• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stevenage v Rovers

Match result

• Stevenage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stevenage v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Lamex Stadium
Saturday, April 23, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 23, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
All that hard work against Exeter, absolutely for nothing. Just how is our away form so bad?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yet another pathetic performance and we deservedly lost the game, we won't make the play offs meaning this season has been a failure

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Frustrating, particularly as Barrow beat Sutton to give us a chance if we’d won.

FGR promoted, Oldham’s crowd stop the match just before the end, presumably to delay their drop to the National. ;)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well we got one SOT which must have been Foley's volley right at the end of the match. Wow, just wow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds dire. I think mathematically we could still make the play-offs but it is a long shot and realistically we’ll be in L2 next season. Micky has questions to answer on the subs he made today which on the face of it were negative in a game we needed to win. It didn’t sound like Warrington made much impact again today and yet played the full game. He’s a talented youngster but has been waning in recent games and arguably needed a breather. Not that Lewis is to blame for our recent woes, but imo not the best handling of a young player either.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Am I allowed to say we are bizzarely still in with a shout albeit a pretty slim one :speechless:

On a side note, Salford were beating Oldham 2-1 until the Oldham fans decided they'd had enough and invaded the pitch. Match abandoned, will the result stand? Salford jump up to 8th just ahead of us on GD.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Oldham result must surely stand as they can’t let fans get away with that. They are bringing over 1000 next week to PP so good be a tense atmosphere.

Yes mathematically still possible and Micky will trot out “we’ll keep going”.

Sutton and Mansfield both have games in hand. Both at home on Tuesday night to Crawley and Stevenage. Both winnable. If they both win it’s season over for us really.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Regardless of other teams results our season is over as we will lose to orient we are so poor away and Micky hasn't had any idea on how to turn our away form around

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky is almost a victim of our home form which shows what we are capable of, but we can’t reproduce it on our travels. If we had the same amount of points but with a few more away wins and say the 6th best home record, many fans would be ok with that because it’s his first season back with practically a new squad. But the home record raises expectations

it is just so frustrating having such good home form and playing like we did against Exeter and swindon, to be so poor away from home. We were playing the third worst team in the league today and were convincingly beaten 2-0. We deserved nothing at all. How can we go from beating Exeter 5 days ago to this sort of performance?! It must surely be psychological in some ways but I keep going back to the odd half time change. Hemings can create and do ok out wide, but that left only Nevitt in the middle and our best striker putting crosses in that he should have been on the end of!,

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ultimately, we do need a stronger squad for next season. Bit of a clear out needed as I don’t think some of the players have the mental strength. We need fighters in there and we also need a younger squad. Too many old players at the end of their careers.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Oldham game finished behind closed doors, they lost and are relegated, likely be chaos next week

drwhoman

Amazing to think that Oldham were founder members of the Premier League! I thought a while ago that Rovers needed a sports psychologist as something must be going on given the big difference in home and away performances. The season is now over so much consideration will no doubt be given to who might stay and who might go. Certainly we need players who are mentally stronger. We have a fair few players who , on their day, are very good footballers but there is something missing from some of them.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some of it just be mental. At home with the SWA at your home stadium it’s easier to be positive and confident. Away from home it’s a different challenge and we’ve not been able to handle it

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
That will teach me not to get optimistic again! Seemed like the longest hundred mile journey back ever, mainly I suppose because we never seemed like we would score at any stage.
Yes we gifted them a soft first goal but of all the away matches we have seen, this did not seem to have any good patches and was the most limp disappointing display of all . Oddly don’t really think it is lack of effort by the boys, just seem to run out of ideas and collectively not quite good enough.We often can’t seem to understand each other’s intentions and then revert to the aimless percentage balls .
Too disappointed to write coherently: M.O.M there wasn’t one on our side - maybe ref for putting us out of our misery . Even the SWA seemed soon more subdued than we can recall in a long time. Suppose Josh Cogley and Sam Foley better than most .
Highlight of the day the picnic in the nearby park with a good bottle of wine before the game when the mood was positive full of expectation of maintaining our good winning form and making a dash for the automatics. But alas then another reality check.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Seen a few of these interviews this season after away games like this. All the same old stuff but not sure what else Micky can say

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Confirms to me some of the players do not have the fight and desire needed.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Hemmings now playing on the left with hawkes off.

tactical madness when you need to win the game
Hawkes needed to go off though, and we have not got many options with so many players out.

I think we needed to change to a 433 as the midfield could not get to grips with the game in the first half, not that the second was much of an improvement. For me, the defeat and our away form in general is about much bigger issues than sticking Hemmings wide for forty five minutes.