• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The blame game

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I went Saturday and it really was THAT BAD. First half we just stood off Millwall and let them run riot, they actually didnt play that well, it was just that we were abysmal. The goals we conceded were so poor and the players particularly at the back and in midfield didnt look like they were bothered they didnt challenge and left Daniels horribly exposed, that is not to say he should not shoulder some of the blame also. Goodison am afraid was totally uninterested and jogged around the pitch contributing very little. All in all an absolute horror show.
Barnes and Mcateer cannot continue on like this when does a situation become untenable? I believe certain players did not even travel home on the team coach rather they bummed lifts off supporters so they could get home faster. This to me just sums up the lack of team spirit and the lack of direction from the management team, they should have been made to get on the supporters coach and sit with the supporters they so badly let down! As for Mcateer what a petulant imbecile sent from the dugout for giving home supporters the finger. What summed it up for me was the queue of travelling fans waiting to be let out of the ground at half time. I left after 65 minutes and there were Millwall fans leaving also complaining they had come to see a game of football and that was not what they had seen! We are an absolute joke and the blame for this is not simply down to John Barnes it is down to everyone involved with the club. Here is the order of blame as I see it:

1/ PJ: He was the one who made the initial decision to replace an experienced manager with an inept one. He is also responsible for slashing an already tight wage budget with an even smaller one. He is also responsible for not doing something about the current situation sooner, or at least trying to address the supporters worries. In doing what he has done he has managed to alienate the club from its supporters and has made supporters feel completely undervalued.

2/ The management team: What can be said that has not been said before. Barnes although seemingly a reasonable fella comes across as very stubborn. The squad he has assembled is inbalanced and he has signed players that simply are not fit enough to play. e.g Bain, Ricketts, Broomes, Carole. Surely when you have a tight budget you need all of your players immediately fit and ready to play? Tactically he is playing a system that does not work with the players he has assembled and is reluctant to change this. he has no idea about how to make a team defend and as a result we have the WORST goal difference in the entire football league. Steve Claridge mentioned the other week Barnes needed to travel the length and breadth of the country in order to understand the league and the players. What did Barnes do the following week? He was in the echo and the post in a high vis jacket brushing up the streets of Liverpool. He seems to be unable to motivate the players and numerous stories have come out of the club about players walking out and training ground bust ups, the most recent involving Curran and Bain. He appears to have amazing powers of telepathy because he must communicate with Mcateer somehow but never seems to talk to him during the game. Quite simply a manager who does not know how to manage.

3/ The Players: They cannot be without blame also. They signed contracts with this football club to play football. Their contract was agreed as was the wages before they put pen to paper, so complaining about wages etc simply doesnt wash with me. Many of the senior players do not look bothered and although they may not want to play for the manager they SHOULD want to play for the supporters. In short they couldnt care less about the supporters, this was obvious by the way some of the players conducted themselves at the training day, they simply did not want to be there. Many of the summer signings have not put consistent good performances and some of the players who were here last year are a shadow of their former selves. Ultimately in the situation we find ourselves it is the players who should be battling their hearts out on the pitch and simply put their not. Again I will quote Steve Claridge on saturday night, when he said the players were not putting any effort in.

4/ The Supporters:There is blame on us for not doing anything about the current fiasco. As I see it there is 3 camps at the moment,

a/ Those who dont want to do anything: For reasons such as it will hurt the club, it wont make any difference what we do, its pointless. And these people seem to take great pride in shooting down those people who want to do something resulting to name calling and questioning peoples intelligence. They only want to support the team, and there is nowt wrong with that, however I fail to see how you can support a team that dont give a toss about you.

b/ The stay away supporters: Those who wont go whilst Barnes is in charge, or want to hurt PJ in his pocket. Again its peoples entitlement to stay away and not spend their hard earned money watching rubbish. However it is exactly these supporters that are contributing to the problem of falling wage budgets. As attendences have fallen so has the wage structure of the club. Also by staying away you take your voice away from the ground. By sitting on your PC and moaning about what goes on you are not getting your point over to the club, it would be better to actually go to the game and let them hear you. But as I say its understandable especially in hard times financially that this is an option many people will take.

c/ Those who want to do something: But ultimately do nothing. (I am in this camp) We talk all week about doing this and that but when it comes to the crunch we have no backbone and we do nothing. Either we get put off by those who wish to do nothing, or we decide a draw is good enough and go home happy, or because the police tell us to move we all toddle off home with our tails between our legs.

