• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Swindon v Tranmere

Match result

• Swindon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Who were you thinking of? The wing-backs, Clarke and Davies had steady games, Macmanaman was decent but let down by his final ball at times. The commentator said he looked a better player live than on the screen.
I would not say MacManaman's final ball was poor. He sees passes other players don't, hence they don't always come off. His first time cross for Mani's chance in the second half was a thing of beauty.

I thought he was excellent tonight (last night ?), as were Watson and Cogley, among others.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
MM says he is looking for the team to put the ball in the net. So are we!
It must be extremely frustrating for Mellon too.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Another decent performance as commented elsewhere. Mani definitely a penalty - grabbed his arm and simply pulled him to the floor. Still not enough outright chances however and yes as mentioned above worrying how easily they went straight through our midfield a few times with simple through balls along the deck. Murphy another good performance and loved the way he ran out 20 yards to give Glatzel an earful when he had pulled out of a challenge - reminded him in no uncertain terms that he is not playing U23 football now!
Yes we need a striker but (and I know players were tiring) Nevitt already so much better than the start of the season. Looks a professional fooballer at home at this level already, feisty also with the shenanigans with their CB and way better in the air than Mani. Would start him and Glatzel up front Saturday. Merrie will be back also which will be a big help.

Player
aldo
we could also do with Watson playing higher up the field he has an eye for a goal, and yes I would also start with Elliot on Saturday, and with Merrie back hope he can stay on the pitch LOL gives another option to move Watson to a more advanced position

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Another decent performance as commented elsewhere. Mani definitely a penalty - grabbed his arm and simply pulled him to the floor. Still not enough outright chances however and yes as mentioned above worrying how easily they went straight through our midfield a few times with simple through balls along the deck. Murphy another good performance and loved the way he ran out 20 yards to give Glatzel an earful when he had pulled out of a challenge - reminded him in no uncertain terms that he is not playing U23 football now!
Yes we need a striker but (and I know players were tiring) Nevitt already so much better than the start of the season. Looks a professional fooballer at home at this level already, feisty also with the shenanigans with their CB and way better in the air than Mani. Would start him and Glatzel up front Saturday. Merrie will be back also which will be a big help.
Defo start Nevitt. Preference for Glatzel to ride shot gun, but wouldn't mind if it's Manni keeping him company. Both big blokes but different types of player who may yet compliment each other.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Defo start Nevitt. Preference for Glatzel to ride shot gun, but wouldn't mind if it's Manni keeping him company. Both big blokes but different types of player who may yet compliment each other.
If Micky rotates, you would expect Nevitt and Glatzel to start, along with Merrie, but Micky is rarely predictable in his team selection and formation. ;)

Player
ian goodison
it appears MM doesn't fancy/rate Jolley but cant see the harm in giving him 15-20 mins just to see if he can do some good also it would give him some experience he certainly cant do any worse at present

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
Sadly could not get lift to the ground, my daughters partner was going to take me but had to work away and could not get back in time, listened to the game on radio Wiltshire, their commentator, commented on the lack of a cutting edge to Tranmere`s attack, without stating the obvious until we do get that much needed striker in, then we must accept the fact that 0-0 is the best we are going to get in a lot of the games. I also disagree with the Swindon supporters, that were ringing and texting in after the match, that Swindon were good enough to get promoted this season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sadly could not get lift to the ground, my daughters partner was going to take me but had to work away and could not get back in time, listened to the game on radio Wiltshire, their commentator, commented on the lack of a cutting edge to Tranmere`s attack, without stating the obvious until we do get that much needed striker in, then we must accept the fact that 0-0 is the best we are going to get in a lot of the games. I also disagree with the Swindon supporters, that were ringing and texting in after the match, that Swindon were good enough to get promoted this season.
I will be very surprised if Swindon get promoted this season

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
it appears MM doesn't fancy/rate Jolley but cant see the harm in giving him 15-20 mins just to see if he can do some good also it would give him some experience he certainly cant do any worse at present
Nothing to lose giving him a bit of a run out.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought it was another really good performance last night. We played out from the back and were controlled in possession as in previous games, but also looked more menacing in the final third, largely due to the presence of MacManaman, who gives our attacking play an extra dimension. Both teams created chances and a draw was fair, but we missed two absolute sitters from six yards, one from Watson in the first half, the second from Mani after half time.

