• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

the match v macc

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
You're so right now AM.
Lose and we're 7 behind and they have game in hand.
Pity it's a midweek game which will affect the attendance.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Today's gate of 5.5k with few visitors surprised me. I thought people would be saving their money for Tuesday. However, with Macc likely to bring a few hundred, hopefully we'll see another 5,000+ gate. I expect the good Wirral public are hoping for a tenth home league win on the trot and I hope they are not disappointed. Clearly, it will be a more open game than today. Although Macc would be perfectly happy with a point, I don't think they will pack their defence like Bromley.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would expect the gate to be 6,000 plus. We got 7,000 against FGR for a midweek game last season, but that was a bit later in the year. Macclesfield have been a real bogey team for us since relegation, particularly at Prenton Park, and I am very nervous about this one. Defeat ends our title challenge I think.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Defeat doesn’t end anything with so many points to play for yet but admittedly it would certainly be disappointing and quite difficult to recover the gap.

I thought the lads looked a bit nervy against Bromley so I’m heading more towards a cagey 1-1.

A win would be superb!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with Ian. This is the most important game of the season so far. 1-1 looks a likely score with two evenly matched teams and neither side wanting to lose. However, a win would give us a real boost and provide te impetus we need for the rest of the season.

Player
Manager
John King
Defeat doesn’t end anything with so many points to play for
It would if Macclesfield also won their game in hand and opened up a ten point gap. There is no way we would recver that in eleven games. It has taken us three months to bridge an eleven point gap to Wrexham.

Obviously I hope that does not happen.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On a separate note, I find it amazing we are taking about attendances in the 5/6/7k mark for the National League.

drwhoman

It is a bit crazy when there is a possibility that Borehamwood could be promoted on gates of a few hundred. I agree with the score forecast but it may depend on who scores first. If it is Mac they may well shut up shop. If it is Rovers, with the crowd behind them...... We can but hope! A first goal via a one on one by James Norwood!

drwhoman

Changing the subject for a second. Steve Davies scored an injury time equaliser for Rochdale against Spurs. A poke in the eye for the arrogant! Sad to think that our Chester fee is probably less than a day’s pay for Harry Kane. How ludicrous it has all become.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that if we lose this, it ends our chances of automatic promotion, as Macc must be good for at least a point, if not all three, in their game at hand away at Maidstone.play

As RLC points out, the Silkmen have proved difficult opponents during our NL stint. In the reverse fixture, we spurned a couple of chances to kill them off and paid for it with an injury-time equaliser and they came close to grabbing a winner. Like BBTC, don't think they'll set out ultra defensively for this game, but we do need to take our chances and keep things tight at the back.

Drwhoman, while I don't begrudge Rochdale their money-spinning replay at Wembley, I wish that someone other than Davies had got their equaliser, after his behaviour in running down his contract and doing down the club in tribunal.

drwhoman

Do not disagree Boz. Pleased for Rochdale particularly after Spurs Manager was whinging about having to play on their pitch. Pathetic. And to think of the mud heaps everyone played on years ago. You could only admire the likes of George Best who weaved his magic on them!

Player
Manager
John King
I was not overly impressed by Macclesfield in the reverse fixture, apart from the first thirty minutes when they played some nice football. We had the better chances on the night and should really have won the game. When you look through their squad they have a lot of decent players, but not many you would call stars at this level.

However, the whole is clearly greater than the sum of the parts and they must have something about them to have achieved such consistency this season. Their away form in particular is phenomenal, with 12 victories from 17 games.

Our previous three games at Prenton Park against Macc have seen two poor defeats and a scratchy 1-0 victory. We always seem to struggle against them, largely I think because they play a possession based game which is unusual at this level. We are used to dominating the ball in home matches and we often seem uncomfortable against teams who match or better our ball retention (think of Aldershot as well).

On Tuesday the team with the best home record meets the side with the best away points average, so something has to give. The superstitious part of me thinks we won't win ten games in a row, but who knows. I stand by my earlier statement that defeat ends our title hopes, and a draw leaves us with only a slim chance: Macclesfield have lost only one of their last fifteen games and are unlikely to lose two or three of the final twelve.

We desperately need a win and the SWA have a big part to play. Pre-sales of 3,700 even at this early stage suggest there will be a great crowd at PP for the biggest game of the season by far.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
will be disappointing if macc dont sell a few hundred tickets only 25 sold at mo . i know its a tuesday night but its not as its 200 hundred miles away . and against a bottom team. .... as for the game we need to just get a win . ever ugly or great who cares . i think meybe the team had there minds on it ........

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would imagine some travelling fans will only decide on the day, work/family etc. 25 so far is disappointing, was expecting a couple of hundred.

Haven't seen Aldershot, Sutton or Fylde live. Of our promotion rivals, the side who impressed me most were Boreham Wood, but Wrexham and Macclesfield are decent sides at this level and very much in contention for promotion.

Player
aldo
now 50 away fans witch is realy poor . over 4000 sold now we just got back after getting are tickets

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, but it's not all-ticket and PP is a big ground, so most away fans will just pay at the gate. However, it doesn't look promising. I think the main losers will be Macc players, who won't get the support they deserve.

Player
Manager
John King
Macclesfield had over 200 fans at Aldershot on Saturday and will bring a minimum of 3-400.