• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stewards

• Thread starter Matthew The Rover
  • Start date
M

Matthew The Rover

:evil: I hate to say it, but they one's day were the worst I've ever experienced. A snippet from my match report reads:

Some Tranmere fans tried to start a "Congo" but that was stopped by the Stewards, who had earlier in the match thrown somebody out of the ground for a crime he didn't commit. At half-time, the 100 or so Rovers fans making the noise tried to move down the ground to the end Tranmere were shooting, but after they had got there and chanted a chat or two, the Rovers fans were told to move or threatened with being chucked out by the Stewards who recieved less and less respect as the match went on.

It was a disgrace, they wouldn't let us do anything. They eventually gave up on trying to make us sit in set seat numbers, which was just as well as people were complaining about it.

Overall, they were awful.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Yeah they were s***heads man. W***ers of the highest order and they were our own

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
very strict, huge killjoys. and they were trfc stewards as well, and we the traitor chant was funny.

S

Seanyb

To be fair to them, thats there job! Vats wot they have been told to do, not there fault!!!

M

Matthew The Rover

But we did nothing wrong, so was there job to evict people for no reason and move us for no reason?

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Stewards are there to enforce the rules to those who aren't willing to do so, to protect everyone else. They're paid to do it, probably not paid enough considering the amount of abuse that is directed at them. As Seanyb said it's not their fault if someone does something that's not allowed they have to chuck them out, it's simply their job.

Behave well and you'll never have problems with stewards, especially not ours, as I genuinely think we have some of the nicest, most easy-going stewards in the football league. Compare them for a second to Sheffield Wednesday stewards, or Bradford City stewards and you'll know what I mean.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Yes I have to agree that it is what the Stewards are paid to do and its their jobs. Although I would say that if they weren't sure that a certain fan did committ a crime then they should just give them a warning and wait and see if they do it again before throwing them out.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
I understand but they were calling us yobs and telling us to piss off and we just sat in our seats and never even did anything.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
It's always hard to say for sure that one particular person being ejected did do something, especially we as fans who are watching the match, not the other fans - the stewards on the other hand are being paid to watch the fans. So while you might not have seen an offense being committed, doesn't mean that there wasn't one.

Often when someone does something wrong the stewards will warn them, but that's not going to happen if when they approach someone they just get sworn at, or if it's someone that they've had to eject a number of times before... in that case they'll be out on their ear and quite rightly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Matthew The Rover said:
They eventually gave up on trying to make us sit in set seat numbers, which was just as well as people were complaining about it.
LOL, it looks as though thinks didnt get off to the greatest of starts with them. If you had set seat numbers and nobody sat where they were supposed too, isn't that not doing as you were told.

Actually, that can be a real problem, I've experienced it. If people are told to sit in the number on the ticket and they dont, then someone else comes along with their seat number and finds someone sitting in their seat. Can cause some right old problems, especially when the person who's seat that was is now stuck behind a big old post! (im not saying that happened on saturday, thats just an example).

Hmm, seems more to this than you're letting on :wink:

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
I know but there was no need for the way they were.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

what you mean NBDH they are not paid enough most stewards set on there fat asses watchin the game. Oh you will take this post off now because ive said something about the moderator!

They were totally out of order and were too harsh and if we want to move we should be able to move. We should be able to sit wereever we want they made us sit in certain places and that. They were treating us like school kids

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Birkenhead Born and Bred said:
They were treating us like school kids
I suspect several of our fans were school kids?

Besides, you may be surprised to hear that they are working in your interest.

It's better to be asked to stay in your seat by a steward than it is to get in a fight with opposition fans (there is no enjoyment or glory in getting your head kicked in) or to be man-handled by three burly members of lancashire's "finest" and chucked into a cell.

Wouldn't you rather have stewards asking you to do, or not do things than the police?

Also, there are safety concerns regarding the movements of large numbers of people. A body of supporters weighs a lot and as well as the possibility of damage to the stadium, there's also concerns about people getting squashed, trampled etc. The rules regarding supporters moving have to be enforced at all levels, be it 20 people or 2,000 - it's safety.

hillsborough2ri.jpg

M

Matthew The Rover

I did get squashed, as did two or three other people when we scored, all because we were pusdhed to the bottom of our section and the stewards pushed us back up.

I feel that I have nothing else to let on. None of us acted in any manor which was intimidating or harmful or likely to harm anybody and they still threatend us with ejection from the ground, as Birkenhead Born and Bred and Bolton Hater should confirm.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
school kids? erm...thinking back there was about 4 and I dont even know them myself and many others are al late teens early 20s as well as a few 30s and they were treating us like that.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Whats that picture all about NBDH? Several of our fans were proberley school kids me arse! Did you go? Most Stewards are t** heads and will always be t** heads FACT!!!!

You can't comment if you weren't there FACT!!

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I don't reckon that all stewards are t**s but our ones were on Sat and the Blackpool ones

S

Seanyb

No, I agree with NBDH here. You might think there being harsh not letting you move to get a better view of the stand but what if half the stand wanted to do that? The rules and regulations are there for a reason, to protect any dangers happening to us fans. They may seem a bit arsey or rude to you but thats probably because of all the unnecessary shit that they take week in week out from our own fans!!!

Player
Morrisey
If half the stand had moved and an accident had occured then I am sure that we would be on here blaming the stewards!! So I think it is better safe than sorry!!

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
right, let me get my point across, i agree, there doing there job but just read what Im saying....it was the way they spoke to us. "Piss off you yobs" thats what they said.