I thought Swindon were the best team we have played so far, a much better footballing side than Vale. They moved the ball through the thirds well, with Jack Payne a constant menace in the number ten role. I think it is harsh to suggest we were not compact defensively. I think sometimes you have to credit the opposition, and in particular Payne, for causing problems with their passing and movement, and I thought Watson and Spearing screened the back five well and generally recovered their positions when they were initially beaten. In particular, I thought Watson was outstanding with his workrate and tackling.

The defence was really solid again, although KP had a shaky first twenty minutes, and Murphy again made vital saves in the second half. I thought Mani also had a much better game than on Saturday, winning some headers and linking the play quite well and getting into the box for his two chances. However, I still don't have any confidence that he will finish when a chance does present itself, and it would have been interesting to see what Nevitt made of some of the deliveries into the box from Cogley and MacManaman.

Man of the match between Murphy, Cogley and Watson.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I notice Micky was adamant a penalty should have been awarded when Mani went down in the area in the second half. I did not think much about it at the time mostly because it was not that clear to see but he probably had a point.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I notice Micky was adamant a penalty should have been awarded when Mani went down in the area in the second half. I did not think much about it at the time mostly because it was not that clear to see but he probably had a point.
I've seen the highlights it was a blatant penalty, a poor decision

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Normally I'm keen to see younger players given a chance, but not sure this is the time. I'd rather see Nevitt or Glatzel come on, like last night. While I'd have liked to see Jolley get more opportunity pre-season, can also understand Micky sticking with a main core group, as so many changes over the summer that the new players likely to start needed to gel and become familiar with their team-mates abilities. Jolley will get his chance in the Pizza Cup or maybe in league games where we're either winning comfortably or being hammered and out of other striking options.

I think Jolley's situation highlights some concerns with our arrangement with Steven Beck. He's a Triple S client, we paid a fee for him, yet he was clearly some way short of being ready last season. Still early days, but so far it doesn't seem to have been a great deal for Rovers

ADD

Player
Norwood
Normally I'm keen to see younger players given a chance, but not sure this is the time. I'd rather see Nevitt or Glatzel come on, like last night. While I'd have liked to see Jolley get more opportunity pre-season, can also understand Micky sticking with a main core group, as so many changes over the summer that the new players likely to start needed to gel and become familiar with their team-mates abilities. Jolley will get his chance in the Pizza Cup or maybe in league games where we're either winning comfortably or being hammered and out of other striking options.

I think Jolley's situation highlights some concerns with our arrangement with Steven Beck. He's a Triple S client, we paid a fee for him, yet he was clearly some way short of being ready last season. Still early days, but so far it doesn't seem to have been a great deal for Rovers
The whole Steven Beck thing has been weird for some time. I don't know how many agents there are out there but taking so many from "his" stable seems strange. That said MP 100% understands conflicts of interest which would suggest that he feels that he gets more out of this arrangement than many of us probably think he does.
In respect of Jolley it would appear that it was a bad decision and nothing so far suggests he is going to make it with us.... but then again he is ahead of Burton who was given another year and has had no minutes whatsoever even in pre-season.

Player
Manager
John King
I am in two minds as to whether Nevitt should start on Saturday. He was very lively when he came on last night and is almost certainly a better eighteen yard box player than Mani. However, for all Mani's faults he is a nuisance for the opposition and his hold up play is reasonable, whereas we struggled to retain possession in the first half at Oldham when Nevitt was up front on his own.

For Nevitt to start, he would probably have to play in a front two.

Player
aldo

Player
aldo
I would have Elliot and Mani as a front two on sat with Nevitt playing for the knockdowns or more like A Muir and Steel-type of partnership