• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bolton, Bury and mac
The same clubs who voted to demote us, voted to end the season as they couldn't afford play behind closed doors yet 8 of them did and 1 took our place. Excuse me if I am not in favour about what other teams want or think.
Yes, they demoted us in self interest and - like us - they are in favour of this rule in self interest. If the cap is not introduced, all clubs in the bottom two tiers face financial hardship.

I think the survival of those clubs - including Tranmere - trumps the short term interests of Sunderland and Portsmouth.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes, they demoted us in self interest and - like us - they are in favour of this rule in self interest. If the cap is not introduced, all clubs in the bottom two tiers face financial hardship.

I think the survival of those clubs - including Tranmere - trumps the short term interests of Sunderland and Portsmouth.
But if the clubs don't want to spend above a certain amount then don't do it, fairly simple really. But if the likes of mansfield, Salford and forest green spend their owners money then so be it.

Player
Manager
John King
But if the clubs don't want to spend above a certain amount then don't do it, fairly simple really. But if the likes of mansfield, Salford and forest green spend their owners money then so be it.
But it is not simple is it, otherwise Bury, Bolton and Macclesfield would not have gone bust ?

It is about protecting clubs. Some chairmen will put their club at risk through irresponsible spending. And in turn that causes wage inflation and forces responsible owners to spend more than they would want to do and is sensible.

This rule will prevent irresponsible owners from overspending.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I have nothing against a salary cap in principle, though I do think the differentials between the leagues should not be as vast as those currently suggested, which creates a big gulf to straddle for a promoted team and major issues for one relegated. I’d feel more comfortable if L2 cap was a minimum of 2/3 the L1 figure.

There is also a strong argument for the salary cap to be applied to the whole footballing budget for a club rather than just the playing side. Notlob for example are reported to have paid around £250,000 in compensation to Barrow for the services of Ian Evatt. Significantly more than what Rovers are said to be getting from Dundee Utd for Micky, yet there won’t be any argument on here about who’s the better manager. A good manager and back room/support staff can make a big difference and the irresponsible owners shouldn’t be able to get around a cap by investing more than they can afford in that area. It also feels more egalitarian than pinning the financial consequences of the pandemic purely on the players.

drwhoman

A cap is desperately needed provided it is well structured to start with. Are the EFL capable of that?! How does it work in other sports? The key is to sort out how some clubs will try and rort it and cover those situations in the rules! The obvious stuff is sponsors giving players cars or accommodation expenses. There will be other things. Also, the penalties for rorting have to be tough. The Rugby League here in Australia have a cap and clubs have lost Premierships and paid big fines for being found guilty. If the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth do not like it - hard luck. An unkind person would say that with their past resources and history they should not be in L1. Bad management has a price!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The vote to decide when to start the season now delayed too Friday 24th july, typical of the league.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don’t understand why they’re delaying the vote. While there cannot be total certainty re the pandemic, second spike etc, it makes life very difficult for those clubs who are trying to be financially responsible.

Player
Manager
John King
Wycombe promoted this evening. In normal circumstances I would be pleased for them, as it is something of a fairy tale for a club of that size to reach the Championship.

However, they finished eighth and were on a downward spiral when the season was curtailed. It just feels like more salt rubbed into our wound.

Player
Manager
John King
Don’t understand why they’re delaying the vote. While there cannot be total certainty re the pandemic, second spike etc, it makes life very difficult for those clubs who are trying to be financially responsible.
Agreed, can't see any reason for the delay.

drwhoman

This would be a joke if it was not so serious. I suspect that there are some personal animosities in play here. The Chairman of the Scottish FA is also involved in the relegation spat with Partick through his club? Very dodgy.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
This would be a joke if it was not so serious. I suspect that there are some personal animosities in play here. The Chairman of the Scottish FA is also involved in the relegation spat with Partick through his club? Very dodgy.

Wow! I don't think the SFA's PR department will be winning may awards this year ...

Player
aldo
one thing that needs sorting out first is the EFL ITS SELF, useless bunch of twits who can not organize a piss up in a brewery ahhhhhhhh rant over

drwhoman

I agree AM although the EFL just appear totally incompetent. In Scotland it all seems to be a bit more than that!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
From BBC Boris saying that "from October, he said audiences will be able to return to stadia for sports and performances under the plan." Doesn't sit very comfortably with a vote to start playing end Aug/mid-Sept and a bunch of clubs who don't want to play without gate receipts, does it?

Player
Manager
John King
From BBC Boris saying that "from October, he said audiences will be able to return to stadia for sports and performances under the plan." Doesn't sit very comfortably with a vote to start playing end Aug/mid-Sept and a bunch of clubs who don't want to play without gate receipts, does it?
More superb planning by the EFL.

Player
Manager
John King
It looks like MP's forecasting model based on an October start with attendances may be spot on. If only somebody with his common sense was leading the EFL!
Yes, which shows why we have been reluctant to sign players. A few chairmen will be feeling nervous now !

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Yes, which shows why we have been reluctant to sign players. A few chairmen will be feeling nervous now !
Indeed, every new signing a furlough burned. I bet there are some interesting clauses within the players' contracts on recent signings!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
the teams with plenty of signings have their owners money so I doubt they would be too concerned as it is only around 1 month without crowds if things go to.plan.