• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Swindon Town v Rovers

Swindon Town v Rovers
Posted by Ian
County Ground
Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 03:00 AM
Until: Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After the disappointment of losing to Walsall midweek in the Carabao Cup 1st round, Rovers return to league duty on Saturday with a trip to the County Ground to face Swindon Town.

Rovers have made an excellent start to the campaign, starting with a solid 2-2 draw against Stevenage in the first game followed by a hard fought 1-0 victory against Cheltenham at Prenton Park.

Meanwhile, Swindon won their first league game of the season 3-2 against Macclesfield but have since lost their last three games. 4-0 against Chelsea U21 in the Checkatrade Trophy, a heavy 4-1 defeat against Lincoln and a 1-0 defeat at home to Forest Green in the Carabao Cup.

They will be looking to bounce back straight away against Rovers who have a few injury problems ahead of the game. Defensively, Sutton (broken leg) and Bakayogo (calf) may miss the game as well as long term absentees Buxton and Ridehalgh.

Up front, Mullin will be pushing for a starting place alongside Norwood after his efforts on Tues night against Walsall.

Player
aldo
lets hope we can finally get one over swindle town we have not had mutch luck over the years . i think a hard 1-0 or 2-1 to rovers hope banks gets one over them to

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Aside from who starts up front with Norwood, Micky has very little option with team selection due to the absentees. I suspect Stockton will get the nod, though personally would start Mullin to give him a chance to make a point against a former club.

On the face of it, a good time to play Swindon, given their poor start, they've not lived up to the promotion contenders label so far. I'd gratefully accept a point.

Player
ian goodison
I would start with ellis & mullin ellis looks a bit more composed than monthe & mullin might be more mobile than cole plus against his former club will want to impress

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I have noticed that Ellis looks a lot more comfortable on the right than left. This was really noticeable on Tuesday when Zoom departed and against Chorley in pre season. This is a worry; can Steve play left? I am really struggling with predicting results, still having little idea about how relatively strong we are against any opposition. Saturday's performance does give hope, though. I thought our attacking movement, particularly in the first half, was the best I've seen for about 5 seasons!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha..
Remember it well. Didn't go to the rescheduled game i was so angry!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Haha..
Remember it well. Didn't go to the rescheduled game i was so angry!

Me too. I think that is the only time I have ever seen us take the lead at Swindon, our record there is so appalling.

The Robins have had a slow start to the season but they still have one of the strongest squads at this level, including Diagouraga among others. With the number of players we have out, I would be happy with a point.

In the first two matches our football was superb at times, but the loss of Zoum weakens us in attack as well as defence, as so many moves go through him down the left hand side. Monthe will have to fill in at left back, where he looked less than assured on Tuesday night. ONIGP makes an interesting point about the left sided centre back, but I am quite glad that Ellis is starting as I think he is our second best centre half behind McNulty.

My preference would be for Mullin to start against his former club, but I think Micky will stick with Cole.

It sounds like there will be another big Rovers following for what should be a decent game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Never liked the place, tricky game to predict as not sure how good or not they are going for a draw 2 2

drwhoman

Fingers crossed but not holding my breath given our record there and the injuries. A draw would do. Walsall home to Macc in the Carabao Cup!

Player
aldo
yep loads of fans going there . see port vale have been given another 600 tickets after selling there first lot should be a great atmosphere . i want to win on sat but if we get a point then so be it

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
More gut feel than logic, I'm saying we'll squeeze a 2-1 win. As AM says, it will be about time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope you're right bbtc!
I'd be very pleased with a draw here, due to injuries, changes in squad etc..

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Happy with a point tomorrow, I think the reshaped defence may struggle particularly if Zoom is missing as suggested.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Has there been any news on Zoom. I must admit that he had already left the pitch before I even realised that there was a problem. I was hoping it was just precautionary but the feeling seems to be that it was a bit more serious.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thinking 0-0 draw with defences on top. Probably be 5-3 now!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m hoping both banks and mullin have an extra incentive to do well. The latter may keep his place in the starting eleven given its a trip to his former club. Although part of me thinks Nors and Mullin are too similar

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Months and Ellis replace the injured players, but otherwise unchanged.