

Player
Manager
John King
In theory FFP is the best method. However, it has proved too difficult to enforce in the past, and too easy to manipulate, and I think a simple and fairly draconian measure was required in response to Covid.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As predicted Evan Gumbs joins Warrington. Slightly off topic but a good first win for Micky today too.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
according to a reliable source on another site we have signed another midfielder and it will be announced next week.

Player
aldo
it really annoys me that people have a go at younger players who have never been given a go ok so pilling has moved on but some of the fans need to get in the real world. oh it's on another forum that some are having ago windes me up rant over

Player
ian goodison
at the end of the day AM we have to respect the managers choices/reasons on team selection, I worked in factory for 30 yrs and even there people were given preference over so-called better people, I'm as guilty as others have been on here as to why certain young players appear to get overlooked that's life I suppose who would be a manager !!!!!!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Gumbs sadly for him never stayed fit, pulling was simply not good enough, hopefully walker-rice will get a chance and price his worth.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
And unfortunately for Evan, we currently have four senior pro central defenders and some youngsters, so he would not have even made the bench that often. Better that he moves on to get some games under his belt and maybe get a move back into the league in a year or so. He’s still only 23.

Player
Manager
John King
The centre back position is one area where we are well covered. That might explain why we have not offered Ellis a contract yet. Perhaps Monthe has to move on before we can bring in another centre half.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The centre back position is one area where we are well covered. That might explain why we have not offered Ellis a contract yet. Perhaps Monthe has to move on before we can bring in another centre half.
with a salary cap and reduced budget, one of the current centre halves will have to leave before another is brought in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Well-covered numerically in central defence is correct. In terms of quality more debatable. George Ray rarely had a good game in a Rovers shirt, Manny Monthe lost his way in the second half of the season and Sid Nelson fell out of favour. Mike Jackson as defensive coach was unable to improve Ray, the others have had decent games in a Rovers shirt at this level. Despite their lack of pace, things improved defensively under the Clark-Ellis combo and would like to see Mark back, but under salary cap regime, can’t see any of the above trio moving on.