• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
RLC/BBC- the EFL statement said that any other proposals should be submitted by Tuesday next week and as I read it the EFL say would be voted on at the same time as their other proposals so assuming that MP submits it or a version of it then it will be voted on? Interestingly we have always technically had this option but now the EFL is explicitly stating this! Of course, there is now the option for other Clubs to submit counter proposals which may not suit us....
I guess MP has to decide if he submits it and it is not approved then it potentially weakens our case to go to court since the rest of the EFL have been given an "equitable" arrangement and still don't want it. So if he thinks the vote will be lost maybe he would prefer to not put it forward?

Looking at MP's analysis it is complicated by the fact that he has 2 different scenarios but looking only at the one where there remains some relegation which I think is more likely then it is interesting that the Championship is most affected by it!!

In the Championship 7 teams would be added to the playoffs!! Charlton would stay up.
In L1 3 teams would be added to play offs. We would stay up obviously!
In L2 2 teams would be added to the playoffs. No change to relegation with Stevenage down (or Macc if they are deducted points).

So (and I am not the best at stats....) would I be right in thinking that in the Championship then the only teams that SHOULD object to this would be the 4 teams that are already in the play offs since their chances of being promoted are significantly lowered plus the 2 teams still in relegation spots who will want to play on? so 18 for and 6 against.
In L1 the 4 teams currently in the playoff would object as not in their interests. For all the other 19 teams surely they are either in favour (the teams who are added to the playoffs) or ambivalent - I assume that Southend and Bolton are not interested as so far away from safety. So that is 19 for and 4 against.
In L2 nobody wants to play on so the the 4 teams currently in the playoffs would object and the remaining teams should be ambivalent aside from Stevenage of course but they have already accepted going down as have Macc if they get points deducted by voting not to continue the season.
So that means FOR 57 Against 14.
HOWEVER
Would all L2 teams quite like having Tranmere back in L2 as we will materially increase their gates assuming that we get back playing with fans? If that is so, then L2 becomes only 2 For and 22 Against in which case it would become 39 For and 32 Against...
If we then factor in clubs that don't like us/ think we are being self serving and should have kept quiet then we could be quickly outvoted.
Apologies for the length but I am so wanting this to work out for us....
What do people think about my logic?
Have the EFL become so worried about legal threats that they will now push in our favour behind the scenes?
I don't think clubs in League Two would oppose the plan because they want us back in their division for financial reasons. We are hardly as big a draw as Sunderland or Ipswich and our away support is only average in League One.

As I have said, I think it is more likely the EFL will prevent the plan from reaching a vote as they won't want to accept any plan that reduces or cancels relegation. They are concerned that if EFL clubs don't relegate the Premier League might not, which would (in their view) set a dangerous precedent regarding the future relationship between the Premier League and the Championship.

drwhoman

You may be right RLC but I just wonder whether you are ascribing too much power to the EFL. As I think has been said before they will be trying to avoid as much legal action as possible. If there is an alternative that they know a significant number of clubs support then they are not going to block it. There are two real issues with Mark's very sensible proposal. Firstly, it will go over the heads of many club owners and they will instinctively go for what suits them best personally and not the game. They will be keeping many clubs afloat financially at present and virtue has no place in such circumstances.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Regrettably, having just read tonight's BBC on-line report (bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52854470) of an EFL statement released today regarding the play-offs, I believe the EFL have no intention whatsoever of allowing any change to their own PPG proposal at their meeting scheduled for the 8th June despite earlier in the week asking for other proposals from the clubs....I particularly draw attention to the final paragraph which states that "As a result it plans to hold the League One and League Two play-offs as soon as practically possible to avoid a negative impact on the four clubs taking part in the play-offs, particularly the three that do not gain promotion". The reference to 4 clubs taking part and 3 not gaining promotion completely blows a hole in any genuine commitment to consider any alternative to their own simplistic and flawed proposal.

drwhoman

Regrettably, having just read tonight's BBC on-line report (bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52854470) of an EFL statement released today regarding the play-offs, I believe the EFL have no intention whatsoever of allowing any change to their own PPG proposal at their meeting scheduled for the 8th June despite earlier in the week asking for other proposals from the clubs....I particularly draw attention to the final paragraph which states that "As a result it plans to hold the League One and League Two play-offs as soon as practically possible to avoid a negative impact on the four clubs taking part in the play-offs, particularly the three that do not gain promotion". The reference to 4 clubs taking part and 3 not gaining promotion completely blows a hole in any genuine commitment to consider any alternative to their own simplistic and flawed proposal.
I take your point frenchrover, and I agree that the EFL is being a bit cute and are paying lip service to other proposals, but what they are promoting is what they believe has the best chance of being accepted by 51% of the clubs. They believe that no one will be able to complain that their alternative has not been ‘considered’.

Player
Manager
John King
I take your point frenchrover, and I agree that the EFL is being a bit cute and are paying lip service to other proposals, but what they are promoting is what they believe has the best chance of being accepted by 51% of the clubs. They believe that no one will be able to complain that their alternative has not been ‘considered’.
The EFL should have allowed other proposals to be submitted and discussed weeks ago. They should be trying to find the fairest option, not the one that causes them the least inconvenience.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
good article this... wriiten before the EFL statement I believe...

A hard-hitting article that exposes the weaknesses in letting the clubs decide and the unfairness of PPG. Thanks, ADD. It’s nice to know we are not the only ones who think it’s all ridiculous. It could only get worse if Donald Trump got involved.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
According to journalist Alan nixon the efl plan to relegate a team from league 2 might not be accepted, so things could get get even messier.

drwhoman

A hard-hitting article that exposes the weaknesses in letting the clubs decide and the unfairness of PPG. Thanks, ADD. It’s nice to know we are not the only ones who think it’s all ridiculous. It could only get worse if Donald Trump got involved.
Funnily enough BBTC I was thinking the same thing the other day! Mind you, he would be the EFL but he would also have a quiet investment in one of the clubs! This is apparently the case with chloro what’s it that he has been promoting! He has a shareholding in a manufacturer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The.legue.2 clubs that are in the play offs are back training, so it looks like that unless the vote is to.play on then we will be relegated.

• Sad
Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Funnily enough BBTC I was thinking the same thing the other day! Mind you, he would be the EFL but he would also have a quiet investment in one of the clubs! This is apparently the case with chloro what’s it that he has been promoting! He has a shareholding in a manufacturer.
As long as Trump doesn't get a shareholding in TRFC, I won't mind!

Player
Manager
John King
with our luck, the games won't get played and the league will promote the fourth team.
I think you are right. I think they would still promote four teams in the event that the play offs are cancelled.

drwhoman

I see the PL are likely to go for unweighted points per game if there is a second spike and their season has to be abandoned. Not a good omen. BTW, and I know we are not meant to be political here, but from afar it appears that the UK govt could have handled covid a lot better although I am not saying that the Australian government has been blameless. Let’s not talk Bushfire management either!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wycombes owner has said they have lost 1million so far and are likely to lose 2.5 million in total.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wycombes owner has said they have lost 1million so far and are likely to lose 2.5 million in total.
You wonder what the state of clubs will be when football resumes again?