• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Sutton Utd v Rovers

Match result

• Sutton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sutton Utd v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Borough Sports Ground
Saturday, March 19, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 19, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Next up for Rovers is a trip to the Borough Sports Ground (if you can call it a ground) to face The U's. Sutton Utd are sitting in 8th position in the league just outside the playoffs and will want to be taking all three points as they fight for their place into the top seven and will also want to break their run of two defeats to Walsall and Swindon.

Rovers come into this game after a successful week taking maximum points from their two home games and confidence will be up as Rovers look to cement their place in the top four.

Spearing could come back into contention with Morris still a few weeks away from a return. Glatzel is out for the season so expect more game time for Nevitt.

More news to follow..

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
can we get our Away form going it's not been good enough this season, the same team as Tuesday with Jay on the bench, a hard 3-1 win with both the forwards getting the goals

ADD

Player
Norwood
Warrington's post match interview was interesting. He is such a genuine guy such that although I am sure he didn't mean it but he criticised the tactics/ play away from home.
He said that the team is good enough to play the ball on the floor and look to pass around people but that away from home they had often got sucked into a long ball game by the opposition.... very perceptive that I felt.
I am hopeful therefore given two excellent wins albeit at home that we will play more positively and on the deck more against Sutton for a number of reasons:-
Murphy's distribution being so good means that we start by looking for balls on the ground and building from the flanks. Secondly, although I still feel Glatzel would have been first choice if he had stayed fit Nevitt's last two games have been excellent and Hemmings is starting to work well with him so there is even more incentive to get Warrington, McPake and Morris on the ball in advanced positions. Finally I suspect MM is playing a little bit of poker as he said Spearing would be only available for the Colchester game but I suspect he might be fit for Saturday which would be a good problem for MM to have in selection.
We have to click away from home soon - the disparity between our table topping home form and our poor away form is simply too big. I think this might be the week when it does and I am going for a 3 -1 win with Hemmings getting two and Warrington/ Nevitt the other...

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I like Warrington, he has a good future in the game but the jury is still out on McPake. I just don’t think he contributes enough. Also Hawkes but I feel he has more potential. I dunno, just a feeling I get when watching them.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I like Warrington, he has a good future in the game but the jury is still out on McPake. I just don’t think he contributes enough. Also Hawkes but I feel he has more potential. I dunno, just a feeling I get when watching them.
Yes, I thought they were both fairly disappointing on Tuesday night. Morris still offers more in my view.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
The really big miss on Saturday will, in my opinion, be Morris. He adds so much flair to the team and is also real goal threat. I just hope we can manage the win without him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree @frenchrover i think he would have been a big player for us the way the game panned out on Tues, even though we won, it was perfect conditions for him.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
For all our moans and groans about missing players, Sutton have been/are massively depleted. In theory, it should be a good opportunity to beat them but theory wins you nothing.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Warrington's post-match interview was intelligent and honest, accepting that he perhaps should have taken more opportunities to go for goal. Hopefully after getting on the score-sheet Tuesday, he'll have gained in confidence and be able to add to his tally in the coming weeks.

I agree Morris will be a big loss for us. While agreeing that neither wide player has set the place alight yet, I'm happier with the left=sided options, Macdonald seems to have reached a good understanding with Hawkes about going forward and Josh seems to create a few chances and have an eye for goal. On the right, McPake doesn't seem to be as creative, which is surprising given what he showed when at Harrogate. There doesn't seem the same understanding between him and JDC on the right, in fact Dacres-Cogley has seemed a little out of sorts in recent games.

If Spearing is to come in, who would he replace? O'Connor and Warrington both had decent games on Tuesday. Perhaps changing formation might be an option.

GTS Newport were missing 3 key players when we got well-beaten there. I understand Sutton's injury crisis is worse, but the outcome depends more on how well Rovers do on the day rather than depletion in the opposing ranks.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sutton were apparently without their entire first choice midfield on Tuesday night, and only had three players on the bench. It does seem to be a good time to play them, but I agree that we have to be far more proactive than in recent away games to get a result. I am not sure we are any more direct in approach away from Prenton Park, but we tend to let the game drift at nil-nil and don't show enough bravery on the ball.

In his pre-match interview Dawes hinted that Spearing could be available for Saturday, depending on his reaction in training tomorrow. I would not be surprised to see him start given our struggles away from home, but I can't see any other changes being made.

We have got a mixed record at Gander Green Lane, with a woeful performance on our first visit ending the tenure of Gary Brabin. However, our last visit in the 2017-18 season saw a vital victory that was a milestone on the way to promotion and a return to the Football League. Sutton's playing style has not changed much since that time, and they will be physical, direct and uncompromising.

It is always difficult to gauge exactly how many points are required in a promotion challenge, but I think we need to take at least four from the next two away games to stay on track for automatic promotion.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The monkey hangars do us a favour and win 3-2 at Newport

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That was an unexpected good result. Hopefully we take full advantage tomorrow

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great result and it looks like Hartlepool have not given up on the playoffs yet! The table does not look too bad now after a great week for Rovers. 1 point off 2nd and only 7 off top spot due to FGR continuing poor form.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I don,t care for anything but Rovers to Turn up and play The way we know they can, no bull shit and no dross just a good show for the traveling army of Loyal fans who do the miles Following the mighty, still think a 3-1 win

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Didn't even realise Newport were playing last night, that result is a welcome cure to a sore head after days drinking locally watching the racing.
Now to take full advantage today

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
In the same way that our fantastic run couldn’t go on forever, the successive trot of defeats on the road will end and today is a bright sunny day for it to happen. Even if Sutton were at full strength I think we have more quality in our squad and we need to make it count and not play their simple but effective game.
Not sure if the ground has changed with not much covered seating but will be very much a reminder of our days out of the NL. Going along to this one with optimism. Also will be great to see young Warrington for the first time who looks a great prospect and see how Elliot’s developing .