• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stevenage v Rovers

Match result

• Stevenage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stevenage v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Lamex Stadium
Saturday, April 23, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 23, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a potentially season defining game for Rovers in Hertfordshire on Saturday. Although we will still have a mathematical chance of promotion irrespective of the result, defeat could effectively end our play off hopes with both Sutton and Mansfield having a game in hand. We are likely to need threee points to make the top seven, with the final day fixture at Orient looking more difficult, at least on paper

Stevenage have sacked two managers this season, and the present incumbent Steve Evans has overseen an upturn in form which looks likely to keep them in the Football League. Their recent results have been pretty good, albeit they failed to beat hapless Scunthorpe in their last match. Games against Stevenage are always niggly, unattractive affairs and with Evans in charge and given their precarious league position, I don't think this game will be any different. I doubt it will be an afternoon of sexy football. Broadhall Way has not been a happy hunting ground for Rovers, and I don't think we have ever won there.

I would imagine we will start with an unchanged team, injuries permitting. In his pre-match interview, Micky said we have a few niggles so there may be one or two enforced changes. It was interesting that Mellon stated that Merrie would start this game even if Callum MacDonald was available. He praised Chris's professionalism in the period he was out of the side, and said he has now earned a place in the starting eleven on merit.

Hopefully we will finally break our away hoodoo and keep the promotion dream alive.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We simply have to win and a good performance would be a bonus, think we will win 2 1.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, win at all costs. Nothing else will do.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just a few months ago, I thought our run in would be much easier, against teams with nothing to play for. However, Stevenage and then Oldham will now be fighting hard to escape the drop. We really need to win both games before the final hurrah at Brisbane Road.

I think the last two playoff places are between us, Mansfield and Sutton. The Londoners are favourites to make it, as they are better placed and have four games against mid-table sides. We are the outsiders, but Mansfield also have to play Stevenage and finish against FGR. The Stags are erratic at the moment, so let’s hope they lose at least one game to open the door for us.

I am letting my heart rule again and backing Mart’s 2-1 win for us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Can't rule out Swindon, Salford or Newport

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I tend to agree with BBTC. I think it is between us, Sutton and Mansfield.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will come down to our away results which simply have to improve
Yes. After all the good work on Mon, it would be damn frustrating if we do not put in a performance on Sat.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As much as I dislike Steve Evans he does have a decent record in the lower leagues and this could easily be the type of game we could lose given our away issues this season.
I’m expecting the complete opposite from Exeter with a much more physical and direct game. The likes of Warrington and OConnor have struggled at times in these sorts of games on the road so does Micky change things? Should he bring in say foley or spearing? Probably not as you want to keep a winning team but it is something for Micky to consider. Hopefully mcmamaman can have another decent game and Hawkes can improve although I can imagine their fullbacks having instructions to kick the pair of them.

It is a dilemma for Micky because as great as we played on Monday, something drastic needs to change away from PP.

You can only hope that the must win nature of the game means we will be positive and go for it which could play into our hands

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Newport v Colchester tonight one to keep an eye on. A win for the hosts will see them overtake us on goal difference

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Newport v Colchester tonight one to keep an eye on. A win for the hosts will see them overtake us on goal difference
Yes they are still in contention along with several others

Player
Manager
John King
Newport one up at half time and currently ahead of us on goals scored.

Whatever the result in that game, our task tomorrow remains the same.

Player
Manager
John King
It means there's another team still in the hunt if they win
True, but they have played more games than all of the other teams involved.

We will still need seven to nine points from the remaining three games, or Sutton and Mansfield will finish ahead of us anyway.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They haven't looked great but Colchester look worse.