• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
Ian Goodison
he still lives around the wallasey area.

Yes he lives on Warren Drive (nice area)

Unbelievable he was earning over 600k a year (12k a week) at Blackpool and the new owner offered him a new two year deal but with a 50% wage cut (6K) which is still weigh out of our league.

Bolton are interested and Jay is held in high regard by them, he also has a part time role at Liverpool coaching under 15s & 14s which might be made full time which has probably come a couple of years to early as he is only 31 (32 later this year).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes he lives on Warren Drive (nice area)

Unbelievable he was earning over 600k a year (12k a week) at Blackpool and the new owner offered him a new two year deal but with a 50% wage cut (6K) which is still weigh out of our league.

Bolton are interested and Jay is held in high regard by them, he also has a part time role at Liverpool coaching under 15s & 14s which might be made full time which has probably come a couple of years to early as he is only 31 (32 later this year).
Bolton have agreed compensation for Ian evatt from barrow and his backroom staff rumoured to be around 225k so they are starting to splash the cash.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bolton have agreed compensation for Ian evatt from barrow and his backroom staff rumoured to be around 225k so they are starting to splash the cash.
How stable are notlob these days? Would have thought it was a bit of a risk on both sides; Evatt might not replicate his Barrow success, while his new club didn’t give Keith Hill that long to turn things round. Hopefully it will all end in tears.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
How stable are notlob these days? Would have thought it was a bit of a risk on both sides; Evatt might not replicate his Barrow success, while his new club didn’t give Keith Hill that long to turn things round. Hopefully it will all end it tears.
they recently defaulted on monies they owed to the davies family yet are paying out decent money in comoensatio , not sure where the money is coming from.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Read somewhere around the time of their last takeover that the new consortium had taken out a £22m loan to help pay off all outstanding monies owed.
Potentially could’ve taken a new loan out as they’re not the wealthiest of groups to take over a club, which if true would mean they’re in for an even rockier road further down the line.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, I don't think they'll be going crazy with the spending. They are still skating on very thin ice.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Read somewhere around the time of their last takeover that the new consortium had taken out a £22m loan to help pay off all outstanding monies owed.
Potentially could’ve taken a new loan out as they’re not the wealthiest of groups to take over a club, which if true would mean they’re in for an even rockier road further down the line.
Yes, I think the original takeover was funded by more debt.

They never learn......

drwhoman

he still lives around the wallasey area.
Thanks bigmart. Blackpool was a long way to hike to train and then to join the coach for away games etc. he will not be short of cash having been a Liverpool first teaser for a few years. That said, he is only 31 and he was Blackpool captain. He will be very saleable at the right level.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Absolute joke.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Have no particular issue with that - happens every so often that 7th placed team gets promoted when miles behind team in 4th... seem to recall we did similar...
Will be interesting what happens in Scotland today - though I read elsewhere that legal action looks perhaps less likely

drwhoman

I have just been having an exchange on the Guardian blog after the Northampton game and was accused of whining about the situation and the person saying it had no idea about the margin for error alternative and that it would not affect most clubs. Just goes to show what short shrift the EFL gave to anything but their lazy option. In reality, I think we have to get used to L2 and to hope that a strong squad can be formed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Have no particular issue with that - happens every so often that 7th placed team gets promoted when miles behind team in 4th... seem to recall we did similar...
Will be interesting what happens in Scotland today - though I read elsewhere that legal action looks perhaps less likely
there is a hearing today to decide what route the legal action takes.

Player
Manager
John King
The point I was making was that Northampton were only in the play offs by their finger nails, so it is likely they would not have even made the top seven after 46 games.

So a team that quite possibly would not have made the play offs replaces a team that quite possibly would not have been relegated.

It emphasises the absurdity of points per game.

Player
Manager
John King
A team one point inside the playoffs with ten games to play is given an opportunity to play for promotion, whereas a team three points from safety with a game in hand gets no opportunity to play to preserve its place in League One.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the EFL stance would have been more defensible if they’d simply replaced us with the team in 4th place, not that I’d have been content with that.

ADD

Player
Norwood
there is a hearing today to decide what route the legal action takes.
I am reading it may have been delayed until tomorrow assuming you mean Hearts. Not sure about the Belgium one?

ADD

Player
Norwood
BTW did anyone see the CUFC tweet thanking the EFL for finanically supporting them to play in the playoffs... this gets murkier and murkier. I was already wondering how the L1 and L2 clubs got fit so quickly... it seems now that they on the QT they had restarted training which means come off furlough (paid for by the EFL) - we are a shareholder in the EFL so the EFL are using our money to help L2 clubs train and play. You couldn't make it up!
1593508188212.png1593508188212.png

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think the EFL stance would have been more defensible if they’d simply replaced us with the team in 4th place, not that I’d have been content with that.
At least they would have been true to the principle of not completing the season - rather than it being an EFL/TV Money decision. I'd have preferred just the 3 to go up but I'm biased and that may have been mentioned before ...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I am reading it may have been delayed until tomorrow assuming you mean Hearts. Not sure about the Belgium one?
The Scotland case was due to be heard today but.may be delayed.