• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's a well-argued proposal, but it took me ages to read and to understand. It is very complicated, which will count against it. But it is by far the fairest proposal I have heard and it is practicable. Only an inflation proposal, as MP puts it, is likely to be fair to all parties. Off to bed now, Hope I can get to sleep!

Player
aldo
I was a little bit drunk when reading it . have done so again and as said above the knobs at the EFL are so dumb that they would need mark there to do it for them

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sadly as.good.a.proposal.that it is the league will not consider it and won't consider anything but the vote.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It's a well-argued proposal, but it took me ages to read and to understand. It is very complicated, which will count against it. But it is by far the fairest proposal I have heard and it is practicable. Only an inflation proposal, as MP puts it, is likely to be fair to all parties. Off to bed now, Hope I can get to sleep!
I don't think it is complicated but Palios felt the need to include a lot of detail to cover himself.

If the distance to safety is within the margin of error you do not go down, and if the distance to the play offs is within the margin of error you can take part in them If you want.

That is all he is saying.

drwhoman

I see Wimbledon and Rochdale are pushing to end the season now. No surprise there then! As a 51% majority will be enough to end the season and relegate us I think we will have to prepare for L2 next season. Not very fair but self interest will always win.

Player
Manager
John King
There are rumours in the media that MP's proposal could be one of the options voted on next week.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There are reports on Twitter that the vote for next monday has been delayed a week and that the proposal out forward by Mark is going to be a 3rd option on the vote, unconfirmed so fae

drwhoman

There is an article on the Guardian football website and it seems all is still up in the air. Any decision will be delayed at least a further week. A number of options are canvassed but Mark’s is not mentioned. However, it does say that Rovers and Posh are threatening legal action.

Player
Manager
John King
There is an article on the Guardian football website and it seems all is still up in the air. Any decision will be delayed at least a further week. A number of options are canvassed but Mark’s is not mentioned. However, it does say that Rovers and Posh are threatening legal action.
More recent articles suggest MP's proposal is being considered.

drwhoman

A number of MPs are demanding action to help save lower league clubs, money being provided by the govt to a new football authority which would take a small shareholding in relevant clubs in return for cash. Several chairmen support it including, bizarrely, the chairman of Sunderland!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A number of MPs are demanding action to help save lower league clubs, money being provided by the govt to a new football authority which would take a small shareholding in relevant clubs in return for cash. Several chairmen support it including, bizarrely, the chairman of Sunderland!
Unless they are.sold again then Sunderland will have to cut costs so they could do with any extra income.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thta's ok - yes I just saw that. Thinking that this is a sop to Tranmere and not intended to do anything different but given they have delayed things for another week they are making restart even less likely...
That said maybe they are worried about potential legal action and now at least assuming we submit the proposal other Clubs have to positively shaft us now...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
assuming we submit the proposal other Clubs have to positively shaft us now...
And I think they will. It’s all about self interest in today’s game and I’ll be very surprised if we come out of this one with a positive result.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
And I think they will. It’s all about self interest in today’s game and I’ll be very surprised if we come out of this one with a positive result.
Actually, Ian, I think they might not. The MP proposal makes no club worse off than under PPG but stops clubs like TRFC and Peterborough taking legal action. The only possible downside is that some leagues will be inflated for a year or two. A small price to pay. The important thing is - quite frankly - that MP needs to state his case in more simple language.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with BBTC. I think our proposal could win if it ever got to a vote, but the EFL probably won't let it get that far.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with BBTC. I think our proposal could win if it ever got to a vote, but the EFL probably won't let it get that far.
Actually, the threat of legal action might persuade the EFL to actively support it. Basically, it is down to MP’s reputation, communication and negotiation skills. He will have. Even on the phone to most of the other owners for the past week.

ADD

Player
Norwood
RLC/BBC- the EFL statement said that any other proposals should be submitted by Tuesday next week and as I read it the EFL say would be voted on at the same time as their other proposals so assuming that MP submits it or a version of it then it will be voted on? Interestingly we have always technically had this option but now the EFL is explicitly stating this! Of course, there is now the option for other Clubs to submit counter proposals which may not suit us....
I guess MP has to decide if he submits it and it is not approved then it potentially weakens our case to go to court since the rest of the EFL have been given an "equitable" arrangement and still don't want it. So if he thinks the vote will be lost maybe he would prefer to not put it forward?

Looking at MP's analysis it is complicated by the fact that he has 2 different scenarios but looking only at the one where there remains some relegation which I think is more likely then it is interesting that the Championship is most affected by it!!

In the Championship 7 teams would be added to the playoffs!! Charlton would stay up.
In L1 3 teams would be added to play offs. We would stay up obviously!
In L2 2 teams would be added to the playoffs. No change to relegation with Stevenage down (or Macc if they are deducted points).

So (and I am not the best at stats....) would I be right in thinking that in the Championship then the only teams that SHOULD object to this would be the 4 teams that are already in the play offs since their chances of being promoted are significantly lowered plus the 2 teams still in relegation spots who will want to play on? so 18 for and 6 against.
In L1 the 4 teams currently in the playoff would object as not in their interests. For all the other 19 teams surely they are either in favour (the teams who are added to the playoffs) or ambivalent - I assume that Southend and Bolton are not interested as so far away from safety. So that is 19 for and 4 against.
In L2 nobody wants to play on so the the 4 teams currently in the playoffs would object and the remaining teams should be ambivalent aside from Stevenage of course but they have already accepted going down as have Macc if they get points deducted by voting not to continue the season.
So that means FOR 57 Against 14.
HOWEVER
Would all L2 teams quite like having Tranmere back in L2 as we will materially increase their gates assuming that we get back playing with fans? If that is so, then L2 becomes only 2 For and 22 Against in which case it would become 39 For and 32 Against...
If we then factor in clubs that don't like us/ think we are being self serving and should have kept quiet then we could be quickly outvoted.
Apologies for the length but I am so wanting this to work out for us....
What do people think about my logic?
Have the EFL become so worried about legal threats that they will now push in our favour behind the scenes?

drwhoman

Congratulations on an immense amount of work ADD. The stats are very interesting. What is clear at this stage is that the longer the debate goes on the less chance there is of the remaining fixtures being played. It then comes down to the alternative that causes least dissension. In this regard, the EFL is really powerless. It can only present the alternatives for the clubs to vote upon. With only 51% being needed for a successful option I do not think that Mark will be successful but hope springs eternal! It then becomes a discussion as to whether Rovers take legal action, which is a difficult one. What are the chances of success and how much will the action cost? Could the money be better put towards ensuring we have a strong squad in L2 next season?