• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The season is drifting.... reality check needed?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Looking at the various forums the majority view still seems to be that although results are disappointing performances have generally been ok and for sure all we need do is wait until the transfer window opens and then we will bring in players which will see us alright and climbing the table to a safe mid- table position.
A few issues however - do we have the money to bring many in? Much talk about the Indonesian investment but it seems clear the vast majority will not be spent on the team but to repair the balance sheet.
The FA Cup win will have generated some cash so like last year we will likely have that to spend but is that enough?
Also why do we expect that we will bring in players substantially better than other teams some of whom (Bolton especially) will have way more money to spend than us. They have 2 games in hand which will be played after the transfer window has at least opened and possibly closed so I still don't think we can safely assume they are definitely going to be one of the relegated sides.
Finally MM seems unsure at present what to do - his post match interview suggested that if the players wouldn't raise their game he would bring in players who did but when Nelson and Ray arrived on permanent moves there was generally very positive vibes yet now Ray is completely out of favour and Nelson is not doing that great either...
We will likely only be bringing 2 or 3 in so we need the core of this team to steady the ship in their own right - with 4 points from the last 18 we should not be relying on the transfer window to sort everything out for us in my view.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
No reality check needed here. I knew the season would be a real struggle and I know the club wIll do all they can to keep us up. If we can't afford to spend big, we won't, and we have to hope we can squeeze enough out of the current squad to survive.

Player
Manager
John King
Ray, Ponticello, Potter and the other summer signings were not our first, second or even third choices apparently, so hopefully we will be able to bring in better quality players if the purse strings are loosened slightly next month. Mellon was hamstrung in the transfer market last summer, as he was in the previous summer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don't think Bolton will have that much to spend in January and I think it is asking an awful lot for us to make the bid changes that are needed. If we can get 2 or 3 in to improve the quality we will have a decent chance of staying up

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In many ways Micky is a victim of his own success. After winning promotion from the national league I’m sure most of the SWA would have taken a top half finish in league 2 last season. Promotion was brilliant of course but it has meant we’ve had numerous players who have little or no league one experience e.g Jennings, Manny, Caprice to name a few.
A number of these have struggled this season at times which isn’t a surprise. Also many of the players we’ve signed eg Perkins, Danns, Porter are at the tail end of their careers and I doubt on many clubs shopping lists last summer. But Micky can only work with what he has.
Palios will be the same. He won’t have expected successive promotions and may not be set up financially for it. I think after burton Micky finally had enough and sent a message to palios to say back me or we may well go down. But does mark have enough money with the Indonesian investment? Who knows.

the problemsis if we go down there is no guarantee we’ll be challenging for L2 promotion next season.

so I certainly don’t think Micky is at fault: he can only work with what he has. Some of his signings haven’t worked but our financial restrictions will mean we have to take risks and some won’t work out. In many ways we are lucky this season that bury went and Bolton had the deductions. Otherwise we could be in major trouble with a lot more pressure on palios and Micky

Player
Manager
John King
In many ways Micky is a victim of his own success. After winning promotion from the national league I’m sure most of the SWA would have taken a top half finish in league 2 last season. Promotion was brilliant of course but it has meant we’ve had numerous players who have little or no league one experience e.g Jennings, Manny, Caprice to name a few.
A number of these have struggled this season at times which isn’t a surprise. Also many of the players we’ve signed eg Perkins, Danns, Porter are at the tail end of their careers and I doubt on many clubs shopping lists last summer. But Micky can only work with what he has.
Palios will be the same. He won’t have expected successive promotions and may not be set up financially for it. I think after burton Micky finally had enough and sent a message to palios to say back me or we may well go down. But does mark have enough money with the Indonesian investment? Who knows.

the problemsis if we go down there is no guarantee we’ll be challenging for L2 promotion next season.

so I certainly don’t think Micky is at fault: he can only work with what he has. Some of his signings haven’t worked but our financial restrictions will mean we have to take risks and some won’t work out. In many ways we are lucky this season that bury went and Bolton had the deductions. Otherwise we could be in major trouble with a lot more pressure on palios and Micky
Agree completely.