• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Team v Salford

ADD

Player
Norwood
Despite the very negative attitudes to this competition (understandably) we make £10k if we beat Salford (we have already made £30k) and then £20k if we win our round of 16 fixture. Also Sunderland who reached the final last year reckoned all told they made £1m from it albeit from a massive fanbase...
We have to field a team which is Full Available Strength. Full Available Strength means we must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet. Basically that means at least 4 players who started yesterday and/ or players who are on loan from a club with a Category 1 academy and/or players who have played at least 40 league games.
So on that basis what will/ should we do? Should we go with ours strongest side or should we give the fringe/ youth players a start given we have qualified already?
MM seemed to be suggested he would pick a reasonably strong side but I guess he sort of has to say that.
I think we should play a team along these lines given I think Salford will rest players also.
Pilling, CBJ at left wing back, Ray maybe in a back 3 with Monthe or Rides taking a rest. I think Maddox has to be given a game unless MM has decided definitively he isn't good enough with Potter who needs minutes coming back in in midfield. Give Wilson, Danns and Perks a rest maybe and Ferrier and Payne up front I assume with RHM rested also. After that depends how adventurous MM is feeling. I personally would like to see Walker- Rice in action and maybe Thompson on the bench - they need to get some first team game time soon before we get toward the business end of the season.
Well what does everyone think about this and please if you just want to say don't care as I am boycotting the comp... please do not post:)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Well what does everyone think about this and please if you just want to say don't care as I am boycotting the comp... please do not post:)
I think that is a bit of a childish attitude. For me and many others, the importance of keeping under-21 teams out of this competition, and out of Leagues One and Two, trumps any of the financial benefits you mention above. What value is £30,000 in prize money if five or ten years down the line we lose the lower divisions in their current format and effectively no longer have a club to support ?

For what it is worth, I will be going to this game as it is against a genuine team (albeit one I don't particularly like for other reasons) and I agree with most of your suggestions regarding the starting line up. I would give Ferrier sixty minutes in this game, but I think RHM still deserves to start next Sunday, alongside whichever strike partner.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with RLCs sentiments about this competition. Had work not intervened, I'd have gone, mainly out of curiosity, as not seen Rovers play Salford before.

In terms of team selection, we're already through to the next round, so we don't need to pick a full strength side, though the win bonus would be good. Is Danns on international duty again this coming weekend? No real issues with the line-up ADD suggests, think I'd also have Spellman on the bench.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think that is a bit of a childish attitude. For me and many others, the importance of keeping under-21 teams out of this competition, and out of Leagues One and Two, trumps any of the financial benefits you mention above. What value is £30,000 in prize money if five or ten years down the line we lose the lower divisions in their current format and effectively no longer have a club to support ?

For what it is worth, I will be going to this game as it is against a genuine team (albeit one I don't particularly like for other reasons) and I agree with most of your suggestions regarding the starting line up. I would give Ferrier sixty minutes in this game, but I think RHM still deserves to start next Sunday, alongside whichever strike partner.
RLC I wasn't being childish..... it was me trying to add a touch of humour - obviously in black and white it didn't work as I wasn't being serious!!:( I said myself it is entirely understandable how we all feel about this but sadly we are where we are so like you I would like to get some benefit for us....

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would like to see a couple of the younger players start, Pilling will probably be in goal, it would be good for Walker-Rice and Spellman to get some game time. Borthwick-Jackson and Maddox should start and Potter & Ferrier could do with some game time

Player
aldo
can.t see it going ahead if the rain keeps falling the roads are like rivers at the moment . i would call it off and protect the pitch for sunday its more important . if it goes ahead get maddox on the pitch or send him packing . give the ferry man a half and payne . give the lad from man u a game or send him packing . as for the lad from coventry whats the point of him being at the club . give some of the young lads a game . we could do with winning it as it gives us a home game . if we top the group . and £10k prize money

Player
Manager
John King
Line up pretty much as expected. Payne, Ferrier and Potter start and it will be interesting to see how Maddox does.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah decent team out. Strong midfield and forward line, let's hope for some goals !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No criticism of the starting xi. Mullin very out of favour and I'd like to have seen Spellman and Thompson on the bench.

ADD

Player
Norwood
No criticism of the starting xi. Mullin very out of favour and I'd like to have seen Spellman and Thompson on the bench.
Mullin is "ill" according to MM in his pre-match comments. I agree would like to see more of the youth on the bench/ playing....

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Only following the twitter updates, but it doesn't sound like a good half for Rovers.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Grew into the game and Salford haven't done anything apart from that early goal. Think Rovers will push on second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hmm ex-Rover Hogan doubles the Salford lead.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes. Poor second half from Rovers. Plenty of possession but no bite at all. Struggled to get behind the Salford defence.

Player
Manager
John King
Well, that was a pretty miserable experience.

It was a very disjointed performance, as would be expected given the number of players coming back from injury and lacking match sharpness. If truth be told, a lot of them did not really look up for it.

It is tempting to say all we really learned tonight is why the fringe players are not starting games. Borthwick Jackson did not convince and Maddox, while neat and tidy in the middle third of the pitch, did not offer enough creativity around the box. I thought CBT did ok and the two centre halves and Potter were solid enough, but the front two were not great, Ferrier looking rusty and Payne simply having a poor game. Connor was played out of position in midfield but really struggled again I thought.

The real positive for me was the performance of Luke Pilling. He made three or four good saves and I thought his handling and distribution were excellent, the best I have seen him play. I also thought Rushian and Walker Rice did well when they came on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. I suppose the only positives are that some players improved their match fitness.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Sounds like I didn't miss much! Second round draw at 2pm on Soccer Saturday this week; I'm sure the eager anticipation will remove all notions of sleep between now and then ...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Losing to a L2 side's second string has got to be seen as disappointing, regardless of the lack of enthusiasm for this competition. While perhaps Maddox needs time to adapt, it being his first start for Rovers, Borthwick-Jackson did not come with glowing testimonials from his previous loan club, Scunthorpe, so looks like being destined to remain a fringe player if he stays loaned with us.