• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Swindon

drwhoman

That goalie is a clown!
Maybe I am showing my age but grounds are generally better these days and safer too! The beer comes in plastic cups when you can get it! Not as good but.... In the 70s standing crowds had their issues. I remember being thrown down some steep stairs at QPR once due to sudden crowd movement as a result of a goal being scored while it paid to keep your allegiance to yourself when standing in parts of most grounds! They were very tribal places. I avoided Millwall!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Strange how these threads can wander from Swindon's current plight to football grounds in the 1970s, but it is the close season and not a lot is happening. (Thanks in advance, Ian, for your forbearance. ;) )

Now you mention Millwall, you were wise to avoid The Den. My last visit there was with some mates to see Liverpool in April 1989. I was standing at the away end and as I was moving towards the exit I was pushed forward by the crowd and nearly lost my footing. I would have been thrown down the concrete steps towards the gate and could have been trampled on by the crowd. On leaving the ground, away fans had to walk along a narrow passage behind the main stand. On this occasion, following a Liverpool win, we were pelted with stones by the home fans. A nasty experience. I remember at the time thinking how unsafe football ground were. The following weekend was Hillsborough.

drwhoman

I do enjoy your threads talking about the old days. If anything, it makes me feel young! :lol: :laugh:
Very droll Ian (LOL!). You are right about safety BBTC. This issue affected the clubs I went to. Some were safer than others. Leyton Orient was always a good choice even if the football could be a bit average! I had to have my Saturday football fix!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
QPR is a very tight ground and having to walk from the main entrance to be in the away end is a bit nervy. The stairs are not good either. Only once underneath, the reason I remember this is because Crouch was up front for them.
We parked once by the old white City stadium, when I saw it I couldn't believe it was a world cup ground. It was falling to bits.
Yes, the old den was one to avoid, I only experienced it once, but been to the new den a couple of times. Favourite time was the peno save by acterbung.

But worst experience was Cardiff. We parked up early in the car park across from the away end. We then went for a pint in a pub around the corner from Ninian Park.
The television was on and man u were on. Getting beat, we had a laugh and a joke with the locals. When we got in the ground just before kick off. There were a bunch of idiots and shouting at us from the side part of the big stand. We were under a barrage of missiles and abuse. These idiots were the same lads in in the pub.
After the final whistle, there was a reception waiting for us. This comprised of seven foot coppers in full riot gear and shields. There was horses and alsatians dogs who wore the same gear as their handlers. As you walked down the cauldron the dogs were barking and repeatedly asked why we were going this way and not to the coaches. As we were just into the car park, we were once again threatened by idiots, but this copper who was at least nine foot high and across frightened them away. He stayed with us until we drove away.
The following Saturday, they played Leeds at home again and after the game there was a running fight and the fence that the coppers used to keep the supporters apart, was destroyed and went on for hours. It reminded me, that could have been us! Especially if the police weren't there!

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
Very droll Ian (LOL!). You are right about safety BBTC. This issue affected the clubs I went to. Some were safer than others. Leyton Orient was always a good choice even if the football could be a bit average! I had to have my Saturday football fix!
Leyton Orient. Tranmere`s first win in London, last game of the season,, nothing to play for me and a mate, hitched hiked to London to see Tranmere win 1-0, it was the same day as the rugby league cup final, because we got a lift most of the way back, from rugby fans. Nothing to do with Swindon but a good memory.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

QPR is a very tight ground and having to walk from the main entrance to be in the away end is a bit nervy. The stairs are not good either. Only once underneath, the reason I remember this is because Crouch was up front for them.
We parked once by the old white City stadium, when I saw it I couldn't believe it was a world cup ground. It was falling to bits.
Yes, the old den was one to avoid, I only experienced it once, but been to the new den a couple of times. Favourite time was the peno save by acterbung.

