• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Manager

Who should be in charge for the remaining games this season ?

• Hill

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Dawes and Parkinson

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Somebody else

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

drwhoman

I was thinking about Nugent and suspect he scored most of his goals in his career up top with a partner. Whereas for us he’s had to play centrally in a 3 and he’s had to do too much running. That’s where Keith has failed in that whereas Vaughan was good in that role, Nugent obviously isn’t up to it.

the CBT situation drives me mad. Keith knows we’re struggling to score. CBT is electric in training and gets 3 minutes. What a joke
I tend to agree on the partner issue although the guy is 36. How many strikers are still playing at a serious level at that age? Defenders yes. He has a good pedigree but a poor signing. He has six or seven years on Norwood and Vaughan and to play in a lone striker role? Unkind I know but did anyone check this before they signed him?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Nugent was surely brought in to play with Vaughan or Ferrier, not to play as a replacement lone striker for either.

Even though he's been largely ineffective so far and certainly can't rely on pace to trouble defenders, he's still got good footballing intelligence so may yet make a contribution as a partner for Vaughan. Like he did at Carlisle.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Nugent was surely brought in to play with Vaughan or Ferrier, not to play as a replacement lone striker for either.

Even though he's been largely ineffective so far and certainly can't rely on pace to trouble defenders, he's still got good footballing intelligence so may yet make a contribution as a partner for Vaughan. Like he did at Carlisle.
The problem with that is that Vaughan is nowhere near fit so the 2 of them will hardly be on the pitch together for much time.

Player
Ian Goodison
For me Hill should see the season out if we don`t go up (via the play offs) then relive him of his duties.. If we go up then a decision needs to be made.

We cannot have four managerial appointments in one season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
For me Hill should see the season out if we don`t go up (via the play offs) then relive him of his duties.. If we go up then a decision needs to be made.

We cannot have four managerial appointments in one season.
It would only be two appointments actually, which would be the same if (when) he goes in the summer.

Player
Manager
John King
Jackson, Dawes and Parky (albeit interim) Hill and another equals four
Yes, but Dawes and Parky were not appointed, they were just caretakers. There have only been two appointments.

If Hill went now, we would not make an appointment until the summer.

I appreciate we would be sacking two managers, but I think Hill will go in a few weeks anyway.

Player
Ian Goodison
Four different "Management Teams" then..

I don`t think Hill will be in charge next season.

Player
aldo
your not the only one but I can,t see it unless we get pummelled then it might push Mark it is not going to cost much to move him out either as he only got a few months left, as the extension will only go live if he gets us promotion

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Keith’s only hope of having a job with us next season is taking us up in the play offs. You wonder if he’s keeping an eye on Rochdale who are likely to come down to L2 and as he’s held in high regard at Spotland. Even if we offered him a new deal if we didn’t go up, given the criticism he’s had he may prefer to go somewhere where he’s wanted

Player
Manager
John King
Keith’s only hope of having a job with us next season is taking us up in the play offs. You wonder if he’s keeping an eye on Rochdale who are likely to come down to L2 and as he’s held in high regard at Spotland. Even if we offered him a new deal if we didn’t go up, given the criticism he’s had he may prefer to go somewhere where he’s wanted
Yes, I have thought the same about the Rochdale job.

Hill's comments and demeanour after the game on Saturday suggest his mind is already elsewhere.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hasn't KH already had 2 stints at Rochdale? They don't seem like the kind of club who regularly chop and change managers, though did sack Keith to replace with Barry=Murphy the current incumbent. There aren't many other NW clubs likely to be looking for a manager, Barrow perhaps... Agree he did seem a bit distracted post-match though.