• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad 20/21

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Harrogate are up good luck with the wage cap and no fans. also lets hope shi$%y Salford get fkd horrid team and owners
currently there is no wage cap and they owner is worth over £120m I think they will be ok.

Player
aldo
Peter j was worth the same when he took over rovers and had under 100m when he sold up 120m is nothing in football

drwhoman

Do you pronounce it Harragut or Harrogate? (LOL!). An unkind wag on another site described the town as posh end Leeds! A shame for Notts County who were expected to win but they did not turn up apparently.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Do you pronounce it Harragut or Harrogate? (LOL!). An unkind wag on another site described the town as posh end Leeds! A shame for Notts County who were expected to win but they did not turn up apparently.
I think even the posh residents pronounce it the first way. The less posh ones just drop the "h". ;)

ADD

Player
Norwood
The Squad 20/21. It says a lot that we are onto our 12th page of posts on this topic and we haven't yet made a single signing. :(
on the plus side BBC we haven't yet lost anyone we wanted to keep
Notts County would have been much easier for me away game wise but Harrogate would be a nice day out - let's hope the fixture is later in the season....

Player
aldo
later in the season we don,t want them first they will be on cloud nine and we prob would do a usual rovers and not turn up for a team like that

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Always an entertaining pursuit that guess the player. Given the lack of any other news yet, thought a return to training should be worth a mention on the o/s.
Now featured on Twitter and the official site.

There are some photos as well, so you can get your magnifying glass out.;)

ADD

Player
Norwood
Not seen the pics yet but some suggestions CBT wasn't there? Others that he was but not taking part?

Genuinely thought we would announce some signings today that had been kept back ....

ADD

Player
Norwood
Cameron Borthwick Jackson I see has signed for Oldham today...

Player
Manager
John King
CBT is not in any of the photos as far as I can see. I am not bothered about Borthwick Jackson as he was not very good.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well.There are very few clubs left in league 2 who haven't made a signing yet.

drwhoman

The financial pandemic might be about to hit the football pyramid. Dover have announced that they are close to collapse. If 1st October is put back then we might see a cascade of clubs starting to fail. Mark is right to be cautious, however frustrating it is for the club, the players and the fans.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The financial pandemic might be about to hit the football pyramid. Dover have announced that they are close to collapse. If 1st October is put back then we might see a cascade of clubs starting to fail. Mark is right to be cautious, however frustrating it is for the club, the players and the fans.
Spot on, drw. We may end up starting the season at a disadvantage numerically (although there may be some late bargains to be had), but financially we will be more secure than most clubs. I would not be surprised if the season actually starts later than expected. I would be amazed if it is not interrupted by a second wave and it may not finish at all. I would confidently bet that not all 24 League Two clubs will be in existence this time next year. I hope I am wrong in every case, but I expect those fears are what is driving Mark's strategy. Having lost so much money through an unfair relegation, his focus on survival facing the unknown is an excellent strategy.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Most posters here seem incredibly chilled out with regard to the lack of signing/re-signing players. Interested to know at what point you think that becomes a concern?

drwhoman

Most posters here seem incredibly chilled out with regard to the lack of signing/re-signing players. Interested to know at what point you think that becomes a concern?
I think it becomes a concern Boz a few weeks before a start is certain and, even more importantly, when fan attendance can be guaranteed. We could start on 12th September but if the 1st October date is put back for crowd attendance then many clubs who have signed a raft of players will be in trouble. Not all clubs. The private hobbies like FGR will probably be ok but some longstanding community clubs in the poorer parts of the country could be in serious strife. There will be plenty of players desperate for a start by that point and who may not be so choosy over wages. It is all too uncertain at present for Mark to be doling out contracts, frustrating though it all is.

Player
Manager
John King
Personally, I would only be concerned if a relegation struggle looked likely due to our inactivity. I think that is highly unlikely when you consider the state of some clubs in League Two, on and off the pitch.

It appears that MP is prioritising the long term survival of the club, even if that means we don't challenge next season. I can see the logic in that approach.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Mike Jackson has his number 2, Ian Dawes. His coaching write up on the o/s is far better than on Wikipedia!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No doubt some will say it’s a cheap option but I’m sure Jacko in his first management job wanted someone he knew. Dawes has decent pedigree coaching at Liverpool plus some lower league clubs. Comes across well in his interview so it’s another step towards normality for the club