• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

the corona v . and sport

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I won't hold my breath. Nothing from the PFA of course, whose chairman fat cat Gordon Taylor is paid over £2 million. The PFA should have been the first to urge all the top players to take a pay cut - with the money saved going to club admin staff and local charities like food banks. I would like to think a few players will show the lead.

At our level, it is not so much of an issue. We have no fat cats and with such a short playing career, they need every penny. Instead, they can help out in the community, as some already are.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am not sure why Premier League players are not taking a voluntary pay cut as an act of solidarity with the general population. So might have to wait a week or two for the new Porsche! I see Eddie Howe has taken a cut - good on him.
It would look better if they did it without being asked

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Clubs like Spurs and Newcastle are clearly exploiting the government furlough scheme. They have the money to continue paying their non playing staff, which will be a relative pittance compared to player wages, but expect the taxpayer to do it instead.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Clubs like Spurs and Newcastle are clearly exploiting the government furlough scheme. They have the money to continue paying their non playing staff, which will be a relative pittance compared to player wages, but expect the taxpayer to do it instead.
also if reports in the papers are true the players and agents are refusing to take pay cuts at the.moment, prem players that is

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
At our level, it is not so much of an issue. We have no fat cats and with such a short playing career, they need every penny. Instead, they can help out in the community, as some already are.
I imagine that everybody will be using the furlough scheme though, even for players, and topping up as appropriate.

Player
aldo
agree with all said loads of teams in the lower legs are going to go bust its just a matter of time . its always the big fat boys who will be ok and they don,t give a toss about the smaller teams

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Does anyone know whether professional players count as employees or self- employed? They are nearly all on fixed-term contracts. I know most of the top pros are paid through their personal companies, but I don’t know how common this is in League One.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Does anyone know whether professional players count as employees or self- employed? They are nearly all on fixed-term contracts. I know most of the top pros are paid through their personal companies, but I don’t know how common this is in Leafue One.
At our level I would think the vast majority, if not all, are employees.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
More grist to the mill, including a telling reference to Gordon Taylor near the end.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
More grist to the mill, including a telling reference to Gordon Taylor near the end.
happily hope that something g is being sorted and will be announced soon, as for Matt Hancock he has a bit of a cheek with the way testing and equipment has been handled

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sky are reporting that the pram is to give £20mill to the nhs, payments to football league and national league clubs of £125mill are to be paid and they will go to the of a with a proposal of deferrals/wage reductions of Up to 30%.

Player
Manager
John King
The season has also been suspended indefinitely in all divisions of the EPL and EFL.

Player
aldo
THE WHOLE EVERTON FA CUP GAME ON YUTUBE AND TWITTER FROM 2 Tomorrow . at last something to see lol

drwhoman

Hancock has a big mouth. I was watching a doco here in Oz the key theme of which was that the Tories are seeking to quietly privatise the NHS and that Hancock was involved in that process. Anyway, political comment over! I gather that a fair proportion of the 125m will go as parachute payments so not sure how much Rovers will see. Good that Premier League players are finally going to loosen their wallets!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hancock has a big mouth. I was watching a doco here in Oz the key theme of which was that the Tories are seeking to quietly privatise the NHS and that Hancock was involved in that process. Anyway, political comment over! I gather that a fair proportion of the 125m will go as parachute payments so not sure how much Rovers will see. Good that Premier League players are finally going to loosen their wallets!
I'm not sure but I would think it would be advanced payment of the loyalty money or whatever it is called.

drwhoman

I'm not sure but I would think it would be advanced payment of the loyalty money or whatever it is called.
Rovers and most other L1 and L2 clubs will need some cash that is for sure! We cannot expect players at our level to take significant pay cuts unless things get really dire. We have similar problems in Oz. All the sports codes have closed down and the administrators are wondering how they can survive.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Unbelievable! The PFA are now claiming that EPL players taking a 30% pay cut would be detrimental to the NHS. You couldn't make it up, so here is the story.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692

They claim taking a pay cut would mean a huge reduction in income tax paid to the government, thereby making the NHS poorer. Here are just a few things wrong with that argument.
1. If they gave ALL their pay cut to the NHS directly, it would benefit by a lot more than the income tax lost.
2. Many of the top players are paid via companies and have smart accountants whose job is to avoid paying tax, so I doubt the exchequer would suffer much.
3. Football is always very keen to project a positive image about the top level game. How do they think this argument is going to change the public's view of spoilt, overpaid and insensitive football stars?

drwhoman

It is not a good look for sure BBTC. Mind you there are a lot of other very well paid people who are keeping their heads well and truly down!