• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy THE DEADLY Submarine Rovers v Sunderland

THE DEADLY Submarine Rovers v Sunderland
Posted by Ian
Wembley (Prenton Park South)
Sunday, March 14, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Sunday, March 14, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
Let us get this going been a long time since we were in the LG trophy final, the first way back I was there loving the Muir and Steel and the rest of one of our best ever teams, on Sunday we take on a beast in a superb Sunderland who has some amazing players who we are going to have some plans for its a free hit this we are second favorites all over the park and their fans our after revenge for a sending off in a cup game 20 odd years ago, we have beaten some very good LG1 teams on the way to this with a relative second-string team,I think the same team baring injuries will play on Sunday as did last night, it will be tough it will be hair raising it will not be easy, but might the might Little Tranmere do it over the Might os Sunderland,I AM staying positive with a very hard-fought 2-1 with a 94th min winner or a penalty showdown with Scotty making 4 amazing saves

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am old enough to remember when Sunderland won the FACup in 1973 when Leeds were hot favourites. I even won a bet on the result. So let’s take their lead and do a Sunderland in reverse! ;)

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I am old enough to remember when Sunderland won the FACup in 1973 when Leeds were hot favourites. I even won a bet on the result. So let’s take their lead and do a Sunderland in reverse! ;)
My first ever football bet that day! My dad offered me a wager and let me choose the winner. I chose Leeds of course! I think it was only a penny but I was so upset afterwards! To be fair, it probably gave me a valuable life lesson and I very rarely gamble!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My first ever football bet that day! My dad offered me a wager and let me choose the winner. I chose Leeds of course! I think it was only a penny but I was so upset afterwards! To be fair, it probably gave me a valuable life lesson and I very rarely gamble!
Actually, I never gamble now but I had a strong feeling Sunderland were going to win when I saw the Leeds team leave their coach. Revie looked really worried. I got odds of 5-1 from a mate who was so angry at the end that he threw his ashtray at the TV. Fortunately, he missed!

A few years later I had the same feeling about Southampton, who beat massive favourites Man Utd, but couldn’t find any friend to take my bet.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Going to be really strange seeing our mighty team playing at the home of English football and us not being there, whatever the competition is (I pray we’ll be allowed there if we end up in a play off final).

Let’s face it we are the underdogs. Sunderland are in excellent form and have some top in form players like target man wyke who is scoring for fun, McGeady who on his day is a championship player; rangers loanee Jordan jones plus a certain Max Power who may have wondered how odd it could be lifting a trophy against his home town team.
A defeat would not be a disaster as long as we don’t suffer any injuries and don’t get a good hiding which could impact on confidence. The players should be relaxed so this may help as low expectations on our part.

My guess is Keith will reward the players that got us to the final where possible. So the likes of spearing, Feeney, Clarke and Scottie won’t start unless they have to. If Khan is fit I would expect something like

Murphy
Khan Ray Manny McDonald
Lewis OConnor Morris
Woolery CBT Lloyd

I’ve probably forgotten about someone. Interestingly manny could be making his 4th Wembley appearance if he plays, 3 of them with us.

I was thinking would I take a defeat if I could guarantee 3 points at Grimsby on the Wednesday? I think I would

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Never thought I'd see a Rovers manager use squad rotation for a Wembley final but I think he will!

It's likely we'll lose, but not heavily. If we start to ship goals, I'd expect the cavalry to arrive. Injuries are more of a worry, but I plan to just sit back with my pint and enjoy the occasion as best I can.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I have donated for the eTicket. Does anyone understand how they can deliver the 'reward chosen' when the full address wasn't asked for? I just had to put in a postcode but I live n a set of flats. It's almost impossible to contact anyone at Tranmere through email or phone. I didn't see an option to get a hard copy ticket, either but maybe I missed that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
@FridayNightMemories i would assume they will be sending emails out to those that chose a printed copy. Everything else can be delivered by email.

Player
aldo
we got 3 tickets all for the greater good and we are having beers and LOL pizza hahaha we thought we had to do it right and yes I am making my own brioche pizza

Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am really not sure what team we will go with. I would guess a lot will depend on the attitudes of individual players, and whether the senior squad members like Clarke, Spearing and Feeney actually want to play and say they can cope with the extra game. I don't think Kahn will be ready and I can't see CBT being rewarded with a start given how poor he has been for months:

Perhaps we will line up something like this:

Murphy
O'Connor Ray Monthe MacDonald
Crawford
Kirby Morris
Lewis
Woolery Lloyd

The Sunderland supporters seem to think they are guaranteed victory, but while they are strong favourites we have already beaten two high end League One sides in this competition, including a Peterborough team that are currently above them in the table. It is the 2021 version of Sunderland we are playing, not the 1930s outfit.

I don't think we will be thrashed and I just hope we do ourselves justice and play some decent football, as in the earlier rounds.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Quite a strange situation in many ways in that the likes of Kirby and Crawford who are both on loan, and neither have generally impressed in league fixtures, could play for the club at Wembley ahead of more permanent and established Tranmere players.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Quite a strange situation in many ways in that the likes of Kirby and Crawford who are both on loan, and neither have generally impressed in league fixtures, could play for the club at Wembley ahead of more permanent and established Tranmere players.
I think Crawford is actually cup tied is not he ? So scratch that idea.

Player
aldo
with it being a butter brioche it is so lite and tasty with loads of pepperoni and chorizo on mine and spinach and bitter lemon for my red loving wife lol

Player
aldo
not being Funny but if Crawford was able to play and Kirby I would not let them play, as with CBT, I think he will play the same team as Tuesday, can change things if we need to rest later in-game, do you think Spearing-Scotty-Clarke want to sit this out no chance, and if Woolery does what he does best at Wembley he might get TWO goals,

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I just watched a good interview on the YT channel with Peter Clarke. This Sunday will be 23 years to the day since he played at the old Wembley for England schoolboys v Brazil. It got me thinking that there is no way the senior players won’t want to play as they may not get the chance again. Some tough decisions for Keith

Player
aldo
I said that already there will be an uproar from players the senior lads if some who are not putting in what others are

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I just watched a good interview on the YT channel with Peter Clarke. This Sunday will be 23 years to the day since he played at the old Wembley for England schoolboys v Brazil. It got me thinking that there is no way the senior players won’t want to play as they may not get the chance again. Some tough decisions for Keith
I wasn’t aware of that. So even though the old stadium closed 21 years ago, we could have TWO players in our team/squad who played there. Who said football is a young man’s game? ;)

drwhoman

I said that already there will be an uproar from players the senior lads if some who are not putting in what others are
I would go with our strongest team provided they are fit. A win would give them a real lift for the important games ahead. This is a Wembley final. We should not mess about. I know that Sunderland will not be doing so. They have a big fan base to appease for their performances over the last few years. They see themselves as a PL outfit.