• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

the replay

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Having watched it on TV, I think it was an effective but a far from impressive performance. Our two strikers were sharp and made the difference. Our defence was pretty solid, but our makeshift midfield was not always in control. Maybe the pitch and the loss of three key players made it difficult to play fluidly. Against another League Two side (or even one from the top of the NL), we might not have escaped so lightly.

Putting a positive spin on it, we have pocketed some useful TV cash and have a great chance of a plum third round tie. And hopefully, we've turned the corner out of our mini-blip. With the two Macs back on Saturday, I am hopeful we'll play a lot better.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agree with BBTC, the performance was professional yes and we limited them to that one goalmouth scuffle but on the other hand the passing was still very wasteful with way too many hoof balls up toward Mullin and Nors which came straight back at us. For the neutrals a pretty dire games and Oxford were surprisingly poor by comparison to Saturday. Whilst I appreciate MM's tactics of soaking up pressure and scoring on the break it is still an indictment of our fragile defence in recent games that we felt the need to do so for fear of being exposed to their fast front 2. Credit where credit is due however Harris did well and managed to avoid getting sent off as I worried about with a generally mature performance apart from when he kicked one of their players half way up his back! I assume McNulty will come back in on Saturday but I feel Sutton did well enough alongside Monthe to give MM a decision to make. Also delighted to see Rides finally back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn’t catch last night’s game, but if we managed to stifle our opponent that was clearly an improvement over the original tie. With both strikers scoring it was job done and all that MM could ask for.

How did Stockton look on his cameo?

I’d be surprised if Micky doesn’t recall McNulty for the Oldham game, though I’d look to rest Steve for the Southport cup tie. How long is Banks out for, if it’s a significant time, that could give us problems moving forward.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Having watched it on TV, I think it was an effective but a far from impressive performance. Our two strikers were sharp and made the difference. Our defence was pretty solid, but our makeshift midfield was not always in control. Maybe the pitch and the loss of three key players made it difficult to play fluidly. Against another League Two side (or even one from the top of the NL), we might not have escaped so lightly.

Putting a positive spin on it, we have pocketed some useful TV cash and have a great chance of a plum third round tie. And hopefully, we've turned the corner out of our mini-blip. With the two Macs back on Saturday, I am hopeful we'll play a lot better.
The midfield was not great in possession, but what did we expect with Harris and a youngster in there ? I do wonder what some people expect sometimes. It takes two teams to produce a silky game of football, and last night's match was never going to be that game. It was all about digging in, keeping our defensive shape and avoiding the errors and complacency that dogged the first game. Nonetheless, we put together several excellent attacking moves.

I think some people are too attuned to watching Guardiola's City on TV. If last night was poor, what was the 3-3 draw at Prenton Park........

I thought in the circumstances it was a very impressive performance. We kept Oxford at arm's length for the entire ninety minutes, limiting them to scraps, while creating six or seven very good chances ourselves. In the first half Oxford had a lot of possession in our half of the pitch but never once got behind our back four, and Norwood and Mullin were a constant threat on the counter attack. I thought Micky would be tempted to go with two strikers and that Oxford would struggle to deal with them, and so it proved. After half time Oxford huffed and puffed and forced a succession of corners, but I never once thought we were going to concede.

Individually, Monthe was immense and both full backs were solid, while never really looking to overlap: Bakayogo matched their number seven for pace and he was completely nullified. Ritchie Sutton looked rusty but was never unduly troubled. Harris scrapped and worked hard in midfield and Gilmour showed some nice touches, but there is a big hole there without Banks and McCullough. Cole was classy in possession again and both strikers were excellent.

However, my man of the match was Connor Jennings. It might not have been obvious on TV, but the amount of defensive work he got through was incredible and he was good on the ball as well.

I would be tempted to go with the same tactics on Saturday, albeit with McNulty restored and the midfield duo returning (assuming Banks is fit).

Player
Manager
John King
Didn’t catch last night’s game, but if we managed to stifle our opponent that was clearly an improvement over the original tie. With both strikers scoring it was job done and all that MM could ask for.
Indeed.