The problems at the club are much more deep rooted than simply getting rid of the manager. There are problems at every level. We as supporters cannot physically make change, however we are entitled to voice our opinions however pointless people may think it is. If the supporters dont attend or are not together than we will never do anything. Am sure there will be people on here that disagree with some of things I have said and it is not a knee jerk reaction to the result on the weekend hence why I have left it till tuesday before posting.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great post there and I think it sums up the feelings of a lot of supporters at the moment. Where I tend to disagree is with the supporter participation.

Call me a skeptic but I dont believe filling in online questionaires etc have any effect on the decision made by the club. Surely they know how bad the situation is. Sadly, as supporters we have very little say in the running of the club. As much as that hurts a lot of us, its the truth, because we all want the best for our club. The only real contribution we make is via our wallets on a Saturday afternoon.

Camp C: Those who want to do something: But ultimately do nothing.
What exactly do you propose we do as supporters that will make a difference?

Player
Johnny morrissey
Yeh that sums it up well!!!
Can't get to the stockport game(hope its his last)
Hope we have a new manager in place for my next game (Brighton)[-o<[-o<[-o<

Player
Jimmy Harvey
To be honest Ian I dont think its a case of doing something that will make change happen, as you quite rightly say there is very little fans can do to influence the running of our club. I think its more a show of absolute disgust at what is going on. The Stockport game is live on sky and would provide the perfect platform for fans to show how angry we all are. Chances are anyone tuning in will see how bad we are and pundits and commentators alike will not be able to continue protecting him. We as supporters need to be united and show the club how disenchanted we are. We need a proper demonstration before, during and after the game. The time for worrying about effecting the players is well and truely gone. What cant happen is nothing............... we just need to show our discontent and I cant think of a better stage than on SKY.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
PJ isn't quite so detatched from us as people seem to think. It's not as if he's some random businessman sat in an office looking at numbers, he's a football man, he watches the matches and he doesn't need us to tell him that 22nd in the league isn't good enough. Furthermore, it's part of his job to get a sense of how the fans are feeling about issues surrounding the club, and I'm sure he's well aware that we're not behind Barnes and would like to see him sacked. Protesting and signing petitions isn't going to do anything. He knows we aren't happy, our influence on matters ends there. It's his call really, not ours. But I think it's pretty clear where the fans stand on the issue.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
We have a problem. Maybe it's as big as the Barnes problem.. well okay maybe not quite. But we do have a problem, and it's this:

There are Tranmere fans who genuinely give a damn and are intelligent, analytical people. They want to see change and send polite emails* to the bbc football league show, the girl on there says 'we've had more emails from Tranmere fans this week than any other topic' and then proceeds to read not one of them out!! Where is the debate on the disasterous start? The media has no interest in Tranmere Rovers.

Unless... it's getting some clips of a half dozen or so little scrots either fighting, protesting, or talking incomprehensible **** that reinforces the plastic scouser / bindipper stereotypes. That's what they'll bother to report.

The local news and sport at television level for both the beeb and granada are based in Manchester, so even lowly teams like Oldham, Rochdale, Bury, Stockport, Macclesfield get much better coverage than we do. The endless coverage of Joe Royle's return to Oldham made me sick to the stomach. Even other teams further afield in the northwest area like Blackpool, Crewe, Preston, and even Morecambe seem to get more frequent and more positive mentions. In Manchester it seems we don't exist, unless it's as the poor ugly inbred nephew that nobody talks about to Liverpool.