But worst experience was Cardiff. We parked up early in the car park across from the away end. We then went for a pint in a pub around the corner from Ninian Park.
The television was on and man u were on. Getting beat, we had a laugh and a joke with the locals. When we got in the ground just before kick off. There were a bunch of idiots and shouting at us from the side part of the big stand. We were under a barrage of missiles and abuse. These idiots were the same lads in in the pub.
After the final whistle, there was a reception waiting for us. This comprised of seven foot coppers in full riot gear and shields. There was horses and alsatians dogs who wore the same gear as their handlers. As you walked down the cauldron the dogs were barking and repeatedly asked why we were going this way and not to the coaches. As we were just into the car park, we were once again threatened by idiots, but this copper who was at least nine foot high and across frightened them away. He stayed with us until we drove away.
The following Saturday, they played Leeds at home again and after the game there was a running fight and the fence that the coppers used to keep the supporters apart, was destroyed and went on for hours. It reminded me, that could have been us! Especially if the police weren't there!
Your experience was not unusual back then KH. I remember being convinced by a mate to go to a Liverpool away game at Burnley. We went by train.Were met by the police at the station, marched to the ground like Prisoners of War and marched back again after the game! We had done nothing but to be fair to the police there did seem some in the Liverpool crowd who were not just there for the game! I have not been to many games in England In recent years but the atmosphere seems to be far better these days even taking account of what happened at Wembley recently. Always the minority who behave badly and get the publicity!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Leyton Orient. Tranmere`s first win in London, last game of the season,, nothing to play for me and a mate, hitched hiked to London to see Tranmere win 1-0, it was the same day as the rugby league cup final, because we got a lift most of the way back, from rugby fans. Nothing to do with Swindon but a good memory.
I was there too! I couldn't understand why we hadn't won in London before until I remembered we had spent most of our existence in the Third Division North and rarely reached the FA Cup Third Round. BTW, Rovers' second win in London was at Arsenal in 1973. From bitter experience, Rovers wins in the capital are rare. Probably our most successful ground there over the years is actually Wembley!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve seen Rovers win at Fulham, Millwall and Orient while I was working in London.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I’ve seen Rovers win at Fulham, Millwall and Orient while I was working in London.
Yes, I have seen us win at Brentford and QPR as well as the above mentioned. I don't think I have seen a victory at Palace, Wimbledon or Charlton, and certainly not at Spurs (two four nil defeats on my visits). We are yet to play at Barnet.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In our non-league days, we’ve had more success. I’ve seen wins at Sutton, Dag & Red and Bromley. But at Wembley we have four wins (excluding the FL centenary cup).

Player
Manager
John King
I think our recent record at Brentford and Orient is actually quite good.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I agree. Some of the grounds in the VNL around the capital look so alike..
The 4-1 drubbing we got, when Nors scored the goal of the season, was remarkable.
I also remember that Scotty started his warm up in the dark.

Palace is a very fond memories for me. That was when Steve Coppell was running everything there. I had a long conversation with him about Rovers and his role at palace. We had a quick look around with him. And the pitch was bumpy. I asked him about it and he said that was because they were sharing with the dons.
The league cup game, which went to penalties and lost. Think we got away about midnight, felt sorry for those on the train. Myhre was in goal, on loan I think.

Fulham, the chief scoring in the FA cup from a Dave Challinor long throw.
The weather in the open end, never stopped raining, met an old Mate of mine as he was working down there. Thinking we got a win and a draw within a couple of weeks down there..

Love the thread.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Despite the takeover it looks like a further 2 players are leaving them, which will mean just 3 players left under contract

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The shame is that they will start the season with a weak team and no pre-season together. That means any team playing them in August and September will have a walk-over. This distorts the league.

Fortunately, we play them early at the County Ground, but that still makes it unfair.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The shame is that they will start the season with a weak team and no pre-season together. That means any team playing them in August and September will have a walk-over. This distorts the league.

Fortunately, we play them early at the County Ground, but that still makes it unfair.
Yes, it happened with Bolton in our League 1 season. I also remember Oldham in 2016/17 recruiting very late. Mind you, if it's to our benefit I'm more than happy!

Player
Manager
John King
At least we might actually win in Wiltshire this season, as we play there on 17th August.