• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would suggest that it is not all the EFL’s fault. There are too many different club agendas. Self interest rather than the overall good of the game is the root cause of the problem and money, as always, has a heavy influence in that respect. Sunderland, Ipswich etc are desperate to get out of L1 and they will tread on everyone else to do it.
The issue is with the governance of the EPL and EFL. There is a lack of leadership and a lack of concern for clubs of our size. Do you seriously think Aston Villa would be relegated from the Premier League on points per game ?

A situation whereby the top two divisions play out the season and settle positions naturally, and relegation and promotion in the bottom two divisions is decided by a computer, is ridiculous. So much for the 'integrity of the game' we keep hearing about.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t think that we can be dismissive about relegation. However it is hard to know what prospect of success any legal challenge has and how costly it might prove.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are in a position to complete the season. If other clubs want to end the season prematurely in their own self interest, it should not be at the expense of a club that is in a position to play.
too right, if it is safe to do so then football should go ahead.

Player
Manager
John King
As Nicola Palios has said on Twitter, the EFL rules state that if the season is disrupted it should either resume and be played to a conclusion, or be voided. Relegation can only occur if all fixtures are completed.

However, they are now trying to change the rules to relegate a club with ten games to play, which of course the other clubs in the bottom half are happy to go along with, in their own self interest.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

That is one big hope Nicola!

drwhoman

We are in a position to complete the season. If other clubs want to end the season prematurely in their own self interest, it should not be at the expense of a club that is in a position to play.
I could not agree more RLC but we are only one club among 23 and, unfortunately I cannot see a majority worrying about any unfairness to us. It does not suit us to end the season prematurely but for many, particularly those that are not immediate relegation and promotion candidates it will. Wimbledon will be one pleading to end it!

Player
Manager
John King
I could not agree more RLC but we are only one club among 23 and, unfortunately I cannot see a majority worrying about any unfairness to us. It does not suit us to end the season prematurely but for many, particularly those that are not immediate relegation and promotion candidates it will. Wimbledon will be one pleading to end it!
Precisely. Which is why a vote among clubs who have vested interests and are not concerned with wider unfairness, is a nonsense.

There should be more options on the table than the two suggested by Parry. It is possible to reach a compromise which does not have any major losers.

drwhoman

Precisely. Which is why a vote among clubs who have vested interests and are not concerned with wider unfairness, is a nonsense.

There should be more options on the table than the two suggested by Parry. It is possible to reach a compromise which does not have any major losers.
I agree with your first paragraph RLC and would like to agree with the second. However, the EFL can only do what the clubs are prepared to do and it is quite clear that the fairest option, voiding the season, is not acceptable to those who stand to benefit from an alternative approach. The situation is further complicated by the decision already taken by L2.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with your first paragraph RLC and would like to agree with the second. However, the EFL can only do what the clubs are prepared to do and it is quite clear that the fairest option, voiding the season, is not acceptable to those who stand to benefit from an alternative approach. The situation is further complicated by the decision already taken by L2.
What you are saying is untrue. Palios has put forward other alternatives which the EFL would not allow to be included in the vote.

The vote by League Two is not binding without ratification by all clubs, the EFL and the FA. In any case, the EFL have already stated that the season will be ended differently in different divisions (which is wrong in principle incidentally).

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Incidentally, we are being bounced into this decision by the EPL's desperation to conclude their season with relegations for fear of loss of tv money. The tail wagging the dog again.

I wonder how Liverpool supporters would react if they were not permitted to complete on the pitch, their season was voided and they lost their beloved title ? Effectively the situation we now find ourselves in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the case is simply that you cannot relegate a team that has not completed their games. It’s farcical if this were to stand.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the case is simply that you cannot relegate a team that has not completed their games. It’s farcical if this were to stand.
the league have not got a clue on what they are doing, this just confirms it.

drwhoman

The EFL are caught between a rock and a hard place. There is a good article on the BBC Football website which gives an insight into many of the issues that the EFL and the clubs are facing. Self interest iis key. Clubs are driven by ambition but perhaps more importantly, by money. One positive out of all this will be the need to shake things up post Covid. Bringing in salary caps, for example, might result in a more level playing field when it comes to player recruitment.

Player
Manager
John King
The EFL are caught between a rock and a hard place. There is a good article on the BBC Football website which gives an insight into many of the issues that the EFL and the clubs are facing. Self interest iis key. Clubs are driven by ambition but perhaps more importantly, by money. One positive out of all this will be the need to shake things up post Covid. Bringing in salary caps, for example, might result in a more level playing field when it comes to player recruitment.
There are numerous alternatives open to the EFL, including the one suggested by Palios, which they are refusing to even consider.

There is no reason why we should accept an unjust relegation for their convenience.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Maybe in future some teams will not overstretched themselves too much.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe in future some teams will not overstretched themselves too much.
That’s great in an ideal world but that is not how football works. Clubs will always overspend and behave irresponsibly.

What is getting my goat is that the EFL seem unwilling to consider decent alternatives proposed to them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sadly think we are getting g to get done over and be relegated, I am disgusted in the efl but not surprised in the slightest, as for integrity !!!!!!!!!

Player
Manager
John King
Sadly think we are getting g to get done over and be relegated, I am disgusted in the efl but not surprised in the slightest, as for integrity !!!!!!!!!
The EFL is responsible for this mess.
There should be more options on the table than the two that have been put forward. As it stands, clubs are being blackmailed to either relegate us or accept financial ruin. I am sure an option for promotion without relegation could get a majority.