I would LOVE IT if the sky cameras managed to catch a Tranmere fan able to make valid, intelligent points that convey our upset and spark debate. But it won't happen, because those fans probably don't want to talk to the cameras, and sky would rather get some shots of scumbags.. so as well as partly agreeing with your number 4, the supporters.. I think it's worth adding a 5, the media.

*I was not one of them, but I think I might do now

M

Mal

Eloquently put, Bunny Bell

And fully agree with NBDH - BBC 390 on teletext suddenly stopped reporting Tranmere as far as I could see.

And from a business perspective, I also agree with Sonkorly , which means, with all 3 points above, we have more questions than (if any) answers.

I did feel like volunteering to attend training sessions so I could see what is going on and demonstrate that an old git like me would have passion to join in the training and want to motivate the players. Perhaps we should get a Fan team together.. (rhetorical)

M

Mal

10 years or so of Halcyon Days are overshadowed by the following stats, and I haven't included 2002 onwards. There are those of us who took 90s as 'punching above our weight, enjoy whilst it lasts'. On less than 10000 attendance, and very little money, expectations have to align with reality. Quite frankly we need a miracle. Even in the 90s the crowds were not brilliant in numbers. Money has to be found for the rather large wages Championship players demand. Where do we get that from? SORRY, the table format failed so putting links.... In the 70s the excitement was the perennial fight to get out of the relegation zone with 2 games to go (or so)

http://www.tranmereroversyears.com/years/1950-1959statistics.htm

http://www.tranmereroversyears.com/years/1970-1975statistics.htm
http://www.tranmereroversyears.com/years/1980-1985statistics.htm
etc......

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
Steve Claridge mentioned the other week Barnes needed to travel the length and breadth of the country in order to understand the league and the players. What did Barnes do the following week? He was in the echo and the post in a high vis jacket brushing up the streets of Liverpool.

Here in the Midlands Barnes was all over the local papers last week training Ethiopian kids in Leicester (No I don't believe that counts as scouting!). I was reluctant to criticise initially as it was charity work - but then I noticed sponsors logos plastered all over the lime green top he was wearing.....and then began to think his reasons for being there were less worthy. This was in the week leading up to a 5-0 defeat............Didnt he have enough to do on the training pitch and at his desk at PP?

All set for Sky chaps?

Well Well Well, stuffed at Millwall and now suffering a come from behind defeat to mighty Bury.

We have a voice if nothing else and for those of us who will turn up we should let Johnson know we care and who is fully to blame for the state the club is in - he is.

The least he can do, the very least, is to let the public who remain loyal but so sad know exactly what his plans and strategy are. How is he thinking? What are his aims? How does he think those aims will be achieved?

Tell us Mr. Johnson.

And stop blaming Barnes etc. Johnson is solely responsible for our state, and for Barnes and Mcateer being there. If they go and Johnson stays then nothing will have changed.

Johnson out asap, repeat endlessly.........

superwhite

Player
Ash taylor
I think this post is spot on, It was his decision to bring in them two. I can only see it getting worse and I think the best we can hope for at this point is to escape relegation. I just hope that something is done soon manager wise and that johnson has the guts to tell us what his plans are, I have bought two season tickets this season costing me arounds £700 of money I dont have I belive I as well as other supporters have the right to know whats going on ](*,)

Well Well Well, stuffed at Millwall and now suffering a come from behind defeat to mighty Bury.

We have a voice if nothing else and for those of us who will turn up we should let Johnson know we care and who is fully to blame for the state the club is in - he is.

The least he can do, the very least, is to let the public who remain loyal but so sad know exactly what his plans and strategy are. How is he thinking? What are his aims? How does he think those aims will be achieved?

Tell us Mr. Johnson.

And stop blaming Barnes etc. Johnson is solely responsible for our state, and for Barnes and Mcateer being there. If they go and Johnson stays then nothing will have changed.

Johnson out asap, repeat endlessly.........

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I worry about our fanbase sometimes. The most ridiculous opinions are sometimes expressed the loudest.

If PJ decides to pack up and leave then we don't have a football club to support anymore. How d'you feel about that?

