• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

the corona v . and sport

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think this is going to be a right mess when football does eventually return. Not only do we have the uncertainty of where we will be next season but a lot of clubs are going to struggle financially.
Just how are football club’s generating income at the moment? Online merchandise sales is one avenue I guess. There are no matches, events, meetings, hiring of rooms. Nothing.
The only other income would be season ticket sales for next season, otherwise there will be no income at all

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The only other income would be season ticket sales for next season, otherwise there will be no income at all
Yes, people really need to pay for their season ticket in the next couple of months, if they still have the means to do it.

drwhoman

The stronger clubs financially will have a huge advantage in the transfer market and fees will be down as well. The hardest hit clubs may well have to sell their better players at knockdown prices which will be a real blow to them. As has been said we may well see a few more Burys sadly.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
In Scotland the season outside of the premier has ended, promotion and relegation has been decided which looks harsh on Patrick thistle

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
BBTC, afraid that work around didn't function for me and I've better things to spend money on than a Telegraph subscription.

However if the Bundesliga suggestion of all matches in 2020 are played behind closed doors is adopted here, then there will be little enthusiasm for buying next season's season-tickets early.

I do fear the financial shortfalls will make some clubs push for a Scotland=style solution, which could make Rovers an English equivalent of Partick Thistle :mad:

Player
Manager
John King
BBTC, afraid that work around didn't function for me and I've better things to spend money on than a Telegraph subscription.

However if the Bundesliga suggestion of all matches in 2020 are played behind closed doors is adopted here, then there will be little enthusiasm for buying next season's season-tickets early.

I do fear the financial shortfalls will make some clubs push for a Scotland=style solution, which could make Rovers an English equivalent of Partick Thistle :mad:
A season ticket purchase for next season could be an effective 'donation' to the club if we see very little football in the months ahead. However, in my view it is a price worth paying if it guarantees we actually have a club to support in a year's time.

Player
Manager
John King
In Scotland the season outside of the premier has ended, promotion and relegation has been decided which looks harsh on Patrick thistle
The Scottish outcome seems the worst possible to me. However, there is some suggestion that clubs won't actually be relegated in Scotland.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A season ticket purchase for next season could be an effective 'donation' to the club if we see very little football in the months ahead. However, in my view it is a price worth paying if it guarantees we actually have a club to support in a year's time.
I don’t disagree with this and in the short term my finances and work situation mean that personally I could afford to do that. However many other fans are not in such a fortunate position.
The Scottish outcome seems the worst possible to me. However, there is some suggestion that clubs won't actually be relegated in Scotland.
On my understanding, this seems unlikely as there has to be a strong mandate for re-structuring. If the monies in the Scots top flight were divided amongst a pool increased by 2 teams, then individual clubs will get less for example and it’s hard to see those who wouldn’t have got relegated going along with that.

Player
Manager
John King
Partick Thistle now considering legal action because of the Scottish decision. Expect the same here if the EFL freeze the league table. The latest guidance suggests that some social distancing will have to reman in place until a vaccine is developed, which would mean all games behind closed doors for at least a year.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Totally agree, I fear it will happen here as reports say a number of clubs in lower.league's are pushing for it to be ended as they cannot afford further months

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The Scottish situation is different as I believe they were already considering expanding the top tier to 14 clubs. As it’s two up, two down throughout, that would probably mean no relegation would be needed in the top four divisions. However, it would not stop arguments about who gets promoted.

In England, that option does not exist and I fear any solution won’t be a solution because of legal challenges.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Did anybody see the q & a on Facebook with Mark and Nicola ? Wondered what was discussed

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was very good in terms of PR and keeping the fans in the loop. In good hands during the current difficult circumstances.

Some hints about next season's shirt. I don't remember the Hugh Foulerton (spelling?) shirts but gather they were blue.

Player
Manager
John King
It was very good in terms of PR and keeping the fans in the loop. In good hands during the current difficult circumstances.

Some hints about next season's shirt. I don't remember the Hugh Foulerton (spelling?) shirts but gather they were blue.
Yes, they were blue. Interesting that we seem to be fine in cash terms for the next twelve months at least and that playing behind closed doors is a complete no-go as far as MP is concerned. It seems we will try and issue redundancies to players if the season does not resume after furloughing ends.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Unsurprisingly, MP was a couple of weeks ahead planning for 12 month resilience as opposed to 3. Pitch sounds good too, let’s hope we get to see it soon! Its times like these when you’re glad to have very astute people running the club.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, apparently it is a Desso hybrid pitch, which is the same used by Man United, Man City and at Wembley. MP is confident we will have the best pitch in whatever division we are on next season. We considered installing undersoil heating as well, but did not think it was worthwhile with the improved surface.