• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Swindle 5-0 Tranmere

Player
Backayogo
I think maybe that was coming. Sometimes it can be a kick up the backside as complacency can set in. The back four have been a mixture of good and bad in recent matches. Hopefully we can kick on from here and get back on track.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
the results have been bad .it wasent good enough last night.the players shouldent get paid for that performance they should say sorry to the fans for going all that way on a friday night.no wonder we got beat goodison playing hes too old.a lot of the players are not good enough to play for tranmere.moore needs money if he doesent get it i wouldent blame him if he walked out.a lot of the players need to look themselves in the mirror.loan signings wont get you promoted.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
the results have been bad .it wasent good enough last night.the players shouldent get paid for that performance they should say sorry to the fans for going all that way on a friday night.no wonder we got beat goodison playing hes too old.a lot of the players are not good enough to play for tranmere.moore needs money if he doesent get it i wouldent blame him if he walked out.a lot of the players need to look themselves in the mirror.loan signings wont get you promoted.

Same squad that we were walking away with the league since start of the season though....

DIW

Player
Goodison
the results have been bad .it wasent good enough last night.the players shouldent get paid for that performance they should say sorry to the fans for going all that way on a friday night.no wonder we got beat goodison playing hes too old.a lot of the players are not good enough to play for tranmere. moore needs money if he doesent get it i wouldent blame him if he walked out.a lot of the players need to look themselves in the mirror.loan signings wont get you promoted.

Erm - we are top of the league (for now) so I don't think it is that bad... and maybe expectations have gone a bit high considering the first half of the season however

We really are in a bit of a rut and currently on relegation form and results. Clearly that is not going to happen but we need to pick it up or we are in danger of slipping right down and out of the play off positions which would be horrendous after the season so far. I think the injuries are really telling their toll now, in particular the loss of Wallace, Akpa, Gibson and Bell-Baggie. getting these players back in the new year should hopefully help us to kick on.
Being realistic it would an absolutely incredible achievement for this team to end up as champions or even automatic promotion, I think we would all have been impressed with top half after the last few years so to be in a position with a very very good shot at the playoffs at least is something we should be pleased about.

That said, last night was unacceptable and Ronnie has said so. I remember Les saying it a few times to absolutely no effect but suspect Ronnie will have far more influence on how the team reacts from now. A win on Boxing day crucial now - shame I won't be there.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We really are in a bit of a rut and currently on relegation form and results.
As I said on a previous thread, I am not sure that is actually correct if you look at our overall results since the injuries kicked in. Certainly not relegation form as in the previous two away games we outfootballed two top six sides and only failed to win the games because of the absence of the creative players you mention. The amount of effort our weakened team put into the Sheff Utd game probably took its toll last night.

I agree with the majority of the post though. Freak results like this happen in any season, even for successful teams. Under Kingy there would always be a thrashing somewehere along the way (4-0 at Orient, 4-0 at Portsmouth, 4-0 at Derby) but we still finished in the top six in those seasons.

The reaction from some of our supporters is predictably hysterical and ill-considered ('a lot of the players are not good enough to play for Tranmere' ](*,)).

Of more immediate concern to me is that a) we have thrown away our goal difference advantage; b) Goodison, after being excellent since he returned, apparently got skinned for pace throughout and we don't have a proven replacement until Gibson returns; c) Zoum's injury. Until Baggie returns he provides the only genuine pace out wide and will be a major loss.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, just got in and was shocked at result.
Bad night for all, but these things happen. Even the best teams get a beating now and again.

No need for overreacting.
Put this behind us and move on..

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
at least we will only drop to 2nd, at worst, as bar sheff utd, all the other games are postponed

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Swindon are one of those unpredictable sides, who on their day can be lethal. Rovers haven't been in decent form for a while now, so a result like this was on the cards at some stage.

From what I've heard and read, it sounds like everyone excepting OFW (and perhaps Cassidy) had a mare. The substitutions which Ronnie made were like-for-like; the kind of thing Les Parry would have got slated for. For example, our main vulnerability seemed to be down the flanks, so perhaps deploying 2 defensive players each side would have been worth considering. Losing there was no disgrace, but the manner of defeat and wiping out our GD advantage in the process was alarming. I don't think the Crewe game, should it survive the weather will be a walkover.

