• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Stevenage v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Broadhall Way hasn't been a happy hunting ground so far for Rovers. Lost two, while the other game involved a late screamer from the home side pegging things back to 1-1. Stevenage looked in decent shape drawing at table-topping Burton on Monday, they're still within sight of a play-off spot and manager Graham Westley is a master of the footballing dark arts.

We must get something from each of the last 7 games to have a chance of securing our league status. As usual, I've no idea what side Micky will select, but for me, we need to pack the midfield, be hard to break down and take advantage of any attacking opportunities coming our way. Something like;

OFW
Holmes Ihiekwe Donacien Ridehalgh/Taylor
Green Laird Jennings Power
Shuker/Hume
Odejayi

Think we might come out of this with a draw but winning unlikely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think were going to lose to pile more pressure on.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
On recent form it is difficult to see us taking anything from this game, but we really need at least four points from the Easter matches. As Boz says, our record at Stevenage is poor: our only decent performance there was when we were top of the league under Ronnie, and even then we did not win.

First and foremost, we need to be difficult to beat and I would be surprised if we go with 4-4-2. However, if we do play two strikers I think Humey might get a start after his performance on Saturday.

We have generally struggled against Stevenage's direct approach, but they are apparently playing a bit more football these days, which may give us some encouragement.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If we were at home I would go 4-4-2 and drop Donnelly for Hume. Iain has 3 in his last 2 reserve games and Donnelly has gone off the boil (albeit due in part to Micky playing him out wide).

However as we're away I expect a 4-5-1 but similar to Boz's team, I would go with Hume behind Odejayi in a 4-4-1-1. Humey does have a bit of magic in him and over the years has scored some decent long distance goals and may be difficult to pick up playing behind the big man. Whether Josh Thomspon returns will be interesting and as others have said, Holmes should be playing.

As RLC says Stevenage do play a bit more football than they did under Westley a few yrs ago when they were not nice to play against at all. He'll have them fired up though as they'll see it as a must win game being 2 points off the play offs and being at home against a side in the bottom 2.

Hartlepool have a tough trip to Newport but given recent form don't be surprised if they pick up something although their run can't go on forever. However newly managed Cheltenham have a winnable game at York albeit who won 4-1 in their last home game. So anything could happen!

I can't see us winning this one and would take a point hoping other results go in our favour.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They will be a typical Graham Westley side big strong and physical cant see anything but a home win 2 1

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
I am going to be optimistic and go to the match believing we will at least pick up a point.

Agree we must set up to be hard to beat and not concede a soft early goal. We need our battlers Holmes & Laird on the pitch, Dugdale on the bench and I hope Taylor fit rather than Liam and we have a decent chance. We have capability in the squad and just hope we can put it together. The wonderful thing about football is that it can often produce the unexpected, so l hope we can create a surprise tomorrow.

Have twisted the arm of my wife to attend who only goes to a couple of games a season but she has never seen Rovers lose over many years, so let's hope the trend continues.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am going to be optimistic and go to the match believing we will at least pick up a point.

Agree we must set up to be hard to beat and not concede a soft early goal. We need our battlers Holmes & Laird on the pitch, Dugdale on the bench and I hope Taylor fit rather than Liam and we have a decent chance. We have capability in the squad and just hope we can put it together. The wonderful thing about football is that it can often produce the unexpected, so l hope we can create a surprise tomorrow.

Have twisted the arm of my wife to attend who only goes to a couple of games a season but she has never seen Rovers lose over many years, so let's hope the trend continues.

Lets hope she is a good luck charm again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm hoping Mrs Brightonian can work her magic too.

Team selection today is worrying. Brezovan keeps his place in goal, think a little fortunate given the goal we conceded last weekend. However no recall for Holmes; wonder what Adams has against him, while the useless Dugdale keeps his place. Taylor returns but as a winger and a 451/4411 formation. Defence all wrong for me and less hopeful of a result now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No Hume or Donnelly in the starting eleven and Brezovan keeps his place ahead of Fonners.

I don't agree with either decision. Brezovan did ok last Sat but Fonners should be starting in such an important game.

Hope I'm eating my words

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Dugdale chosen again by Adams.....guess what we're a goal down from a corner after 3 minutes. Absolute disaster Adams.

M

Mal

And now Carlisle 2-1 down. How things change..... And Newport have pulled one back

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Finished 2-2. Having come from behind and taken the lead just before h/t, it sounded like Stevenage were largely on top for the 2nd half; apparently we didn't have a goal attempt after h/t before their equaliser. Other results didn't particularly change things at the bottom, though Oxford's win may mean they'll be safe by the time we play them. Must beat Luton Monday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Usually I would say 2-2 is a decent result. Sounds like they played quite well too but in our situation we need to be picking up more points. This will go to the wire.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Ian that it's a decent result usually but must win on Monday. Disappointing to concede at 2 set pieces. Will wait any reports as to whether brezovan could have done any better.

Good to respond though after going a goal down and not conceding again after they made it 2-2.

We're unbeaten in 2 games now! Let's go for it on Monday against a Luton side who will be suffering after their result today.