He doesn't want to be here anymore than you want him out, which is why he has had the club up for sale for years. However he can't just walk away because we owe him £5.5m which could only begin to be raised by us folding and selling off all of our assets. He could shut us down at any time, and it would make his life a hell of a lot easier to do that, but he seemingly feels some sort of moral responsability to keep the club going until a buyer shows up. We should be grateful to him for that.

So, to anyone who decides to chant anything to the effect of "PJ out" on Monday, expect a swift clip round the ear from Sonkorly.

Sorry Sonkorley

Put simply - you are wrong. Johnson has had his money back time and again.
On top of rolling up and charging extortionate interest he has pocketed the vast majority of transfer money in over the years with the excuse that its required to fund the team. And hes still doing it.

He wont close us down, we are a cash cow until someone else decides they can make money in the long term and takes us of his hands.

Put it this way, if you were losing money [and unable to write off losses against your other businesses, which he can and does] would you throw good money after bad? Of course not, and neither would he. He's still on the make be sure of that.

The only benevolent people I can think of putting the club and their community first were the Chairmen of Wolves and Blackburn Rovers. All the rest are just businessmen ripping us all off. The Barcelona model of ownership by the fans is the only true way for a club to be owned by the fans - but how would we go about that I dont know. Sincerely wish we could though.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Interesting - got any proof? What kind of interest rate is attatched to the loan?

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I very much doubt we're a cash cow!!!! Haha even writing that has made me chuckle.

The club publishes its accounts at the annual meetings, i believe, making them public because of all the minor shareholders having a right to see the accounts.

As far as I know, and having not seen the accounts, I could be wrong:

• the club is losing money year on year and has been for decades, player and staff wages, and policing and stewarding costs being the main costs
  • the club has got close to break even in the past by selling 1 or 2 good players a year, but the good players to sell have dried up
  • the loan to Johnson has never been paid off, it is charged at a low but commercial rate (it's not a gift) the club has paid the interest due each year and on a couple of occasions reduced the core amount slightly, but largely the money is still owed to Johnson
  • to buy the club would cost £0. But you'd have to be prepared to take on the day to day running costs AND the interest on the 5 million loan, indefinitely.
Is the loan making Johnson money, I suppose technically it is, but it's also losing him money in a sense that the rate of interest he's charging isn't sky high. The thing is that his money is tied up with us, he can't get at it and I suspect there are ways to invest that kind of money which would make him a heck of a lot more.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm with Sonkorly and NBDH on this one. PJ may have made a mistake with JB and JMcA, but without him TRFC would not exist. Let's face it, most managerial appointments are failures. It's how chairmen react that matters. Give PJ a chance to put it right. We are not down yet, although time is running out.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
the loan to Johnson has never been paid off, it is charged at a low but commercial rate (it's not a gift) the club has paid the interest due each year and on a couple of occasions reduced the core amount slightly, but largely the money is still owed to Johnson.

First of all let me state that I know very little about finance. But this point interests me, and I'm sure the answer is fairly simple...but as I see it, Tranmere owe money to PJ, but PJ owns Tranmere. So is it not therefore ultimitely up to PJ as to when and by how much we choose to reduce the core amount owed? Why would it benefit PJ for this to be (albeit) gradually reduced when he's personally benefitting from the attatched interest payments?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think you have to stand back from a lot of this and ask yourself...in the long haul...who will still be here ? If God forbid we went down, in all likelyhood, Barnes will be gone but PJ, albeit perhaps coz he can't find a buyer, will still be here. So if I was going to chant for one of them to go, it would not be PJ. Barnes can be replaced - there are plenty of managers out there - but not too many chairman who would come in and fill PJs shoes.

PJ needs though to make some sort of communication tho, maybe in the programme on Monday, as to where he and the board stands. I suspect it would be along the lines of the board isn't happy - but they continue to have faith in the manager in the long run.

If Barnes does go then PJ will have to hold his hands up and admit he made a mistake getting rid of Ronnie and employing a big name with no real successful managerial experience (interestingly what Darlington have just done appointing Steve Staunton).