Player
Goodison
2 Wins in 12 and no home league win since September, this is beginning to resemble the slide that took Parry down at the same time last season. Hoepfully this result will get rid of some of the complaceny that has certainly been about the place the last few months. Yes we've had injuries but some players simply aren't performing like they were - Taylor, Holmes (bar Sheffield United), Robinson, Cassidy.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Yes we've had injuries but some players simply aren't performing like they were - Taylor, Holmes (bar Sheffield United), Robinson, Cassidy.

So, so true....esp since Cass was told he was going back, he hasnt performed at the same level since.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Am not sure we can criticise Cassidy too much.

He relies on chances being created. He will put them away but as Robbo and the other wide men ain't been up to it recently, that has a knock on effect on Jake

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We've had a tough run of games with some big players out. We have a small squad. Wallace's return will be a big boost and I think we'll be fine.

Cassidy is the best striker we've had at this club in a very long time and I'm not really interested in hearing people criticise him for going a few games without a goal.

We shouldn't lose 5-0 to anyone, but then again we shouldn't go to sheff united and outplay them during a bad run with a cobbled together team. Over the course of a season these things happen, and it's wise not to get too carried away when they do.

Player
Manager
John King
During this 'poor' run we have played five of the current top six with a weakened side which should be remembered. I have seen most of the games in that run and the criticism of Cassidy bemuses me. His goals ratio has still been decent, despite the missing creative players, and his workrate when playing the lone striker role against MK and Sheff Utd was fantastic. I would actually argue that his all round game has actually improved dramatically in the last couple of monmths and his hold up play is now far better than it was at the beginning of the season. To be honest, I would be happy with a striker scoring one in two and doing bugger all else (anybody remember Aldridge ?), but that has not been the case with Jake.

Ash Taylor has had a couple of iffy games but has worked his proverbials off as always. Whatever other criticisms are levelled at him, I don't think his attitude and workrate can be faulted.

The only player mentioned above who has been below par is Robinson, and I think this is because he is still either feeling his injury or is worried that his hamstring will go again, rather than anything to do with complacency.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
maybe goody had a bet on for us to get tanked ...and backfired on him!

he,s got to make up for his lost appearence money somehow!

Question is why was he so poor ?

yeah being cinical ,but i,m not from the other side of the world, just trying to make a living, which is coming to an end soon anyway ?

Player
Goodison
maybe goody had a bet on for us to get tanked ...and backfired on him!

he,s got to make up for his lost appearence money somehow!

Question is why was he so poor ?

yeah being cinical ,but i,m not from the other side of the world, just trying to make a living, which is coming to an end soon anyway ?

Go away.

Player
Goodison
I agree that Cassidy's all round play has improved and he's the best striker we've had in a while - probably since Greenacre. But he seems to have become a bit shot shy recently, I think Robinson is very unfit - he went off with cramp after 75 mins against Sheff United, he should be rested for a few games - give Kirby a chance as Ronnie keeps raving about him.

From the reports it seems like Swindon did their homework and targetted Goodison's lack of pace by playing everything at him. Normally Goodison sweeps up and intercepts balls - that's what he's good at, when's he's being targetted he needs someone like Taylor to provide some cover and support.

It's not just case of oh look Goodison's being beaten for pace (which he never had), it's also why is nobody anticipating this happening and coming across to cover - especially when it keeps happening in the same game: some players need to think on their feet a bit more.

Regarding your stupid remarks Ampelsou -when you lose 5-0 I think everyone was probably poor (not just Goodison), except Fon Williams.

Player
Manager
John King
While I agree Robinson is not in the best of form, replacing him with an untried youngster is not an option with the injury problems we have at the moment. To be honest, a below par Robbo would still be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

While I think both Max Power and Cole Stockton have great futures in the game, I am not really sure what Ronnie sees in Jake Kirby. He has never particulalrly impressed me when he has played at a senior level, and was not highly rated by most of the regular reserve team watchers.