• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Pitch

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thought the pitch was looking poor when we played Stoke with some very wet looking patches and big divots kicked up. Comments that the game had come too early given the weather we had had.
Today the game was halted to clear standing water - little point in reseeding the pitch and doing nothing to the drainage especially in the corner that always floods...
Looks like our pitch will be even worse than last year - disappointing!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Extremely. The sides are terrible. It's been raining all day but if a pitch can't contain a days worth of moderate rain, it doesn't bode well.

Player
aldo
so whats the head grounds man doing . its not cleaver having a crap pitch . even b4 the season starts. its a real concern

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
so whats the head grounds man doing . its not cleaver having a crap pitch . even b4 the season starts. its a real concern
I am not sure you can just blame the ground staff. The pitch is only as good as the amount of money that is invested in it, and we have major problems with drainage due to the location.

Player
aldo
yes i guess that . but getting a head grounds man is not cheap they should know how to deal with it. at my club today we have had 6 miles of golf course with over 160 playing ok we have spent a lot of money sorting it .. mey be its time to put the pounds in to get this sorted

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't remember the pitch ever being this poor in terms of drainage. It seems to be getting worse by the season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is all about money that the club does not have.
But we've not had money for a long time yet the pitch was never saturated after a days rain. Something doesn't seem right to me.

ADD

Player
Norwood
But we've not had money for a long time yet the pitch was never saturated after a days rain. Something doesn't seem right to me.
The reality is that all we are doing is taking off the the top few inches and then reseeding. The soil beneath will be getting more and more compact every season so the drainage will get worse every season if nothing else is done... having a full time Groundsman won't do anything to solve the problem. TBH I wasn't at yesterday's game and don't live on the Wirral so not sure how much rain there was but at the Stoke game you could see the pitch was very wet and cutting up badly on the flanks when there had been rain before but not that much...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't remember the pitch ever being this poor in terms of drainage. It seems to be getting worse by the season.
It has always been bad, although last season there actually seemed to be an improvement. There is a natural stream bed that runs underneath Borough Road, so we are always going to have problems due to geography. How much that can be addressed by improved drainage, I don't know.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I guess the big concern is that if it's like that after a day, we could have fun in the winter.