• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Targets for next season ... who?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'd be surprised - although he was out of the dons team earlier in the season, his form in the latter part was good including a goal on the last day of the season.

So although another year older I suspect MK will want to keep him at the very least as a squad player - unless of course they overhaul their squad which although decent, failed to live up to expectations this time round.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The retained list has been announced: Kay, Harrison, Amoo, Black and McGurk all released. The only one I am surprised about is McGurk and it seems his injury record has counted against him. I think if Thompson was on a 1 as opposed to a 2 year deal, he would have gone and Adam may have stayed.

Another year offered to Goody which will enable him to have a testimonial. Even at 40/41 he is still probably more reliable than a lot of centre halves at this level; in any case, he deserved the benefit of the doubt with a new deal based on his enormous past contribution.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently mk are going to release Lowe but whether it happens and whether we can get him here are different things.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
mcgurk will be a decent signing for someone

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The retained list has been announced: Kay, Harrison, Amoo, Black and McGurk all released. The only one I am surprised about is McGurk and it seems his injury record has counted against him. I think if Thompson was on a 1 as opposed to a 2 year deal, he would have gone and Adam may have stayed.
The fact that good squad players like Kay, Harrison and McGurk are on the way out perhaps shows the club's ambition for next season. Clearly Ronnie thinks he can get better, so good luck to him.

Another year offered to Goody which will enable him to have a testimonial. Even at 40/41 he is still probably more reliable than a lot of centre halves at this level; in any case, he deserved the benefit of the doubt with a new deal based on his enormous past contribution.
I'm a bit surprised by this, but he is still performing, has a good fitness record and rarely gets any cards, so why not? He's been a great servant. I hope he gets a well-deserved testimonial after 10 years, as few players show such consistency and loyalty. It's incredible to think that it was Brian Little who brought him here!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
McGurk will be a decent signing for someone if he can stay fit. I always liked him (apart from his haircut) and all things being equal would prefer him outwide to Bell Baggie or Thompson.

Amoo was an odd one - I was pleased when we signed him and he looked ok scoring against Orient on his debut - but after that he did nothing. Another one of these where he has been equally useless out wide or up top. Think his career may just fizzle out.

Good luck to the others, will be interesting where they end up.

I'd be interested to know what deal Robbo is on - like others his form in the 2nd half of the season was fairly poor and he continues to have injury problems. A good / local character and all that but I am not sure whether we can rely on him for a full season.

Player
Achto
I like McGurk, but he misses toooooooooooooooooo many games which is a great shame for him and us.

It will be a pity he has gone, but onwards and upwards.

Cant wait to see who we are chasing.

Defo a left back for starters, as we dont have one !!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Ineresting Kay and Black have gone. Not sure how much money they were on, but in terms of squad player they were not a bad standard - so is the budget going to go up for the positional standbys in order to get better, or are there any decent reserves coming through to allow a bigger splash on nailed on first eleven. Accepted Holmes should secure first choice.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Accepted Holmes should secure first choice.

I;m not a massive fan of him - he's as average as most of the players released. McGurk has talent but injuries have clearly counted against him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I see Shrewsbury have released Matt Richards. He looked a decent player in the 1-1 at the Greenhaus, though one who seems to divide opinion; the critics say one-footed and slow.

Ryan Lowe, we'd surely have to pay a fee for if he's not out of contract?

Of the Rovers' departures, I feel a bit sorry for McGurk, but can't say I'm surprised with the others going. Also do share Sparky's concerns about Robinson, a fairly indifferent return after his injury. Probably worth another deal, but maybe deployed more as a squad player than regular.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I see Shrewsbury have released Matt Richards. He looked a decent player in the 1-1 at the Greenhaus, though one who seems to divide opinion; the critics say one-footed and slow.

I was really surprised they let him go as he was by far their best player in the two games we played against them; probably the best player on the pitch in the away fixture.

I would not mind getting him as competition for Wallace and Power but I don't know what his wage demands would be like.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Would agree Matt Richards would be a decent signing if we could get him.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Would agree Matt Richards would be a decent signing if we could get him.

also not sure we need to be splashing out on a CM when we already have 2 who are good enough to start. like for like replacement with harrison and a loanee most likely imo.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I;m not a massive fan of him - he's as average as most of the players released. McGurk has talent but injuries have clearly counted against him.
Agreed DIW, my opinion is he is ok. My point was if he is the only full back retained he will probably be RMS first choice. However, it would be a reaal upward move if we were recruiting at higher level so that this season's first choice becomes a squad player. I was wondering of the two squad full backs released that they were ok in that role so why release them. Is he going to pay more wages just for squad players or will he settle for kids in that role.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
kay was awful imo, and black injury prone. may as well try someone else and see what happens. zoum was a cheap gamble at the time we signed him.