• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy THE DEADLY Submarine Rovers v Sunderland

THE DEADLY Submarine Rovers v Sunderland
Posted by Ian
Wembley (Prenton Park South)
Sunday, March 14, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Sunday, March 14, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Overall we matched the Mackems closely, but they were clinical enough to make the most of a rare occasion when we switched off. No real complaints with the performances of the starting xi, though Lewis isn't an ideal forward,still some reservations about CBT, who didn't look like he was giving 100%. Didn't look like we picked up any injuries, which has got to be a plus with a cold night in Cleethorpes coming up.

MoM Otis Khan, some great distribution and crosses and things could have gone very different had he managed to put away that chance early in the second half.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
No complaints. I'd have been gutted if it had been the play-off final. They scored with their only shot on target. That says it all. Let's take the positives and move on to Wednesday.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, he had one of his better games.

drwhoman

Hard luck Rovers. They certainly matched the Black Cats who have been winning games for fun since Johnson took over. McGeady is a former PL player and that extra touch of class was crucial. As has been said, we missed Vaughan. All the reports I have read have been very positive. Promotion is now the goal, amongst other things, to poke Parry in the eye for relegating us!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Disappointed with the result but delighted by the performance and proud of the way we played. In pure footballing terms, we were the better side with excellent movement, passing and pace and it was just the lack of a killer instinct in the eighteen yard box that let us down. Sunderland's best player (Mc Geady) produced one moment of quality to win them the game, but if our best player (Vaughan) had been on the pitch we would probably have been the victors. Today's game surely demonstrates that we have the players to compete in League One if we get there, not just make up the numbers.

I am struggling to pick a man of the match as there were so many good performances, with Spearing, Feeney, Morris, Lloyd, Kahn, MacDonald and Woolery all outstanding. CBT was excellent when he came on, but we need to see that regularly in league games, not just when he is showcasing himself at Wembley.

The failure to capitalise on the balls we put into the box is a concern, but not many League Two sides will defend as well as Sunderland: they got in numerous last ditch blocks and tackles and their keeper was pretty capable as well.

Keith looked gutted in his post match interview, which suggests there is plenty of ambition in this squad. Now let's go and win automatic promotion.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
CBT's performance was one of the many positives from this game. He has played himself into contention.

Against League Two sides, we will create and take a lot of chances, even without James Vaughan.

I hope you are right BBTC. Woolery, Feeney, Lloyd and Lewis will always chip in but we need that goal poacher to finish off the chances we create and tap in those crosses. Hopefully we’ll hear soon how long Vaughan is actually out for

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I hope you are right BBTC. Woolery, Feeney, Lloyd and Lewis will always chip in but we need that goal poacher to finish off the chances we create and tap in those crosses. Hopefully we’ll hear soon how long Vaughan is actually out for
As I said, I think you have got to bear in mind the quality of the opposition's defence. The majority of League Two sides would not cope with the amount of pressure we put Sunderland under today.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As I said, I think you have got to bear in mind the quality of the opposition's defence. The majority of League Two sides would not cope with the amount of pressure we put Sunderland under today.
Yes they did defend well today. O’Nien got the sky MOM which says a lot. Time will tell how costly Vaughan’s a absense will be.

drwhoman

Hard luck Rovers. They certainly matched the Black Cats who have been winning games for fun since Johnson took over. McGeady is a former PL player and that extra touch of class was crucial. As has been said, we missed Vaughan. All the reports I have read have been very positive. Promotion is now the goal, amongst other things, to poke Parry in the eye for relegating us!

I suspect that Max Power will have had some mixed feelings!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not disappointed at all as thought we more than matched them throughout through game.

No injuries and plenty of encouragement to take into the rest of the season when hopefully we will go up.

Most importantly local charities field both clubs will have benefited tremendously from this. Each and everyone that has donated one way or another should be immensely proud of themselves, well done to one and all.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
An excellent performance all round, and unfair to pick one individual out as they were all MOM. I honestly think if we had had Vaughan out today we would have won that game. Felt sorry for Lewis, for all his energy, he is not a striker. I think everyone, well nearly everyone, knew that if we lost James Vaughan through injury or even suspension we would suffer upfront. The January window was an opportunity to try to remedy that but for whatever reason, availability, financial, the gamble he's get through the season, etc.. the intake have been nowhere near Vaughan's ability, and its showing. The subs today, particularly CBT who was much too much for old Maxie, did their best and could perhaps have been brought on earlier, but it was not to be. A disappointment yes but in the scheme of things a minor one when promotion is the main aim. Time to reenergise and recuperate and then go again Wednesday and if we can reproduce a performance like todays Grimsby are in for a "tonking".

Player
aldo
just glad it did no go to extra time & pens, so the lads should not be too tired, also good that James is Walking around that's a good sign

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Lots of compliments regarding our performance today, and good wishes for the rest of the season, from Black Cat fans on social media.

Player
aldo
Look they are a class set of fans and I have posted on their Forum saying so no negatives, our performance today was class we just missed that Target man, but in the Bigger Picture our LG form is the key to everything we need to play the same, fair play to Keith and the Lads did us proud today, just glad we did not get injuries or silly sending offs also the Bonus of Khan being back when you consider he been out a month looked like he has never been away

drwhoman

Look they are a class set of fans and I have posted on their Forum saying so no negatives, our performance today was class we just missed that Target man, but in the Bigger Picture our LG form is the key to everything we need to play the same, fair play to Keith and the Lads did us proud today, just glad we did not get injuries or silly sending offs also the Bonus of Khan being back when you consider he been out a month looked like he has never been away
I hope we have Khan on a two year contract or other teams will be after him at the end of the season.