• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
BTW did anyone see the CUFC tweet thanking the EFL for finanically supporting them to play in the playoffs... this gets murkier and murkier. I was already wondering how the L1 and L2 clubs got fit so quickly... it seems now that they on the QT they had restarted training which means come off furlough (paid for by the EFL) - we are a shareholder in the EFL so the EFL are using our money to help L2 clubs train and play. You couldn't make it up!
View attachment 115View attachment 115
a total disgrace it just gets worse and worse.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We might start seeing a lot more of this in the coming months but Wigan have entered administration which may come with a 12-point deduction leaving then perilously close to the relegation zone and Oldham have dismissed a winding up petition after paying an outstanding tax bill.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We might start seeing a lot more of this in the coming months but Wigan have entered administration which may come with a 12-point deduction leaving then perilously close to the relegation zone and Oldham have dismissed a winding up petition after paying an outstanding tax bill.
If a points deduction was applied to a club in League One I wonder how we would be affected ? No doubt the EFL would try and carry any punishment forward, rather than applying it this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn’t Mark say in one of the Facebook meetings that he wasn’t in favour of points deductions for going into administration in the current climate?

Player
Manager
John King
Didn’t Mark say in one of the Facebook meetings that he wasn’t in favour of points deductions for going into administration in the current climate?
Yes, but no action has been taken by the EFL. The penalties are unchanged.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
August 29th with September 12th as back up if first date is not possible are the proposed dates to start next season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If L1 and L2 start next season behind closed doors, how can they make any money? If it wasn't financially viable to finish this season, what's different about next season?

Player
Manager
John King
If L1 and L2 start next season behind closed doors, how can they make any money? If it wasn't financially viable to finish this season, what's different about next season?
I think it is another hairbrained Parry idea.

There is no way League One and Two clubs should be playing behind closed doors. It will be financially ruinous at this level.

Last edited:

drwhoman

I think it is another hairbrained Parry idea.

There is no way League One and Two clubs should be playing behind closed doors. It will be financially ruinous at this level.
I agree RLC unless all clubs get a hand out from the top tier! I am not holding my breath!

ADD

Player
Norwood
One of the suggestions of course was all games ie including Saturday 3pm kick offs being available on Ifollow - at £10 head that nets the club around £7 per viewer. Not much I appreciate but no policing costs, stewarding costs etc. means it is pretty much straight profit. Issue of course is it is very sterile so how many will bother paying.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And like MP says, you will get groups of people watching the game so split that £10 between 5-10 people and its just not viable.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with all the above. Should be looking at delaying the start of the season until we can play in front of some spectators.

Player
Manager
John King
One of the suggestions of course was all games ie including Saturday 3pm kick offs being available on Ifollow - at £10 head that nets the club around £7 per viewer. Not much I appreciate but no policing costs, stewarding costs etc. means it is pretty much straight profit. Issue of course is it is very sterile so how many will bother paying.
Our biggest cost by far is player wages, and we would have to pay the players for several weeks or months with virtually no income.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Clubs would have to pay players for several weeks to get match fit before the season started, so quite an investment without any immediate income. Then, what if there’s a second spike somewhere? It could be the final nail in the coffin for some clubs.

Player
Manager
John King
I would guess this is due to pressure from the Premier League and Championship, ie they don't want a delayed start to next season because they are capable of resuming in August. However, that takes no account of the very different financial circumstances of lower division clubs.

The Premier League tail wags the dog once again.....

Reactions: Ian

ADD

Player
Norwood
Our biggest cost by far is player wages, and we would have to pay the players for several weeks or months with virtually no income.
I never said we didn't RLC - I pointed out that it is a potential revenue source but yes it is unlikely to be enough for many clubs... as we go to 1 metre this weekend should be possible to get a decent number of fans into grounds - maybe no away fans might be agreed so you can spread fans more widely without losing half a terrace due to segregation.

Player
aldo
another reason we need as much st sales as poss. it helps the club in loads of ways. the amazing support the club has given the community gas been fantastic and we need to give it back and look after the club. I know not everybody can do it but it helps them so much

drwhoman

The no fans into grounds argument loses some puff when the government says that all schools willl reopen and that there will be fines for non attendance. There will be no social distancing there! Kids are kids!