• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stevenage v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Maybe the teams near the top of the table will bring the best out of our players.

yes I was thinking that myself. We certainly did ok against Barnsley (but again rarely threatened their keeper....)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
yes I was thinking that myself. We certainly did ok against Barnsley (but again rarely threatened their keeper....)
We played Ferrier and Vaughan as a front two and looked more effective, but then reverted to a different shape today and stuck Ferrier on the wing.

drwhoman

The funny thing is that we are not out of the promotion picture but we badly need to go on a winning run. Maybe the player group might be more motivated against the better sides but are there many of them in L2? In reality, they are almost all just more consistent. The theory has always been, win your home games and at least draw those away. Trouble is we are not doing the former in which regard the lack of the SWA is a significant factor.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We're not out of the relegation picture atm either, drwhoman. I actually think we're missing the SWA more in away games, we lost both the league games at PP when fans were admitted.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
"I want us to be an organised, passing, pressing side, high energy, rock n roll football"

:oops:

This guy talks like he's in the job for the next five years. He'll be lucky to still be here in five months!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
"I want us to be an organised, passing, pressing side, high energy, rock n roll football"

This guy talks like he's in the job for the next five years. He'll be lucky to still be here in five months!
That is what worries me Ian. He was brought in on a short term deal to bring the best out of a talented group of players in a specific period, similar to the job Dawes was doing. However, he often talks and acts as if he has had to perform a complete rebuild.

It is such a missed opportunity for the club after the money that was invested in the squad in the summer.

Last edited:

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Just listened to the post-match interview.......what a lot of meaningless dross....he just can't

keep still he is that embarrassed, and rightly so after that "performance" against a team joint 2nd to bottom......only one way you're taking us Keith and that's........DOWNHILL.

drwhoman

The way things are I think you are right Ian. Very disappointing. Mediocrity is a good description perhaps. At least with Covid there is less chance of him making things worse by bringing in some of his favorite players! Nothing can be changed now but I really wish we had stuck with Dawes and Parky. At least with them we could have put any failures down to managerial inexperience. Maybe KH has had too much!

Player
aldo
this is what I was getting at the other week like it or not I would have kept Daws and Sparky, and not hired a guy who in his interview today looked like a tramp in a TRFC hat, everything he says in it is just not happening and I am glad his contract gets extended only if we go up, the way things are going he got no chance

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just watched the "extended" highlights - IFollow struggled to pad it out to 7 minutes! I must admit I did like the commentator describing us as meandering in mid table!
Looked and sounded like an awful game bereft of quality and from what I saw almost zero energy despite what Hill said post match. Incidentally not seen any comments on here but the highlights showed a penalty appeal at the end where we surrounded their player accusing him of diving but from the camera shot on IFollow it did look as if Khan may have pushed him so could maybe have been even worse.
Negativity and Hill pleased with the perfomance and saying he is building something here is beyond parody given how we were playing when he took over.
Surely with 1 win in 6 and 5 points out of 18 the best thing for us would be for the season to be abandoned now. No risk then of wasting more money on bringing in some Hill recommendations and MP could furlough most players and save some money we can ill afford spending.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
this is what I was getting at the other week like it or not I would have kept Daws and Sparky, and not hired a guy who in his interview today looked like a tramp in a TRFC hat, everything he says in it is just not happening and I am glad his contract gets extended only if we go up, the way things are going he got no chance

Spot on with that description AM.

Have just watched the 'highlights' The incident at the end ADD refers to looked like their player cutting across Khan, there was contact but it would be a very harsh penalty if given.

Player
aldo
look at the end of the day I have nothing against Hill, but he was and is on a hiding to nothing when Daws and Sparky having had such a good run and the lads playing so well, it is like we have gone backwards, all the bull of high pressing and wanting the fans to be exited by the amazing attacking football, I might be going over the top but MP wants to go up, but with the tramp in charge things are going to have to change and fast

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
look at the end of the day I have nothing against Hill

but with the tramp in charge things are going to have to change and fast

That made me laugh.
I know what you're saying though AM. I think the biggest enemy for KH is time. We want to see immediate success with this squad and I just don't think he is that kind of manager. He's going to be on a hiding for the rest of the season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the biggest enemy for KH is time. We want to see immediate success with this squad and I just don't think he is that kind of manager.
I agree, Ian. He was given time both times at Rochdale and made immediate progress but promotion took more than a few months. At Barnsley and Bolton, he was not given enough support.
Given his past record, I think he could get us up next season, but how many managers achieve promotion in their first season at a new club with another manager’s players? I’m not saying he hasn’t made mistakes, but let’s not assume he’s not a capable manager. To get promotion you need either a top manager (which we couldn’t get) or take a chance with a bright, ambitious rookie (which we’ve tried before). Let’s get behind Keith. He’s the only manager we’ve got and MP won’t sack him unless we plummet into the relegation zone, which is unlikely.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For the money invested in the squad and the players at our disposal, we are seriously underachieving this season. The ball will stop with KH although he knew that when he took over. We need to see alot better than what we saw on Sat with was pretty terrible in all honesty.