• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stockport

drwhoman

I found this Guardian article to be very interesting. With Dave Challinor as Manager they could be a force in League Two next season. Would our season have been better with him as Manager? We will never know!

ADD

Player
Norwood
I found this Guardian article to be very interesting. With Dave Challinor as Manager they could be a force in League Two next season. Would our season have been better with him as Manager? We will never know!

No we will never know....
Interesting as you say. Two things stand out from the article however - they paid a £150k fee which is bonkers at that level (and heaven knows the wages) but also Challinor's comment that National League is the hardest to get out of and that with 3 automatics and play offs they are clearly targetting back to back promotions.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
No surprise Challinor has succeeded at Stockport with a wage budget the size of the GDP of Cyprus.

He is a reasonable manager, but he was heavily backed at Fylde and was fired with them hovering around the National League relegation zone. In his first season at Hartlepool he finished thirteenth but was given time........

Mellon's career record is better.

Last edited:

drwhoman

No surprise Challinor has succeeded at Stockport with a wage budget the size of the GDP of Cyprus.

He is a reasonable manager, but he was heavily backed at Fylde and was fired with them hovering around the National League relegation zone. In his first season at Hartlepool he finished thirteenth but was given time........

Mellon's career record is better.
Agree re MM RLC but we will see how things unfold early next season. The players cannot be blamed entirely for the downturn in performance in the second half of the season.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree re MM RLC but we will see how things unfold early next season. The players cannot be blamed entirely for the downturn in performance in the second half of the season.
I am simply making a comparison between the career records of Mellon and Challinor. Despite what some people claim the records are very similar in terms of promotions won, with the difference that Mellon has generally managed at higher levels.

Mellon has two League Two promotions, and kept teams in League One and the SPL on limited budgets. Challinor has managed for two months in League Two.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have compared their CVs. I thought Dave was much younger but there is only four years difference. Micky has managed for just a couple of years more. Saying that, RLC is quite right that Micky has achieved far more and at a higher level overall.

I have a theory that managers reach a peak, after which they fail to achieve and/or drop down the divisions. Hopefully Micky is not finished yet!

Continuity was mentioned in an earlier post. I think that matters, both for management and players. I would point to Exeter, where Matt Taylor has spent four years building his squad before finally reaching his goal. You rarely get instant success, even when managers return. Let’s give Micky a few more months and build on the squad we have. Sign more players from higher tiers like Cogley and O’Connor. Over to you, James Vaughan.

Player
Manager
John King
I would point to Exeter, where Matt Taylor has spent four years building his squad before finally reaching his goal.
Indeed, and there are numerous instances of high profile managers that took several years to achieve considerable success (Ferguson, Kendall etc.). Sadly, the potential benefit of giving a manager time and space to build a team does not even seem to be a consideration with a lot of supporters.

It is worth remembering that John King finished fourteenth in this division in the first season of his second spell, despite spending substantial sums on Nixon, Harvey, Steel and others. It is highly likely he would have been sacked during that season in the current social media age.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No we will never know....
Interesting as you say. Two things stand out from the article however - they paid a £150k fee which is bonkers at that level (and heaven knows the wages) but also Challinor's comment that National League is the hardest to get out of and that with 3 automatics and play offs they are clearly targetting back to back promotions.
Wrexham spent double that fee on a single player

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Going be close in the title run in as Stockport going to lose so 1 point ahead with a game in hand and have to play Wrexham yet