Player
Manager
John King

How did Stockton look on his cameo?
He was only on for five minutes and looked very rusty indeed. I think it will take him a while to get up to speed.

It was good to see Ridehalgh back on the pitch as well.

Player
Manager
John King
Whilst I appreciate MM's tactics of soaking up pressure and scoring on the break it is still an indictment of our fragile defence in recent games that we felt the need to do so for fear of being exposed to their fast front 2.
Those tactics demonstrate why Mellon is an excellent manager. He identified Oxford's strengths from the first game - their pace and mobility up front - and completely nullified them, while maintaining our attacking threat. And our defence is not nearly as vulnerable as you suggest.

We could have played tippy-tappy stuff in midfield last night - as in the first game - and lost.

Player
aldo
The problem for Cole Stockton is that he has two inform forwards . So he is gonna have to start scoring with mullin now asisting in goals as well as scoring them he seems to be doing more work now so cant see cole getting meney starts for the time being.

Player
Manager
John King
Danny Coyne's Shrewsbury are outplaying moneybags Salford tonight. Ollie Norburn is on set plays for The Shrews. Lois Maynard and Liam Hogan have come off the bench to save Salford.......

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The midfield was not great in possession, but what did we expect with Harris and a youngster in there ? I do wonder what some people expect sometimes.
RLC, I'm not sure what you are saying? Your tone indicates you disagree with me, but your words seem to support what I wrote. I explained why I thought the midfield could not be expected to be as strong as usual. I think my comments were entirely fair and sympathetic.

BTW, I agree with your assessment that Jennings was MoM. The strikers did their bit, as did the defence, but CJ worked tirelessly in midfield and hardly put a foot wrong. His presence must have reassured Cole, Gilmour and Harris.

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, I'm not sure what you are saying? Your tone indicates you disagree with me, but your words seem to support what I wrote. I explained why I thought the midfield could not be expected to be as strong as usual. I think my comments were entirely fair and sympathetic.

BTW, I agree with your assessment that Jennings was MoM. The strikers did their bit, as did the defence, but CJ worked tirelessly in midfield and hardly put a foot wrong. His presence must have reassured Cole, Gilmour and Harris.
I have watched the whole game back, and while accepting they did not reach the heights of Banks at his best, the midfielders were actually a lot better on the ball than you gave them credit for. Given the nature of the game - a tie away to non-league opposition, on a bad pitch, in driving sleet - I thought some of our football was very good at times.

You said the performance was 'unimpressive'. On the contrary, I thought with and without the ball, we were very impressive and outplayed the opposition.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
snails in garlic butter is a french classic .fillet steak med rare on a rostie potato with a red wine and shallot reduction. is an english one will set you back £40 just with the fillet steak and snails add a good rioja wine abt 2008 to 2010 prob £35 a bottle a good night bye all
Snails in garlic butter is one of my favourite starters but unfortunately the wife won't come near me! Then I fancy a beef Wellington. Is that on your menu too, AM? If so, do you do takeaways to Kent? ;)

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Danny Coyne's Shrewsbury are outplaying moneybags Salford tonight. Ollie Norburn is on set plays for The Shrews. Lois Maynard and Liam Hogan have come off the bench to save Salford.......
Quite an entertaining game and Salford played some decent football.
Their young lad in the middle, Tom Walker, was best player on the pitch. Very impressed by him.
Pleased for Danny Coyne that Shrews got through.

Player
aldo
im doing a beef welly for xmas day the beef the whole fillet is costing £60 . if im ever in kent will come and cook what ever you want

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As mouthwatering as your cooking sounds AM, can we try and stay on topic please. Feel free to create another thread.

Player
ian goodison
thought I,d strayed onto the hairy bikers website for a moment!!!!! AM I,ve put o stone on just reading your recipies

Player
aldo
Nah let's talk food haha . I've just got my wife's Xmas pressie taking her to one of hestons restaurants . The whole weekend is costing a small fortune . But hey she's been there for me so gotta give it back .