• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

drwhoman

This all confirms what I said earlier. There has to be a salary cap. We have one here in Rugby League and teams have lost Premierships for flouting the rules. It also makes for a more even competition and stops the over ambitious from taking huge financial risks.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
According to Alan nixon, prem teams be I g asked to go e £200m to league clubs which will be £1m per.league one club and the vote to decide the league will be on June 1.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
According to Alan nixon, prem teams be I g asked to go e £200m to league clubs which will be £1m per.league one club and the vote to decide the league will be on June 1.
Nixon thinks the League One clubs will vote to end the season regardless, but the vote will be tight.

You would think that kind of sum would enable every club to complete the season. But many will still want to save the costs of testing, wages etc, unless completing the season is a condition for receiving the money.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Nixon thinks the League One clubs will vote to end the season regardless, but the vote will be tight.

You would think that kind of sum would enable every club to complete the season. But many will still want to save the costs of testing, wages etc, unless completing the season is a condition for receiving the money.
you would think so however........

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A little late, I know, but I’ve just thought of a “solution” to this problem. Whenever it is safe to do so, why not finish this season but with no promotion or relegation. Then start 2020/21 straightaway. When both seasons are finished, you add the points up for BOTH SEASONS to decide automatic promotion, relegation and playoffs. That way, no club is unjustly relegated but this season’s results so far will still matter and could help a team get promoted.

Why not just finish this season, you may ask? If you just do that, It will be difficult to maintain the integrity of the competition, as mid-table clubs will just field weakened sides to save money. Under my proposal, clubs could let player contracts lapse in June and then negotiate new contracts from when this season resumes until the end of next season. It would mean clubs could plan, knowing which division they would be in.

It may sound complicated at first, but it’s quite simple and might just work.

Player
Manager
John King
I think a less convoluted option is simply to cancel relegation this season, as Palios has suggested.

I doubt more complex alternatives will get any traction at this late stage.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We also have no idea when the 20/21 season will begin. It’s not looking any time soon.

drwhoman

A little late, I know, but I’ve just thought of a “solution” to this problem. Whenever it is safe to do so, why not finish this season but with no promotion or relegation. Then start 2020/21 straightaway. When both seasons are finished, you add the points up for BOTH SEASONS to decide automatic promotion, relegation and playoffs. That way, no club is unjustly relegated but this season’s results so far will still matter and could help a team get promoted.

Why not just finish this season, you may ask? If you just do that, It will be difficult to maintain the integrity of the competition, as mid-table clubs will just field weakened sides to save money. Under my proposal, clubs could let player contracts lapse in June and then negotiate new contracts from when this season resumes until the end of next season. It would mean clubs could plan, knowing which division they would be in.

It may sound complicated at first, but it’s quite simple and might just work.
A good idea BBTC but I think that opinions as to the best outcome are now quite entrenched and the wisdom of Solomon will be needed to arrive at a solution that does not give the legal profession easy money.

drwhoman

I am not sure if there are any similar situations in L1 but Barnsley will take legal action if they are ‘relegated’ from the Championship as two other clubs are under investigation for selling their grounds to their owners in breach of the rules. This did, of course, greatly increase their spending power in the transfer market

Player
Manager
John King
The Championship are due to complete the season but Charlton had only been in the relegation zone for six days when the season was postponed and would take action.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why are these muppets at the EFL so obbsessed with relegation? Integrity my a**!

ADD

Player
Norwood
Why are these muppets at the EFL so obbsessed with relegation? Integrity my a**!
I would hazard a guess that like with Bury, Bolton et al they are incompetent and want to be seen to be in charge. The fact that in the greatest peace time crisis of the last 300 years they feel they need to do something would be beyond paraody if it wasn't so manifestly completely illogical and damaging. A child of 5 would see right through their approcach FFS.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It is a complete joke, teams get the chance to.play for promotion but teams do not get the chance to play to avoid relegation.

The vote is next monday, our fate will be sealed then.

drwhoman

I suspect that the issue with relegation is simply that the clubs who want to be promoted are pushing hard for this. Clubs need to be relegated for this to happen.

Player
Manager
John King
MP has put forward his alternative plan for ending the season, which takes account of the statistical margin for error.

It is more logical, and fairer, than the raw PPG proposal.

Player
Manager
John King
The work that the Palioses have put in to defend the club in this episode has been incredible. In contrast to the complete ineptitude of the EFL.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
EFL won’t get half way through that until they get confused and dismiss it completely. Great idea though, puts the ‘raw’ PPG idea to shame.