Brightonian

Player
A scrappy game on an awful pitch. You would not have thought we were so many places behind Stevenage and more than held our own.

The goal against after just a couple of minutes was one of the tamest we have conceded this season (although many others from set pieces). Corner to the near post unchallenged which Brezovan might have come for but he stayed flat footed on his line and the ball passed him very tamely. Peter was really shaky for the next half an hour but recovered to make a couple of decent saves in the second half.

We were well on top leading up to half time and our second goal, a well taken header by Kayode was no more than we deserved. Whilst we were not playing too much flowing football the understanding improved and I thought Rob Taylor made a difference playing some intelligent balls and linking play. It was too the great credit of the boys that they had picked themselves up, raised the tempo and exerted themselves over the opposition, aided by a very large and vocal SWA.

In the second half whilst Stevenage had more of the play, I did not feel unduly concerned and we were never really under the cosh. Maybe a goal against could have been avoided if we had put on some fresh legs with maybe Laird joining the action. Mickey made the bold move of bringing on Hume who did show a couple of nice touches but he is not so quick these days. We actually could have won it in the final minutes when we countered attacked and George Green was played in from our left and really should have scored from about 10 yards putting the ball about a foot wide with Hume unmarked screaming for it if he had squared it. Also a free kick again by Green got around the wall and was saved

Brightonian

Player
Meant to mention performances: My MOM would be KAyode who held up the ball really well and did his best in the sole striker role and was fouled covertly and cynically throughout by Dembele in particular. Thought Max had quite a decent game as did Taylor. Ihiekwe had a good game and made some well timed interventions and was good in the air. George Green was everywhere and had them worried but he sometimes through his tender years did not always see the pass or tried to do too much but he was always likely to make something happen. Adam Dugdale was not too bad at all today and competed well but his distribution is very limited. Liam did well getting forward and played better than of late in defence although beaten a couple of times by their winger early on.

Yes Mrs Brightonian still the lucky charm, so far this season W2 D2 L0 and we think she has seen well over 50 games without ever seeing a defeat. Could really have had the 3 points but at least a decent platform for the Luton home game.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Thanks for the great report Brightonian, as you say I guess we'd have settled for a point beforehand but dropping two points again after leading does feel like a defeat. It doesn't help that Carlisle salvaged a point late on, and Hartlepools also managed a draw. So, on to Monday and another "must win" game.
All our thanks also to Mrs Brightonian for turning out today, any chance she can make the final 6 games?

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with most of what Brightonian says. I thought this was a very good performance by Rovers that should have resulted in three points; other than a ropey first fifteen minutes we controlled the game and deserved to win. The catalyst for the performance once again was George Green. He showed incredible enthusiasm and energy, and a lot of quality, and lifted the performance of the players around him when we were struggling early on.

The first quarter of an hour was pretty shambolic defensively. Their first goal was a free header from a corner on the six yard line, which Brezovan came for, flapped at and missed; he did ok thereafter but I agree with those that say Fonners should have been in goal. After their first goal, we looked very shaky at the back for fifteen minutes or so. We ceded far too much space in the left back position and allowed Stevenage to get in behind us far too easily with straight balls through the middle. I feared the worst at this stage, but fortunately we settled midway through the half and got a grip on midfield that we did not really relinquish for the rest of the game. Green started to pull the strings, and in the twenty minutes leading up to half time we pretty much battered them and deserved to go ahead.

Contrary to what has been said eleswhere, in the second half we looked very comfortable, still controlling midfield possession and keeping a good shape. I thought Stevenage were deeply average for the majority of the half, and it was only when Westley gambled by throwing on three substitutes that they started to trouble us, Brezovan making a couple of decent saves prior to their equaliser, again poor defending from a corner. We continued to look dangerous, with Green and JMW causing a lot of problems, but the one criticism would be that we did not make their keeper work. As Brightonian says, we nearly won it late on after a great counter-attack which Green narrowly failed to finish, a victory which would have been deserved in my view.

To give Micky some credit, it was encouraging that after Stevenage equalised he made a positive substitution, putting on Hume and going 4-4-2 rather than shutting up shop, and in the last ten minutes we looked the team most likely to win the game. I disagree with Brightonian about Hume; he looked very sharp when he came on and put in by far his best performance since returning, and he and George Green might just give us the extra spark and quality we need to stay up.

The one real frustration is the quality of our defence. If we were even half as good defensively today as we were in midfield and attack, I think we would have won quite comfortably. The back four still looks unbalanced. Hopefully Thompson will replace Dugdale soon, but I would also like to see Holmes back in the team and Ridehalgh dropped at left back for Taylor. We looked particularly vulnerable in the full back positions today, and I think there are too many sub-standard individuals and square pegs in round holes in the back four at present.

Overall, a positive display that gives me encouragement that we can survive. Man of the match, George Green.

Player
Manager
John King
Just wanted to add that the Tranmere fans were fantastic yesterday, both in terms of numbers and volume. Our away support this season has been excellent given the circumstances.